Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadster at EVCCON - autocross and 1/4 mile champ.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had the terrific opportunity to drive my Tesla out to EVCCON, the first convention on building better electric cars we do believe. As part of the event they had an autocross and drag strip set up so people can race the 30 or so electric builds at the event. There were some incredible builds, including the Luminatimotors strong X prize contender, to a drop dead 1978 Porsche 911 SC powered with dual Warp 9 motors and a Soliton 1 1000 amp controller, to a Porsche 904 GTS with again a Soliton 1000 amp controller and a Warp 11 motor. I was very curious to see how the Tesla would stand again some of these high end quality conversions.

In a nutshell, it is hard to outdo Tesla.

The Tesla won the autocross 40.5 seconds versus 41.5 for the next closest. And I am NOT a race driver as this was my first autocross. And I also handily won the 1/4 mile at 13.1 and 100.2 mph. I found out that without the top, the top speed was 99.7. I must have made 25 runs down the 1/4 mile as EVERYONE it seemed wanted a ride down the race trace and NO-ONE was disappointed. I really wish I had a camera mounted.

There was one car that bested me in the 1/4 mile but it was not a street car as it boasted 2 NetGain Warp 11 motors and two Zilla 2K controllers for an impressive 4000 amps of power. But even there the car had trouble maintaining control and while having an impressive 12 second 1/4 mile the top speed was only 88 mph significantly slower than I was able to go.

I was wary about taking the Tesla to such a group of devoted custom builders but the Tesla was VERY well received and I heard hundreds of compliments as to the build quality, acceleration, handling and of course the drop dead looks.

I was also the only EV person who was able to drive there, 520 electric miles in a day. But that is for a later post assuming I do make it the last 280 miles back home.

You did an amazing job in the race! And I assume you had no problems making it back home.

I was also the only EV person who was able to drive there, 520 electric miles in a day. But that is for a later post assuming I do make it the last 280 miles back home.

Illuminati Motor Works 7 has made the 200+ mile drive to Jack Rickard's before (on one charge), but this time the team brought the trailer because we figured there was a chance she'd need a lift home. ;)

--Jen @ IMW

...There were some incredible builds, including ... a drop dead 1978 Porsche 911 SC powered with dual Warp 9 motors and a Soliton 1 1000 amp controller, to a Porsche 904 GTS with again a Soliton 1000 amp controller and a Warp 11 motor...

At the Palo Alto EV Rally over this past weekend there was an impressive looking 'Electric Motor Werks' BMW Conversion with one of those Soliton controllers:
2011s Silicon Valley EAA EV Rally (39th annual) - pictures and electric cars galore | V is for Voltage electric vehicle forum
DSCN8107-web.jpg

DSCN8109-web.jpg

DSCN8111-web.jpg

(photos by David Herron)

By the way, Tesla Roadsters have a good history of driving to autocross & drag strips, making a respectable showing then driving home.
Wayland EV drags, Portland, July 23 24, 6pm
Wayland Invitational IV Electric Drag Races!!
Power of D.C..

Officially I don't think Tesla endorses using the car like that, but in practice it seems to work quite well for such activities.
I still think giving new people rides is the most fun you can have with your Roadster.

Thanks for writing up your event.

Last edited:
I created an album for some EVCCON pictures and some of the cars at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/album.php?albumid=42 Please let me know if that does not work and will try something else. I do not have any pictures of the drag racing or autocross but I am sure there will be many pictures and videos posted at http://evtv.me as soon as they catch their breath from the show.

The reason i have no pictures of the racing is for 2 1/2 hours I was giving MANY people rides down one track or the other. It was a ball and as I said the Tesla performed VERY.

Last edited:
I was wary about taking the Tesla to such a group of devoted custom builders but the Tesla was VERY well received and I heard hundreds of compliments as to the build quality, acceleration, handling and of course the drop dead looks.
Most of us DIY EV types are big fans of Tesla, no worries there. It's no coincidence that my conversion is a mid engined mid battery pack sports car :wink: I'm sure many builders were inspired by seeing the car in person, wish I could have been there.