Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic sunroof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
Looks like it's a pretty popular option among many carmakers

NY Times - When ‘Glass Ceiling’ Is a Positive

sorry I didn't get a pic of the roof itself, but I thought it was quite nice

IMG_1652.JPG

While at the Santana Row store, I asked what the car's interior roof would be like without the pano roof. The rep didn't know -- as far as he (or I) could recall, every Model S so far has had the pano roof!

The current interior has lots of vertical where the glass is, of course, and that will necessarily be lower by at least a few millimeters with the solid roof and headliner. But, the pano roof also requires thick channels along the right and left edge of the ceiling, which presumably won't be there. The part of the ceiling I really want to see without the pano roof is the area just behind the pano roof. Currently, there's a large ridge there, into which my head bumped as I sat upright in the rear. If that bump isn't there in the non-pano version, there will be more usable headroom without the pano roof.

While at the Santana Row store, I asked what the car's interior roof would be like without the pano roof. The rep didn't know -- as far as he (or I) could recall, every Model S so far has had the pano roof!

The current interior has lots of vertical where the glass is, of course, and that will necessarily be lower by at least a few millimeters with the solid roof and headliner. But, the pano roof also requires thick channels along the right and left edge of the ceiling, which presumably won't be there. The part of the ceiling I really want to see without the pano roof is the area just behind the pano roof. Currently, there's a large ridge there, into which my head bumped as I sat upright in the rear. If that bump isn't there in the non-pano version, there will be more usable headroom without the pano roof.

I am 6'4" so the headroom is something I'm obsessed about and I think that you are absolutely right. Without the sunroof there will be more headroom at all 4 seats. My head bumped into the thick channels along the right and left but I thought maybe I could adjust the seat better given more time (this was on 10/1).

I keep going back and forth on the panoramic roof. I guess I'll have to sit in it first to make a decision. I hope they offer test drives of both versions prior to this summer. If people have to lock in options 3 months prior to delivery, that would mean early Signature owners have to make a decision sometime in May.

Another think about the Pano roof is that you get a lot more wind noise in the cabin. At least this is my experience with other cars sunroofs. A lot of my friends ride bicycles (I do too) and have roof racks on their roofs (I do too). They produce a LOT of wind noise, especially with a mountain bike on the roof. With a standard roof it normally isn't too bad, you just turn up the radio a bit. But with sunroofs you get noise that is really hard to cover up.

Granted this car will be way more aerodynamic than the VWs, Mazda 3s and Subarus that dominate the bicycle scene in Georgia. And well you probably won't keep a roof rack on top. But you do get more wind noise through the glass, and extra seals. I used to be all about sunroofs, now I am mostly opposed. Opening up the roof isn't even close to a convertable. And really opening all 4 windows does more for me.

That and growing up in Florida has greatly warped my car decision making process. I basically think 'What will make my car LESS efficient at being a solar oven?' whenever I look at a car. I know that the Tesla will pre-AC itself. I live in Georgia where about 5-7 months of the year having a warm car is something I like.

That's my issue. I listen to satellite radio news and talk programs all day right now. However, I have zero interest in a sun roof. I have one now and have never opened it. Is there a solution to this?

Activate SiriusXM's Internet Radio for your smartphone and bluetooth-stream or USB-tether to your Model S's audio system.

Paying $1,500 for a pano roof (that you'd hate) just for the sake of satellite radio is at best odd :smile:

And, oh, if Tesla allows it (unless they insist on folks ponying up for the pano roof just for Sat radio), SiriusXM might come up with an (Internet streaming) app for the Model S touchscreen console itself - this'd serve the purpose too if you end up subscribing to Tesla's connectivity package.

I like the freedom of the smartphone (assuming you have one) option better in any case...

We don't know for sure if there's going to be an Aux-in jack on the car stereo, but it would be odd if there isn't one. Of course it's odd that they put the antenna of the Sat radio in the pano roof, but there you go.

Some bad reviews of the XM iPhone app. Hopefully they'll have the kinks worked out before you get your car.

We don't know for sure if there's going to be an Aux-in jack on the car stereo, but it would be odd if there isn't one. Of course it's odd that they put the antenna of the Sat radio in the pano roof, but there you go.

Some bad reviews of the XM iPhone app. Hopefully they'll have the kinks worked out before you get your car.

If the S supports A2DP you don't need an AUX in