Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
There were a few comments in the lighting thread but this topic may deserve its own.
I too noticed that the folks helping at the ride couldn't actually open the doors from the outside. In Doug's video one of them reaches in through the window to open the door. Maybe it's because the car is not in park that the handles don't extend?

I can think of many scenarios in which someone would need to open the door and not have a key in their pocket. Hopefully this feature, while functional and cool looking, doesn't become a major inconvenience.

Thank you for bringing this up. I was thinking the same thing, such as simple thing as the door handles could be this magnificent car's Achille's heel...

I talked a T employee that confirmed that the door handles on the betas did indeed not work (at least not well) and that was why the assistants opened the doors from the inside. "They don't want to show off a feature if it doesn't work that well." We also talked about how the door handles take a brief moment to extend and that many (like me) sometime just want to yank the door open. The extending door handle may look cool at first, but I think it may get old real fast. There are ways to make door handles flush with the body without this.

I offered the opinion that the door handles were a bit too much eye-candy, to which I heard "Elon likes eye-candy".

I've gone from negative to neutral on the touch-screen, but the door-handles... nope, they still have to sell me on that.

Another thing to consider with door handles is fingerprints. Especially if you have the black paint. You have to put your hand on something to close the door and if it's the door itself, then it looks rather yucky pretty quickly with a black car. I'm hoping the door handles have a satin type finish on them.

Another thing to consider with door handles is fingerprints. Especially if you have the black paint. You have to put your hand on something to close the door and if it's the door itself, then it looks rather yucky pretty quickly with a black car. I'm hoping the door handles have a satin type finish on them.

Not to mention, with no B-Pillar on the doors, you may end up pushing on the windows if they're rolled up. Gets nasty pretty fast.

I looked at the "rounded" flush door handles they had on the alpha on the factory floor (I believe the were sourced from another manufacturer). These were spring loaded such that when you pressed on the front of the handle the rear part extended.

I hope the final has the same "manual" mode.