Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging plug lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the J1772 adapter an easy target for thieves, I decided to make a lock that would prevent its removal from the car.
I put it together in a few hours, so it's not pretty but gets the job done. I think a much nicer version could be made using water jet parts...
It is made of 1/2" by 1/8" steel flat bar shaped to fit around the plug. A small piece of steel is welded inside the ring to fit in the area where the slide switch needs to go in order to remove the plug from the car. The hinge is made from three pieces of 1/8" thick plate along with a 1/4" diameter pin. The padlock holder is of similar construction. SInce I took those picture, I've painted it in a silver metal flake color (rattle can spray job, looks good from six feet away :wink:)

IMAG0942.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

IMAG0946.jpg

IMAG0947.jpg

Would anyone be interested in a "production" version of such a lock? By that I mean a set of CAD drawings to get parts cut. Some welding or riveting would still be needed.

If I had the ability to craft such a device - I would do the following:
Remove the slider and replace it with a new one - The new slider would have a small keyhole that operates a cam that fills that void - extending the length of the slider so that it can not move. The new slider could be taller than the old one to make room for the lock mechanism, but it would still be compact and entirely self contained.

Speaking of... all a trouble-causer needs is a philips screwdriver to remove the slider even if the lock is in place. Hmm. I think that you've revealed the answer, richkae. The slider itself should be replaced with an alternate device and the screw that holds it in place should be an anti-theft type.

A replacement slider with a built-in lock is an intriguing idea... I will look around for a suitable lock. Maybe I can throw a prototype together.

Even with the security screw removed, the slider does not just come out: it needs to be lifted and slid out. I think my lock prevents such a motion, but I will borrow the right screwdriver from work and check. It would not be very hard to weld a "tongue" to the lock that would cover most of the slider.

Well, I tried removing the security screw with my original lock in place: the slider can be removed and the plug is then free from the car.
As a quick fix, I welded a plate that covers the slider completely.
IMAG0973.jpg

A lock that is integral to the plug and replaces the slider would be the cleanest solution for sure but it would require some intricate machining. I will keep on tinkering with it...