Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 "new technology" speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
I'm assuming JB is referring to hardware and that much of it will be non-apparent.

Possibilities/opportunities:
Structural:
Advances in Lightweighting?
Greater ease of assembly?
Even better crash-worthiness? (NCAP 7??)

Powertrain:
More efficient motor rotor cooling?
Improved motor torque-rpm profile?

Battery:
Improved battery performance in cold weather?
Faster Supercharging?

Any other possible hardware improvements?

I would think he more or less is referring to technology seen in the Model S, but designed specifically for the Model 3. Although there might be some new "Tesla" features meant for all cars that are being designed for the Model 3 first. Could be interesting.

I'm hoping for gen2 AP hardware, so that what gets updated into the next Model S rev will be truly stunning.
I would also expect interesting tech bundling/integration to reduce the cost of build and installation.
That would allow stuff like nav or charger optimized routing to be included in base hardware for instance.
There seemed to be a bit of focus on much reduced cost of components as well - so maybe they can now do dual motor in the base model?

More I think about it, the more I'm convincing myself that Gen2 AP will appear here first. Then they get even better learning capability to give them the ability to make Gen3 AP much closer to true autonomy for the next hardware rev of the Model S.
The chances of ☰ not having AP are getting much slimmer

• Helpful
Reactions: austinEV
More efficient heating and a/c?

I really hope that the Model 3 comes with a ultra efficient compressor for heat and cool modes. An efficient heat pump vs electric element heat can be vastly more efficient. And typically compressors designed to heat and cool are also more efficient in cooling modes too.

Multi-Stage compressors are possible in cars, my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid has a variable stage Compressor for ac modes. Setting my car to 79*f on hot days keeps me (mostly) comfortable, but keeps the hit on MPG low, as the compressor is operating at such an efficient rpm. If tesla makes an AC system that is ultra efficient for mild cooling loads, I am sure it would keep most people satisfied and reduce the overall range loss from climate control.

Polycarbonate is not really that good for street cars. Sand in particular will damage it at highway speeds, and you need to clean it carefully with soft cloth.

What they have been doing instead is using stronger glass that is thinner. So there are weight savings in glass. I think the first "thin" windshields were fitted on the 2002? Corvette Z06. $1100 for that windshield to save 2.6 pounds (4.8mm)?

I'd like to see battery, battery, and increased serviceability.

The traction battery. New cells, new packaging, produced at the Gigafactory, with record low cost.

The 12v battery. Come up with something better. Could just be another 12v battery, but better quality and better managed for maximum longevity and reliability.

Serviceability. Make the 12v battery easier to access. Design the car to where it doesn't need to be towed on a flatbed. Bring the wheel lug torque back down to sane levels. Trouble codes and descriptions available on main screen. Have better information and parts availability for 3rd party repairs. Clearly marked jack points. Easy traction battery disconnect for servicing. Water-tight seal the main battery compartment and use a snorkel (hidden of course) for venting if necessary; better waterproof any sensitive electronics installed low on the vehicle.

I know things like autopilot are the media darlings. But the things I've listed I believe are what would make a truly great vehicle. Not auto-pilot or self driving.

Isn't it about time we ditched glass windscreens (windshield for US readers) for polycarbonate or similar to give weight gains for a lighter vehicle.
All the non-glass options are worse from a durability standpoint. Remember that in cold climates the windshield will have particles of sand scraped across it by the wipers all winter long. After 100,000 miles a glass windscreen needs replacing because you can't see through it at night if there are oncoming lights. Plastics are much more scratch-prone.