Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Looks like I've definitely pissed off someone at Tesla now. They used some method I was unaware of in another process to go in and delete the pending 2.13.77 update from my car.

Code:
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO setting keep alive request to 10 minute(s): remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [MessageDownloader] INFO Starting check for new messages at Tesla mothership 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO Setting keep alive to pending value of 10 for remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [MessageDownloader] INFO Processing 1 messages 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO setting keep alive request to 10 minute(s): remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [CarAPIImpl] INFO Ensuring buses are on for restart_updater 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [VehicleServiceImpl] INFO 35.616 Remote request wake_up returns true 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO Setting keep alive to pending value of 10 for remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:35 cid restart-updater: Checking gateway
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid restart-updater: Gateway is responsive.  Restarting updater.
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid restart-updater: Stopping cid-updater
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid init: cid-updater main process (156) killed by TERM signal
Mar  4 18:22:36 cid restart-updater: Restarting ic-updater
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO setting keep alive request to 10 minute(s): remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [KeepAliveManager] INFO Setting keep alive to pending value of 10 for remote API request 
Mar  4 18:22:37 cid QtCarVehicle[387]: [ModelSVehicleLink] INFO updated Tegra keep alive request to 10 minutes (expiration 03/04 21:32) 
Mar  4 18:22:40 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [CarAPIImpl] INFO Triggered restart-updater event exit code= 0 
Mar  4 18:22:47 cid restart-updater: Cleaning cid-updater spool
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid restart-updater: Starting cid-updater
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::folderChange() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::checkForIndicatorFile() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO No files present in  /var/spool/cid-updater/staged 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, update 2.13.77-U is available: false 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::folderChange() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::checkForIndicatorFile() 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO No files present in  /var/spool/cid-updater/staged 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, update 2.13.77-U is available: false 
Mar  4 18:22:48 cid QtCarServer[1419]: [SoftwareUpdateAvailableNotification] INFO Notification UPDATE_AVAILABLE cleared with value 0 
Mar  4 18:22:51 cid init: restart-updater main process (5376) terminated with status 1
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::softwareUpdateSpoolFolderCreated() 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::folderChange() 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO SoftwareUpdateManager::checkForIndicatorFile() 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO No files present in  /var/spool/cid-updater/staged 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  4 18:23:08 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, update 2.13.77-U is available: false

Basically they sent the car some command that told it to restart the updater, then the updater restarted and queried the firmware server, which, to its surprise, no longer had an update for me.

Fortunately I backed up the entire flash last night, so, I'll be going through and manually applying an update to my car for the first time later on if they don't undo this, since my car still has the charging bug and I was planning to install this tonight.

Reactions: Prefect
Looks like I've definitely pissed off someone at Tesla now. They used some method I was unaware of in another process to go in and delete the pending 2.13.77 update from my car.

This could get entertaining!

On another note, in an update to my prior post that this latest firmware seems to have improved the cars ability to handle lips when entering the garage, I don't know why it worked a few times on my first tries, but on subsequent attempts, the car refuses to clear the lip most of the time.

Before I get irritated, is there anyone else that still has this update pending but not installed? It's been suggested that I may not have been singled out and that this update was "recalled" per se. But if anyone else still has it staged (has the alarm clock) then that isn't the case.

Better yet, did anyone else that had the alarm clock have it vanish?

Wow, Tesla just commanded my car, via the updater, to redownload 2.12.45. Screw you tesla.

Code:
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# ifconfig tun0 down
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184#

Call me if you want back in. We need to have a talk.

What could they be upset about? You may be responsible for the stock going up almost 3%.

Charging issue fixed for me on 2.13.77

After installing 2.12.126 I had the half-amperage issue at anything below 64 amps. At 64 and 80 amps it stopped half-way and after 1-2 minutes it increased to the set amps. When I stopped the charger, I got a Charging Cable Fault at 64 and 80 amps.

I installed 12.13.77 today and did a quick test at 42 amps. When the amps started increasing, it stopped at 21 amps for 15-30 seconds and then continued to 42 amps. It slowed down at least 2 times after 21 amps until it got to 42 amps. When I stopped the charger at 42 amps, I got a Charging Cable Fault error message. There is still a charging issue with my Model S with Dual Chargers.

i will re-run the same tests that I did before at the same amperage settings and update this posting.

