Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Met the X" yesterday...meh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so...finally saw the X at the Tesla event. No test drives. Just see and touch. Pretty lame actually. I expected a slightly bigger thing from Tesla. Now...about the car. I think I've been reading too much of this forum. I think it somehow messed up my mindset on the car. I gotta be honest...i was not blown away. It seems a lot of the comments on here are pretty accurate. Small trunk if the third row is up. Second row seats seem WAY too over-engineered. One of the two cars had one of the seats barely functioning in the second row. Not a great sign. I was a bit annoyed that they didn't have a 7 seater there...kind of defeated the whole purpose of the event for me. Feels like a car that will be in the shop often the first 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if the second row was completely changed in the next year. Now, some positives. i heard that it drives way better than the model S. i wouldn't know yet as they weren't offering. Driver's seat is super comfy. white seats feel and look goofy to me after the initial bright shock wears off. My biggest take from the event is that the p90d is not an escalade or suburban or pickup truck. it is in the acura mdx category on super steroids. its meant for 4/5 people and 6-7 in a pinch. its not meant to carry sheet rock or any other crazy thing. its 150k! I still can't decide if the 7 seater was the right choice. either way its too late to change. i think with 3 kids, its the only choice as most of the time, it would be a lot more practical to actually have the third row down and have everyone sit in the second row. not sure the third row is meant for daily sitting like our minivan. I pick mine up next week (almost officially. waiting for a few parts to cali). Too late to change my mind at this point, so it should be interesting. sorry for the babbling...

so...finally saw the X at the Tesla event. No test drives. Just see and touch. Pretty lame actually. I expected a slightly bigger thing from Tesla. Now...about the car. I think I've been reading too much of this forum. I think it somehow messed up my mindset on the car. I gotta be honest...i was not blown away. It seems a lot of the comments on here are pretty accurate. Small trunk if the third row is up. Second row seats seem WAY too over-engineered. One of the two cars had one of the seats barely functioning in the second row. Not a great sign. I was a bit annoyed that they didn't have a 7 seater there...kind of defeated the whole purpose of the event for me. Feels like a car that will be in the shop often the first 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if the second row was completely changed in the next year. Now, some positives. i heard that it drives way better than the model S. i wouldn't know yet as they weren't offering. Driver's seat is super comfy. white seats feel and look goofy to me after the initial bright shock wears off. My biggest take from the event is that the p90d is not an escalade or suburban or pickup truck. it is in the acura mdx category on super steroids. its meant for 4/5 people and 6-7 in a pinch. its not meant to carry sheet rock or any other crazy thing. its 150k! I still can't decide if the 7 seater was the right choice. either way its too late to change. i think with 3 kids, its the only choice as most of the time, it would be a lot more practical to actually have the third row down and have everyone sit in the second row. not sure the third row is meant for daily sitting like our minivan. I pick mine up next week (almost officially. waiting for a few parts to cali). Too late to change my mind at this point, so it should be interesting. sorry for the babbling...

Pretty much ditto (except we haven't ordered yet) as I mentioned in my trip report below right down to the three kids.
Any More Test Drive Reports From The Tour? - Page 2

Unlike what I expected, I came away from the event with a lot of questions and concerns. The seats were a mess (working, not working, squeaking). Despite having three kids we switched our decision (surprise to us) and want to go 6-seat.

It's funny...3 days after the test drive and I find myself hesitating. I actually considered getting my $5K back and just waiting for awhile. I don't think that's what Tesla intended at the events! Not sure when I'll configure...

There are really only two full size SUVs on the market at this point; the 3 Suburban variations made by GM and the Expedition EL. Every other SUV or CUV has a tiny trunk when the third row of seats is in use. The obvious downside to those big SUVs is that they're REALLY big when driving around town. Don't forget that the Model X has the added, albeit small, extra space of the frunk.

We have three kids and went with the 6 seater. The vast majority of the time the two older kids will be boosters in the rear seats and the toddler will be in a car seat in the middle row. We tend not to take many long road trips but I think the frunk, combined with the deep trunk, will be sufficient.

