Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Key FOB Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Here's a tip for those 2.0 owners who have poor key fob reception. I'm sure you know the drill, you practically have to be on top of the car for it to work. Apparently newer cars have better antenna positioning and have better range.

Apparently Eli in Toronto had an idea yesterday while servicing Jaff's Roadster. Jaff's fob receiver was being replaced because it wouldn't lock. When he installed the new unit, he repositioned the antenna wire just under the dashboard. Jaff told me this had a big effect on the key fob range.

As it happens, Mark came to town to work on my car today. He was also into the dashboard, so we tried the same thing. Basically he just taped the purple antenna wire as shown in this picture, just below the edge of the dashboard near the window. The dashboard goes on top, of course, so when everything is back together you can't see the wire.

The result? WOW!!! I'm seeing a 3X - 4X range improvement.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2655&d=1316742186.jpg

Attachments

• FobAntenna.jpg
    FobAntenna.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2,304
I always thought that the poor fob performace was a power issue...with Eli's quick & innovative thinking re this issue, the fob now has the range as good as any car I've ever owned...kudos Eli!

I love this because when approching a group of folks looking at the car, I can now "pop" the trunk and scare the bejeebers outta them! :biggrin::wink:

I always thought that the poor fob performace was a power issue...with Eli's quick & innovative thinking re this issue, the fob now has the range as good as any car I've ever owned...kudos Eli!
Awesome. Has he referred this to Tesla HQ? Maybe they can add this a fix during that annual service or something. That keyfob range is on my list of minor annoyances with the Roadster.

FWIW, my range was the very-poor (barely worked from directly behind the car) experience until Tesla found the antenna wire was pinched and replaced it during other servicing. Now I can be about 10 steps (short legs) away from the rear of the car.

My car's in the shop through tomorrow... I sent them a link to this thread and begged to have the mod done. It's one thing that I'd really enjoy. I often feel (look) like an idiot for walking just a little too far from the car before locking the doors.

Any body surface that reflects RF waves partially or totally will increase signal levels outside and decrease or blacken out inside.
RF reflection is caused by electric conductivity of a body material. I don't know the electric conductivity of CF panels, but I am pretty sure it's not that high to form a Faraday cage. Surely they attenuate RF waves a bit.
The poor key fob reception of the original antenna wire position can be caused by reflection, attenuation, or partial shielding. Quite an evasive subject.