I'm going to give Tesla a very small amount of time to come clean on this by contacting me directly and putting everything back to normal. If they're going to be petty about this situation then they're going to be in for some not so fun times.

Before I get irritated, is there anyone else that still has this update pending but not installed? It's been suggested that I may not have been singled out and that this update was "recalled" per se. But if anyone else still has it staged (has the alarm clock) then that isn't the case.

Better yet, did anyone else that had the alarm clock have it vanish?

Wow, Tesla just commanded my car, via the updater, to redownload 2.12.45. Screw you tesla.

I realize that after your second post above you probably think it is a lot less likely that Tesla has pulled the update, and I'm sure you're correct. Even so, I'm going to share just one small piece of information that could be relevant if they are, in fact pulling this update.

Today was the first time I tried to start the car and drive since receiving 2.13.77. After completing a charge I unplugged the charging cable and got in the car to find the IC dark, though the 17" display appeared normal. Stepping on the brake (to attempt to start the car) did nothing. I did a scroll wheel reset, and all was fine when the systems came back up. But if this version is somehow causing cars to have the IC just freeze and turn off, requiring a scroll-wheel reset, I imagine Tesla would pull the update. Of course it could have just been some weird one-off occurrence. If it happens again I'll notify [email protected], (unless others also report similar behavior and report having already done so.)

I realize that after your second post above you probably think it is a lot less likely that Tesla has pulled the update, and I'm sure you're correct. Even so, I'm going to share just one small piece of information that could be relevant if they are, in fact pulling this update.

Today was the first time I tried to start the car and drive since receiving 2.13.77. After completing a charge I unplugged the charging cable and got in the car to find the IC dark, though the 17" display appeared normal. Stepping on the brake (to attempt to start the car) did nothing. I did a scroll wheel reset, and all was fine when the systems came back up. But if this version is somehow causing cars to have the IC just freeze and turn off, requiring a scroll-wheel reset, I imagine Tesla would pull the update. Of course it could have just been some weird one-off occurrence. If it happens again I'll notify [email protected], (unless others also report similar behavior and report having already done so.)

Maybe.

The move to try and stage 2.12.45 is interesting, and proves it's directed at me, however. Here's why. The effect is that it wipes out the partition that staged 2.13.77. A redeploy of 2.12.126 (which would undo any bugs in 2.13.77) wouldn't do that. However, for someone else, if there were a major bug or something in 2.13.77 they could just re-stage 2.12.126 without an issue and be done with it. It wouldn't matter that 2.13.77 was still on the inactive partition.

I consider this direct retaliation by Tesla for leaking the P100D info earlier. Unfortunately, for them, I also consider this to be denying me something that was advertised when I paid for the car: OTA updates. Slippery slope for them, I think, but what do I know.

What I do know is that Tesla and I are going to have to come to an agreement on this, and I'm not going to accept one that denies my car updates. I'll certainly concede to not post any major not-already-public info gleaned by my mod efforts in the future, at their request... but they're going to have to actually make that request.

In the absence of a resolution I don't think this is going to be pretty.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like there are other secrets in 2.13.77.

If the P100D moniker is in there maybe there are also art assets for the ModelS refresh or the Model 3...

Must be something major for them to force a downgrade on you

There is certainly more, and the irritated part of me is very tempted to just spill the beans. I'm going to sleep on it.

Maybe.

The move to try and stage 2.12.45 is interesting, and proves it's directed at me, however. Here's why. The effect is that it wipes out the partition that staged 2.13.77. A redeploy of 2.12.126 (which would undo any bugs in 2.13.77) wouldn't do that. However, for someone else, if there were a major bug or something in 2.13.77 they could just re-stage 2.12.126 without an issue and be done with it. It wouldn't matter that 2.13.77 was still on the inactive partition.

I consider this direct retaliation by Tesla for leaking the P100D info earlier. Unfortunately, for them, I also consider this to be denying me something that was advertised when I paid for the car: OTA updates. Slippery slope for them, I think, but what do I know.

What I do know is that Tesla and I are going to have to come to an agreement on this, and I'm not going to accept one that denies my car updates. I'll certainly concede to not post any major not-already-public info gleaned by my mod efforts in the future, at their request... but they're going to have to actually make that request.

In the absence of a resolution I don't think this is going to be pretty.

