Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zero-Carbon ICE fuel

Zero-Carbon ICE fuel

http://www.airfuelsynthesis.com/news...-teesside.html

A real alternative to fossil fuels

Air Fuel Synthesis is pioneering a revolutionary concept to provide a secure,stable , and sustainable alternative to the world's constant uncertainty about the future of oil-based products.

Air Fuel Synthesis uses renewable energy to do what nature does with photosynthesis and time, converting atmospheric carbon dioxide into oil Put simply, Air Fuel Synthesis converts air and water into synthetic hydrocarbon liquids from which fuels or other oil based products can be made.

Oil is basically made from carbon and hydrogen. Carbon is in the air in the form of carbon dioxide and hydrogen can be found in water.

Air Fuel Synthesis (AFS) is the process of turning carbon in air and hydrogen in water into fuel.

Air Fuel Synthesis has identified suitable technologies and is now in a pilot stage and intends to develop this process to a commercial scale.
    Demonstration from November 2011, apparently. Until then, this reporter remains sceptical

Taking CO2 out of the atmosphere and then putting it back (plus heat) is not exactly zero-carbon. I have no doubt there's quite a bit of carbon involved in the production process.

My gut tells me this is a 'novelty' and the amount of electricity needed to "construct" artificial petroleum products would cause it to be very inefficient as an energy carrier (taking into account everything.) Better off using batteries and charging them directly. Battery improvements will be more worthwhile long term.

Looking at the 'big picture', I would think algae based bio-diesel would be a better aircraft solution long term as well until the day we get the "electric jet".

-<yawn>- Wake me up when we have cold fusion - that's the only way it will be economical to crack water. Those are some VERY stable bonds. for now all hydrogen comes from Natural Gas. At least the source is domestic but green it isn't.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    ... Wake me up when we have cold fusion -....
    Yeah!

Elon says it's not as hard as people are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Elon says it's not as hard as people are making it out to be.
    Prove it !

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    Don't confuse cold fusion with fusion in general. Cold fusion caused a stir in the late '80s and there were some small rumblings again about a decade back regarding sonoluminescence, but it's been largely debunked (or at least shunned).

In the Mahalo video, Elon specifically mentioned magnetic confinement, I suppose like a tokamak. This is in contrast to inertial confinement like they're trying at NIF.

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Don't confuse cold fusion with fusion in general. ...
    I've been DOUG'ed!

Sorry, I forget we have a bunch of physics nerds here. My point was that until we have extremely abundant, extremely cheap electricity, cracking water is a terrible way to get Hydrogen. Cold fusion was the first thing I thought of that satisfies the above.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    I've been DOUG'ed!
    BOO-YA!!! I knew all this physics was good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Sorry, I forget we have a bunch of physics nerds here. My point was that until we have extremely abundant, extremely cheap electricity, cracking water is a terrible way to get Hydrogen. Cold fusion was the first thing I thought of that satisfies the above.
    I think most people understood what you meant, and what you said made sense. Just that vfx suggested that Elon said cold fusion was easy, which would really be something since 1) that would be a bold statement even for Elon and 2) cold fusion is generally ridiculed by the physics community.

Ironically, a cold fusion experiment is essentially an electrolysis setup. A scientist actually died violently in the early '90s while doing cold fusion research at SRI, just around the corner from us in Menlo Park. The experiment ended up producing hydrogen gas through electrolysis and exploded sending pieces of the apparatus through his face and injuring a few others.

Thread Information