Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports: Model S sport announced, and a 320 mile option.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1066795_breaking-tesla-making-faster-2012-model-s-0-60-in-under-4-5-seconds

"Cutting the brisk 0-60 time of the standard Model S from 5.6 second to under 4.5 seconds, the sportier version features the same 85 kilowatt-hour, 300 miles-per-charge battery pack found in the 2012 Model S Signature series. "

"The additional model, complete with enhanced powertrain to cope with the additional current required for faster acceleration, will be available from launch alongside the 120 mile, 230 mile and 300 mile 2012 Model S cars."

"“We’re also going to be offering aerodynamic wheels that will enable 320 mile range,” Musk told us earlier. “There were some skeptics who said we couldn’t do a 300 mile range, but we’re going to do better than that. We’re going to offer 320 mile range, as tested on the EPA 2 cycle test.”"

Edit: Also mention of a Tesla 90kW charging network! Ta da! "The 90 kilowatt units will be installed by Tesla at suitable rest-stop locations or hotels alongside arterial freeways such as I-5 between Canada and Mexico. ".

Last edited:
If it's accurate, it's a June 2012 delivery date:

"Tesla says it now has 6,000 customers who have reserved its 2012 Model S with deposits of $5,000 or more. If it sells each of the cars it has taken deposits on, that means Tesla will have sold out of the first year’s allocation of Model S sedans a whole nine months before the first one reaches a customer."

I have the same problem. I'm hoping for a crazy pop in TSLA stock to make up the difference. =P

I have a Signature reserved. I wonder if/how the price of the "sport" option will come into play. I'm interested to see if all Signature Series are "Sport" versions. My initial thought would be yes. I hope not, I don't have $110,00 budgeted for a Tesla. If I did, I'd be driving a Roadster :)

I have a Signature reserved. I wonder if/how the price of the "sport" option will come into play. I'm interested to see if all Signature Series are "Sport" versions. My initial thought would be yes. I hope not, I don't have $110,00 budgeted for a Tesla. If I did, I'd be driving a Roadster :)

I doubt they will be that much. I am interested to see how much the Sport option is though, and whether or not the Sigs are automatically Sports. I think they would lose a lot of Sig reservations if they weren't.

Same here. I just couldn't justify that much money for two-seat roadster with a max 245 mile range. But a 7-seat 300+ mile 4.5 0-60 beast? Absolutely!!! I may have to borrow a few tens of thousands, but if there's a sport version, she will be mine!

I doubt they will be that much. I am interested to see how much the Sport option is though, and whether or not the Sigs are automatically Sports. I think they would lose a lot of Sig reservations if they weren't.

Likewise, I think they'll be gaining a lot of sig reservations (mine included) if they ARE and the expected sig price still holds. I'm thinking about it now, even if the sigs aren't sport versions.

I agree. I think the Signature Series has to be something special. If my Model S Signature is 0-60 4.5 and 320 miles range, I'd say that's special.

I my speculation is the sport version is only available for 300 mile battery packs and is 5-10K more than a non-sport 300 mile battery pack.

I mean, it looks like all Sports will have the 300mi battery, so we know they need to start at least at $70k. But, I would expect that they command a premium over the regular 300mi Model S, so they will probably start at $80k-ish.

Complete speculation.

I guess we'll have to wait a few more months when they announce options and pricing. I'm ecstatic that this thing will be available in a sport version from the beginning. It is going to be a long wait until the Model S is ready!

I mean, it looks like all Sports will have the 300mi battery, so we know they need to start at least at $70k. But, I would expect that they command a premium over the regular 300mi Model S, so they will probably start at $80k-ish.

Complete speculation.