- - - Updated - - -

There is certainly more, and the irritated part of me is very tempted to just spill the beans. I'm going to sleep on it.

Nah, don't sleep on it. Just do it.

(Thank you btw for all the work you've done. Surprised Tesla hasn't reached out to try to hire you)

Nah, don't sleep on it. Just do it.

You should definitely sleep on it!

The irony in this is that you've really been very respectful towards Tesla with the info you've shared and what you've done since gaining the access that you have. Even with the information today about the 100D, you did encrypt the info. I think that many other people who found themselves in your situation with access to stuff no one else had access to, after some of what transpired with the 691 HP issue and the delay with Auto Steer, etc., would have been a lot less respectful. You haven't shared your information on how to gain access with anyone, which would probably have been the first thing others might have done, very possibly charging some hefty fee. The access you have could be very valuable to people willing to try to steal from Tesla by upgrading their own batteries from 40kW to 60kW, or turning on tech package features, etc. You would never do that, but there are people out there who would. I think lots of people would sell the steps to the back door, and then leave it at that, and Tesla would have a bit of a nightmare on their hands, trying to prevent people from stealing from them.

My point is on a scale of 1 to 10 on how negative your discovery could have been for Tesla, you've been operating at about a 2. In attempting to move your behavior to a 1, or even remove your backdoor entirely, Tesla is risking your attitude and behavior shifting from a 2 to a higher number that has more of a negative impact on Tesla. Not a smart move on their part. They should have been happy with the 2.

Reactions: gabeincal
You should definitely sleep on it!

The irony in this is that you've really been very respectful towards Tesla with the info you've shared and what you've done since gaining the access that you have. Even with the information today about the 100D, you did encrypt the info. I think that many other people who found themselves in your situation with access to stuff no one else had access to, after some of what transpired with the 691 HP issue and the delay with Auto Steer, etc., would have been a lot less respectful. You haven't shared your information on how to gain access with anyone, which would probably have been the first thing others might have done, very possibly charging some hefty fee. The access you have could be very valuable to people willing to try to steal from Tesla by upgrading their own batteries from 40kW to 60kW, or turning on tech package features, etc. You would never do that, but there are people out there who would. I think lots of people would sell the steps to the back door, and then leave it at that, and Tesla would have a bit of a nightmare on their hands, trying to prevent people from stealing from them.

My point is on a scale of 1 to 10 on how negative your discovery could have been for Tesla, you've been operating at about a 2. In attempting to move your behavior to a 1, or even remove your backdoor entirely, Tesla is risking your attitude and behavior shifting from a 2 to a higher number that has more of a negative impact on Tesla. Not a smart move on their part. They should have been happy with the 2.

Definitely would agree.

In any case, going to certainly sleep on it. I'm denying myself the ability to act on anything right now.

I've completely disabled my car's connectivity with Tesla for now as well. I can't use the mobile app or anything right now either as a result, unfortunately. But at this point, I don't trust them not to screw around, and this is the only way I can ensure that Tesla can't put their paws into anything on my car while I'm not watching. Kind of lucky I was watching tonight or I would be dropped to 2.12.45 right now. I've backed up logs of all Tesla's actions that they've taken on my car against my explicit instructions and without my permission.

I really hope Tesla does the right thing and reaches out on this one.

Reactions: gabeincal
Definitely would agree.

In any case, going to certainly sleep on it. I'm denying myself the ability to act on anything right now.

I've completely disabled my car's connectivity with Tesla for now as well. I can't use the mobile app or anything right now either as a result, unfortunately. But at this point, I don't trust them not to screw around, and this is the only way I can ensure that Tesla can't put their paws into anything on my car while I'm not watching. Kind of lucky I was watching tonight or I would be dropped to 2.12.45 right now. I've backed up logs of all Tesla's actions that they've taken on my car against my explicit instructions and without my permission.

I really hope Tesla does the right thing and reaches out on this one.

Sleeping on it is definitely a good idea. I'm surprised that Tesla would try to pull something like this with a customer's car, without the owner's consent.

If you release everything that you found, there is no way back from that. It would be much easier to work out a diplomatic solution if your don't drop the bomb, especially out of anger.

Code:
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184# ifconfig tun0 down
root@cid-5YJSA1H24EFP64184#

Call me if you want back in. We need to have a talk.

Your mobile app won't function any more without the VPN interface. Guess that doesn't matter since you probably have your own.