Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanker in Weston Hit and Run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will make hit #3 (I own a Nissan Leaf for two years don't get a scratch) Tesla get hit 3 separate times in 18 months.
Came back from Dinner and some wanker peeled out and struck the left front.

The wrap tried but was no match for the GMC the camera however was, even though it was after 10pm in a dimly lit car park I still got the license.
This is minor compared to some of the photos I see on TMC but still I bet this will run a minimum of $4k to fix.

Cant wait till the cops get this *%$#@

Word to the wise my Camera has saved my three times and $1000s of dollars.
Without doubt on of the best investments I have made.

(Best if you view it on YT in full screen and at 1080P)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2013 GMC Acadia SLE
  • apple1.png

I would never own this car without something like a Dual Channel BlackVue.

At least you got the plate.

The fact that he stopped clearly indicates he was aware of the collision. They stopped momentarily to decide if they should take responsibility and then took off. I doubt they would be charged. The driver will simply claim he was unaware of the collision and if asked about why he stopped he could claim that he got at text message or some other distraction that required him to stop for a moment.

But his insurance will clearly be on the hook and THEY may decide that it was hit and run even if there isn't enough evidence to charge him which would likely give him a lot more points.

Be sure to ask for diminished value.

Time for me to get a Blackvue installed! I just wish it (or the Tesla) did 360 degrees as the other comments suggest.

Personally, I would ask the guy before pressing charges or assuming anything. There's always two sides to every story. I believe it's possible that the driver simply didn't know what he had hit especially in a car that big. If you believe he's lying or was negligent, then I'd go Civil on him.

My dash cam turns off with the ignition since I run it to the lighter socket. If I come back to find damage after being parked, I'm going to kick myself so I better change that and find a source of constant on. I also need to get a dual cam to point backwards too.

Did you notice the damage right on your return to the vehicle, or did you get home and see it, then looked through the footage to find out where it happened? If you saw it in the parking lot, I bet the drive home to look at the footage was a fast one.

There's no doubt in my mind that driver knew exactly what happened -- which is why he slowed down after impact. On a civil standard of proof (more likely than not or balance or probabilities) he's toast. However, when it comes to the criminal burden of proof, being beyond a reasonable doubt, which the police must work with, he'd likely walk. So it's doubtful he'll be charged. If he's not charged and convicted criminally, you can go after him civilly for punitive damages in addition to your pecuniary damages, and don't forget accelerated depreciation / diminished value, and you only have to meet the civil burden of proof. If he's convicted criminally, you can't get punitive damages civilly because the intent of those damages are to punish the wrongdoer and he can't be punished by the courts twice for the same event. It might not be worth your time and hassle though, and I wouldn't recommend hiring a lawyer to do it since litigation is not cheap -- but you may be able to bring a Small Claims action yourself if you are so inclined. If you do go for it, don't forget aggravated damages too. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

While I agree with everything of the Op and I would be teed off too, it's possible the stop is not because of hitting the Tesla. Not that I think this is the case, but in the video you can see cars pulling out to the right. The GMC stops for a moment (presumably to ponder if he should leave a note for hitting the Tesla), but it is possible he is just waiting his turn after the red car finishes pulling out. Note that the GMC pulls out right after the red car passes by.