Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powertrain Problem: Restart When Safe (Error 909)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had a very nice morning out tooling around with the Roadster. Came home, put it on the charger and, after 30 minutes of charging, got error 909 "DMC HW: PhaseB Low Side Desat Fault"

Car won't charge, car won't drive. It's a paperweight. A really expensive, really cool-looking paperweight but, none the less, a paperweight.

Called Tyco Rd. TSC. They're going to get a flatbed over here this afternoon to take it away.

*sigh. This ain't gonna be cheap, I'm sure of it.

More details on the driving problem (if anyone cares). I get into the car, stick in the key and turn it, car powers up normally. Release the parking brake, put the car in "D". Every thing is hunky and/or dory at this point. Take my foot off the brake...and that's where it fails. I get a red "FAULT" light on the dash, and the "Powertrain Problem: Restart when safe" error on the VDS (and the car goes nowhere). Turn key off, take key out, put key back in, repeat...same problem.

Over the past few months, I've been getting an #1076: "DMC FW: PhaseB Temp Diff Warning". It was doing this before my annual service (which I just had done like two months ago (5 Jan 16)). I mentioned it to the TSC when they had it in and they said those errors were no big deal; related to outside temperature.

Now I'm not so sure (especially considering that this "dead" error is also referencing PhaseB (whatever that is)).

Fault.jpg

So, I had a very nice morning out tooling around with the Roadster. Came home, put it on the charger and, after 30 minutes of charging, got error 909 "DMC HW: PhaseB Low Side Desat Fault"

Car won't charge, car won't drive. It's a paperweight. A really expensive, really cool-looking paperweight but, none the less, a paperweight.

Odd that it will not charge, since the IGBTs in PEM in 2.0/2.5 are not used for charging, also would be strange to break Phase B when charging.. so guessing it's going to be more charging related circuitry.
What error do you see when you try to charge your car?
All PEM related so guessing SC will recommend swap in another PEM.

All PEM related so guessing SC will recommend swap in another PEM.

Good guess.

TSC called...car needs a new PEM. Bad news, they don't have any...new or remanufactured. If it ends up being a new one, they're talking $8,000 to replace it.

I explained to them that they replaced it just last year, and that I've been complaining to them about PEM temperature problems, PEM-related error messages, overheating problems, etc. since they replaced it. Clearly, it didn't "just die"...it has had issues for a while and has finally given up the ghost.

They're trying to work with me on the pricing; which is fair.

But they did say that it's going to be "a while" before I get the car back...since they don't have any PEMs, nor any idea when they're going to have one available for my car.

- - - Updated - - -

What error do you see when you try to charge your car?

For the record, spaceballs, it was throwing out several faults upon charge failure.

- Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/1023 (06000000)
- Vehicle Alert #933: DMC FW: Line OverCurrent Fault
and the Vehicle Alert #909: DMC HW: PhaseB Low Side Desat Fault

- Vehicle Alert Code: TR2N/1023 (06000000)
- Vehicle Alert #933: DMC FW: Line OverCurrent Fault
and the Vehicle Alert #909: DMC HW: PhaseB Low Side Desat Fault

Oh Geez, an overcurrent fault, that's not going to be fun. Sounds like Phase B is shorting... Don't know why, and that's most likely because IDK what TR2N/1023 (06000000) means as I have not worked on this system yet.

Since the fault system seems to have done it's job and turned off the car before letting it destroy itself, you have that going for you.

Sorry to hear this. I do hope they are only temporarily out of PEMs due to using them for 3.0's, and that this is not a warning sign that Roadsters won't be supported in the future.

The lack of PEMs is a big concern for me, too (considering I've gone through 2 in 14 months) but, it was my understanding that the 3.0 upgrade doesn't require a new PEM...just a firmware update to the existing PEM, so I don't think the shortage would be caused by that.

It might be indirectly caused by the 3.0 upgrade, because I don't imagine Tesla has limitless human resources to put on the Roadster. So, the few Roadster folks at the factory are probably busy building 3.0 batteries, not making replacement parts (like PEMs).

No the car can not charge, and it is the same error code if I try to charge. After I posted here I looked through the "Roadster PEM failure" thread and it looks like I need new isolation like they talk about there. I will check the fuses when I get around to disassemble the PEM.

I had the PEM go out last year and they put in a rebuilt one after 4 weeks. Then, 4 weeks ago got the powertrain error and the car would not charge or start. After 2 days they reported it was a short in the 3.0 battery (under warranty) what's the chance it's the PEM again? Plus, with the "new" battery they're going to put in, will they replace/repair the PEM?

It's not a major job and can be relatively easily done...(I know, I've done it twice...first time the new insolation I used was too thin) Every PEM will ultimately have this problem. Its all in the PEM failure thread. If you have any questions please ask...
Another aspect if it did not go with a "pop" then there will be no damage...even if there is - you only have to replace some of IGBTs that may have got fried...again none of this is rocket science...you will see when you take it apart...but Gruber know all about this if you are not inclined to touch it yourself...

Last edited:
So I just got the same drivetrain problem error on my 2010 roadster 2.5 I've had it since new and it has almost 16,000 miles on it. I restarted it and then put it in reverse and then heard a "pop" and everything went black, screens, charge door light. I'm new the the site this is my first post. Should I be worried? Thanks