Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Model S iPhone/Android mobile phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Note:
Officially released for iOS!
Tesla Model S for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Android beta:
Tesla Model S Beta - Android Apps on Google Play
____
Here are some pictures from the iPhone app they are testing. It sounds like they are looking to add Android support too but at this time they are only testing the iPhone app according to one of the Tesla employees at the event.

Best feature is the ability to turn on your AC or heat remotely. Elon Musk did say during the event that the car would work by itself to keep the cabin temperature between freezing and scorching on it's own without using a lot of battery power. I left all the photos except the first two the small thumbnails since they're not as interesting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2906&d=1317659456.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=2905&d=1317659447.gif

IMG_5229.gif

IMG_5230.gif

IMG_5231.gif

IMG_5232.gif

IMG_5233.gif

Attachments

• IMG_5234.gif
    IMG_5234.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,528
  • IMG_5235.gif
    IMG_5235.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,868
Last edited:
I guess that my BB will soon have outlived it's usefulness. I've had one since the very first day they came out, but this is yet another reason to change to iPhone.

I was told that the cabin climate control can be set to keep operating after it is parked for a driver specified time.

I just hope they focus on security. The "cool" factor wears off pretty quick when someone uses it to track your car, release the door locks and steal everything inside (or similar). I don't have an iPhone and don't intend on going back to iOS (or Android), so I also hope there's:

* Web interface - HTML5 will work on mobile browsers
* Option to disable - Some might not want that open connection to their car (a-la Onstar)

Can they lock the app to your particular phone? Of course if someone stole your phone that layer of security would be gone.

Passcode-lock your phone for sure! I have my home alarm system remote control app on there as well (apart from enterprise apps with proprietary data) so, can't take the risk of not locking the mobile device itself. I know it tends to get burdensome to keep unlocking the phone with the passcode but, it's worth it.

Passcode-lock your phone for sure! I have my home alarm system remote control app on there as well (apart from enterprise apps with proprietary data) so, can't take the risk of not locking the mobile device itself. I know it tends to get burdensome to keep unlocking the phone with the passcode but, it's worth it.

I'm more worried about the protocol being open to attack, not necessarily "social hacking"

Yup. Discussed here before: Maintenance

Thanks for that. There's talks of digital signatures and such, but id the app sends the command direct, then that means the signatures are in the source code and easily discovered. Even if it pings the commands off a server in the cloud somewhere, just having a mobile app gives hackers a jump start on how to get into the system (the apps can be decompiled and the calls it makes to the server studied)

Maybe they should release a test app for a few Roadster 2.x owners. Won't be able to have the same level of functionality, but would probably help get the bugs out of the back-end before they have to ship on the higher volume Model S.

At this point, they'd probably waste more time retrofitting than it would take to solidify it for the s. this is assuming they want it there for launch of course.

At this point, they'd probably waste more time retrofitting than it would take to solidify it for the s. this is assuming they want it there for launch of course.
True... I was just trying to find a way they could throw a bone to Roadster owners that supposedly have had the hardware for such an app. Maybe they'll add them later, but Roadster owners have been asking for a while. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4388-iPhone-app

True... I was just trying to find a way they could throw a bone to Roadster owners that supposedly have had the hardware for such an app. Maybe they'll add them later, but Roadster owners have been asking for a while. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4388-iPhone-app

Ah, gotcha. If the hardware is there, I don't see why both apps can't be developed in tandem. Granted, they get more press and hype for unveiling it for an upcoming car than they would for the roadster, so maybe they're actually doing that and haven't mentioned it.

I think security can be addressed from the app itself. They can lock access to a particular set of phone numbers to a set username.

I also have a remote wipe service for my android phone, just in case.

I think security can be addressed from the app itself. They can lock access to a particular set of phone numbers to a set username.

I also have a remote wipe service for my android phone, just in case.

Ehhhh... Not really. As soon as you put the security protocols into something thats hackable you're asking for it. I could edit the app and recompile it so it bypasses any checks. Install that app on a phone and find out the id or address of a car and tap into it.

Of course this is all speculation and theoreticals, but I'm trying to impress how easy it might be to do something nasty if ou hand over the keys to the castle. Less of a problem if things are done server-side of course.