There are really only two full size SUVs on the market at this point; the 3 Suburban variations made by GM and the Expedition EL. Every other SUV or CUV has a tiny trunk when the third row of seats is in use. The obvious downside to those big SUVs is that they're REALLY big when driving around town. Don't forget that the Model X has the added, albeit small, extra space of the frunk.

We have three kids and went with the 6 seater. The vast majority of the time the two older kids will be boosters in the rear seats and the toddler will be in a car seat in the middle row. We tend not to take many long road trips but I think the frunk, combined with the deep trunk, will be sufficient.

Im not sure how you are fitting anything into the trunk with the third row seats up. It's just not really possible. That's the only reason I took the 7 seater. Last week, I picked up the model s for my wife and had to put two extra 21" wheels into my trunk of my Ford Explorer (which has a bigger trunk than the X with the third row up) while also having three kids in the car. My ford has two captain chairs in the middle row. It was a major problem. I could only fold one of the back seats. One wheel fit behind the seat. The other went in on an angle and shifted three times, pinning my 10 year old and forcing me to stop three times in a 15 min trip to move the wheel back and stop it from crushing her. Not fun. With the 7 seater, all 3 kids would sit in the middle and I would have had no issues with trunk space. Bam! There it is. My justification. :)

Not only comparable mid-sized SUV's have more cramped 3rd row seat there is also the bump on the floor that makes sitting in the middle seat of the second row, or both seat on the third row extremely uncomfortable. I don't remember even once we have unfolded the third row seat on the MDX we've owned for many years.

There was a very similar post on teslarati a few days ago. I really hope that the people at Tesla are paying attention here. The sense that I get is that a relatively small number of reservation holders have confirmed their orders. I've had access to the design studio for a couple of months now, but have been reluctant to order because I have serious concerns about the design (the nose!) and some of the gee whiz features that look like they will be more trouble than they are worth. I was able to sit in a Model X and liked the interior (other than the windshield which is kind of stupid) but I was saddened by the exterior. The original mock up was much more appealing. Tesla really needs to jump on this before this car is labeled as a flop. Some analysts are already picking up on this and are shorting the stock.

Pent up expectations? Meet reality!

Reality? Go to hell! ;)

Hey, I hear the Volvo XC90 is cool again...

Dunno, most of the identified issues seem valid. Like others initially I had many doubts and thought that the front fascia was beyond weird, until I saw the X in person and spent a few hours looking around it and comparing it to my Model S.

And then something unexpected happened. Suddenly I liked the Model X, quite a bit. I was never a fan of the nose cone, and the clean lines, great LED headlights and lack of chrome highlights of the X really appealed to me. It showed a lot of improvements that many of us have asked for (small and large), it showed a more mature car maker -- yeah, I know that sounds absurd with the whimsical and seemingly impractical windshield, doors, and seats, but really the X is a vision that a few years from now will appear common to us. For many people the Model X will be their first Tesla and as such they will not see it through the same lens as we do, they will love it.

Last edited:
I too have seen my infatuation with the X slowly seep away.

From the constantly missed milestones. To the reveal event in which one X had to be removed because the falcon door stopped working. To the fact that my reservation got rendered meaningless since I'd want a 70D.

I also got to see and drive a X at the event in Sunnyvale and too was just like hmmm...do I love this car? Or do I just really *want* to love it?

i like the styling. But it's the practicality and reliability that I'm worried about. When I factor in the price, I just don't know anymore.

I too have seen my infatuation with the X slowly seep away.

From the constantly missed milestones. To the reveal event in which one X had to be removed because the falcon door stopped working. To the fact that my reservation got rendered meaningless since I'd want a 70D.

I also got to see and drive a X at the event in Sunnyvale and too was just like hmmm...do I love this car? Or do I just really *want* to love it?

i like the styling. But it's the practicality and reliability that I'm worried about. When I factor in the price, I just don't know anymore.

Ditto that. I think Tesla is not even confident to invite the Canadian Production Model X reservation holders to the design studio as there are so few Service centers here and all the current problems which are being fixed in the SC will blow out of proportion once Canadian delivery is done. My biggest worry is the reliability and getting it fixed as my nearest SC is 12 hrs drive. Totally lost the initial enthusiasm.

