Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Menlo Park sales/service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I drove by today and all I could see was that a (chain link) fence had been installed around the place. It looked like there was a light on in one of the back service bays, so maybe someone is doing something inside, but outside it still looks run down and faded.

With the LA center officially open, I thought we'd revisit the Menlo Park location.
This place is just off the Stanford main campus. I pass it every time I go grocery shopping at Safeway. A couple weeks ago, on my way back from the store, I blindly took a couple shots with my camera as I drove by. Sorry they're not too good. I kept my eyes on the road in front of me.

2471725086_eb56b3e251.jpg
2471727310_768454b9c8.jpg
2470905551_b7b1ac4fdb.jpg
2471729372_27668861b5.jpg

It looks like they've only done some basic things to the exterior. Patched up some cracks in the siding, etc. Sometimes when I drive past at night, I've seen lights on in that back garage, suggesting some activity back there. I once recognized a Tesla employee at the Japanese restaurant just across the street. That might have just been a coincidence, but it might also suggest something is going on in there. ;-)

Last edited:
This particular stretch of El Camino used to have 3 or 4 car dealerships right next to each other. They've all closed down in the past several years.
If you look at this "Bird's eye" view from MS Live Maps and rotate the camera angle, you can see what the place looked like while still in business and after it shut down depending on when the image was taken.
Still in business
Out of business

It would be nice if MSFT and Google would time stamp their map images.

You should have seen the time when someone jackhammered the "hetch-hetchy" water main in front of the Stanford Park hotel. It flooded that site (formerly Anderson Chevrolet) and there were lots of Corvettes floating around.

You should have seen the time when someone jackhammered the "hetch-hetchy" water main in front of the Stanford Park hotel. It flooded that site (formerly Anderson Chevrolet) and there were lots of Corvettes floating around.
I vaguely remember hearing about the floating cars some time ago. When was that? I had a friend/lab mate who lived in the apartment above the Oasis. Sometimes we'd have night shifts on the accelerator. He'd complain about how it was impossible to sleep at home during the day from all the El Camino noise. It was even worse when there was construction going on.

Do you know if there are any conceptual mock-up images of the Menlo Park site similar to these?

I remember all those dealerships back in the late '80s when I'd make the odd bicycle slog to Safeway. Gone! Jeez -- I guess the riches of Silicon Valley didn't extend to buying cars in the neighborhood.

I've been here less than a decade and as far as I know most of them were still open back in 2000 or so.

2490074509_238a13b05c.jpg
2490892376_7040ce5ba1.jpg
2490074557_7992edc4e6.jpg
2490892428_075aa778ce.jpg

Last edited:
I remember all those dealerships back in the late '80s when I'd make the odd bicycle slog to Safeway. Gone! Jeez -- I guess the riches of Silicon Valley didn't extend to buying cars in the neighborhood.

Brent, a couple informative articles articles about that plot of land. One from just before, and one from just after the Tesla Menlo Park store announcement.

El Camino land may remain vacant | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET.com

The four vacant lots on the east side of El Camino Real once housed car dealerships stretching from the Stanford Park Hotel to the Menlo Station Shopping Center. But in the last three years the dealers decided to close their doors while continuing to rent the land, a cheaper alternative than continuing to operate. The last dealership, Stanford Lincoln Mercury, closed this summer.
Stanford is planning to redevelop that side of El Camino Real and wants to control all the property there before moving ahead, which is why the lots could remain vacant six more years.
The university has already bought out the leaseholder for the southernmost lot, where Anderson Chevrolet once operated, and it expects to obtain ownership of the Stanford Lincoln Mercury site this year. The university is still pursuing buyout agreements on the remaining lots, last occupied by a Buick General Motors dealership anda Ford Motors dealership.
Palo Alto Daily News

The company [Tesla Motors] last Friday signed a short-term lease with Stanford University, which owns the old Anderson Chevrolet site at 300 El Camino Real. It wants to move in before next year.

Because Stanford is preparing to redevelop its El Camino Real properties from the Stanford Park Hotel to the Menlo Station shopping center, Tesla Motors probably will have to relocate in five years or sooner.

The lease has a buyout clause, so the company would move out as soon as Stanford wants the land back, said Mike Harrigan, Tesla's vice president of customer service and support. Although he did not disclose details of the deal, Harrigan said the university gave Tesla an excellent price.

Drove by tonight and happened to be able to see through the large front window a red Roadster (maybe EP2) parked inside in the back. Seems like they're making some progress.
Other things I've noticed in recent weeks is that the chain link fence has gone away, one corner of the front building has been modified, and unfortunately there's some new graffiti in a couple spots.

Last edited:
I thought this had been mentioned here before, but scrolling back I do not see it.

For those unaware, there will be an invitation-only grand opening of the Menlo Park store on Saturday July 19 for owners. When the L.A. store opened, they had something similar on the first Saturday it was open, but 2 days before they had that big VIP celebrity party that has been the subject of so many articles here and elsewhere. It is unclear if they plan to do anything like that VIP party for the Menlo Park store. The July 19 owners party is the earliest date of which I am aware.

I assume the store will be opened to the public at large soon thereafter (perhaps the next week).

-g

Yeah, I drove by just on my way home just 15 minutes ago and caught a glimpse of the yellow car. EP5 maybe?? Is there another yellow car that we know of? Next time I drive by in the day time, I'll try to remember to snap a photo or two for those interested.

Thanks for the update, graham.

Last edited: