Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Rust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrTaras

R254->R725->S->X->M3->M3P-->R2020?
Dec 2, 2007
Woodland Hills, CA
I have this rust on all 4 wheels. More pronounced after I wash the car. I live in So Cal so no salt on the roads to deal with. Ideas on how it came, but more importantly how to get rid of it? :eek:
Wheel Rust.jpg

Last edited:
While salt speeds up the reaction, water and oxygen react with impurities in iron to form rust even without salt. The brake discs on all Roadsters rust fairly quickly, but the rust disappears as soon as you actually use the brakes. Yours look like they are rusting on a portion where the disks don't touch, however. Perhaps what you are seeing is rust that formed on the disks but got washed down into the other places. The good news is that at this point it will probably wipe off pretty easily -- just use a polishing agent such as Brasso which will not only get the rust off but will also protect from further rusting.

Disc brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...discs are commonly made from cast iron and a certain amount of what is known as "surface rust" is normal...

Some vehicles use stainless steel rotors that don't rust, but they also don't stop as well !
As far as cleaning, I have read steel wool and/or sand paper. Generally they say to keep away from anti-rust products (like WD-40 for instance) which act as a lubricant and could compromise your stopping ability.

Easy fix Dr. T...I just had my wheel hubs painted with a product called Por 15 ( POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks )

Had my local body shop do it (the shop owner had just done his Vette and it looked great!)

Cost including labour was about $125 / wheel, but it is well worth it as looking at the rust always griped my cookies.

Now, I'm trying to find a way to get the brake calipers painted red...anyone done this yet?

Cheers!

aug 2511 017.jpg
aug 2511 016.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks TEG...the calipers look nice (but the wheels would look better with the Por 15 paint over the rust)...the top picture looks like it has been done to me...
I think the top picture was when the car was new.
The bottom picture was after it had been driven part way around the world (and some 'normal' rust started to appear.)

Jaff- I took a slightly different approach, albeit for more money ($75/wheel)
The inner (non-contact) area of the wheel has now been painted black.
I'll report back if there are any issues. Thank you for your input.
IMG_4274.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    913.5 KB · Views: 110