Ditto that. I think Tesla is not even confident to invite the Canadian Production Model X reservation holders to the design studio as there are so few Service centers here and all the current problems which are being fixed in the SC will blow out of proportion once Canadian delivery is done. My biggest worry is the reliability and getting it fixed as my nearest SC is 12 hrs drive. Totally lost the initial enthusiasm.

And don't forget we have the pleasure of paying 50% more...

I'm always baffled by this type thread, mostly because nobody can ever name a similarly-dimensioned CUV out there with the same specs as Tesla but better overall carrying capacity. Not to mention the performance, which is unmatched by CUVs that cost 100k more.

I'm not sure how a hair higher quality interior can counteract the unique features of the MX. And when you say unique, it is quite literal because no other production car, no matter how pricey, even has many of its features or performance.

I'm confirmed P90D and have concerns around reliability of the falcon wing doors and auto present doors over the long haul. I'll agree w/ the sentiment that there are things that feel far too over engineered. But auto purchasing is in many ways so clearly subjective. Some of the precise things that others have sighted as a deterrent and something they'll lump together as evidence of a "flop" are in turn some of the things that I find most attractive. I *like* the nose cone, so much more than the Model S. I think the sizing is spot on for my needs and my admittedly small family--just enough space and interior cargo but able to haul my daughter and a few friends, yet still easy enough and non-intimidating feeling for my diminutive wife of 5'1" to be able to feel comfortable driving.

Tesla has TONS to prove over the long haul. But the correlation between "nope, just not right for me" to therefore mean "Tesla has a flop on their hand, time for doom and gloom!" seems so overly dramatic.

My P90D is working its way down the line, and I agree with djbakasan.

I would probably be more jazzed if I had bought a non-presenting door and non-FWD two years ago rather than having endured two years of "Didja get that car yet?" But, the vehicle is what it is, and I think it will work for my almost-empty-nest family.

i saw a post the other day by someone who mentioned spending $50k more than they should for the X. I know people are leasing and financing. I wonder if that affects their evaluation. Personally, and I'm not throwing rocks, I would not purchase such an expensive car if I had any difficulty coming up with cash. If I were being stretched financially, I imagine that every imperfection would stick in my craw. Just my 2 cents.

I'm always baffled by this type thread, mostly because nobody can ever name a similarly-dimensioned CUV out there with the same specs as Tesla but better overall carrying capacity. Not to mention the performance, which is unmatched by CUVs that cost 100k more.

I'm not sure how a hair higher quality interior can counteract the unique features of the MX. And when you say unique, it is quite literal because no other production car, no matter how pricey, even has many of its features or performance.

I agree. I was a volunteer owner for Tesla at the Toronto auto show and got a chance to play with the model X for a while before the show opened. The door technology is really quite cool but coming form a Ford Expedition MAX (EL) I was a little concerned with the amount of space in the X. After the show I went around to almost every SUV on the floor and sat in the 3rd row seats and frankly the X blows all the similar sized SUV's away and comes close to the larger SUV's. It seemed pretty similar to the XC90 in terms of 3rd row seat space and rear cargo space. Also when you look at the regular length Expedition or Yukon the X has similar space behind the 3rd row. People may not realize theModel X cargo shelf can drop down making a well that gives more cargo capacity behind the 3rd row. The falcon wing doors and the automated mono-post seats provide industry leading access to the 3rd row for sure. One of the biggest challenges of getting into the third row in other SUV's is trying to flip the darn seats forward which would be difficult for a kid. Then you have to step on or over all the metal seat sliders to get into the back. In the X it is sheer bliss! So I am convinced more than ever that the wait for the X will be worth it. It is a much better design.

Exactly. What other CUV/SUV people have in mind if not the X? Those opinions sounded more like nitpicking, which is easy to do, than useful feedback. Not to mention no one even touched the most distinctive aspect of the X which is when you're behind the steering wheel and put you foot on the pedal.

Last edited: