Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charging in Quebec, Canada

Charging in Quebec, Canada

First signs that the charging infrastructure in quebec is being implemented ...

You can see the station (and wires) for the electric commuter train in the background ...

Name:  IMG00006-20110911-1919.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  437.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clea View Post
    First signs that the charging infrastructure in quebec is being implemented ...

You can see the station (and wires) for the electric commuter train in the background ...

Name:  IMG00006-20110911-1919.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  437.8 KB
    Where is this, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Where is this, exactly?
    its in the parking lot just east of the AMT commuter train station in Sainte Dorothee, Laval

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Doroth%C3%A9e_(AMT)
    AMT - Stations - Sainte-Dorothée

Would assume that this is not the first station to get them but i have not found any news about the installations yet.

edit: I found this on their (AMT) website (sorry but only in french) which states that this is for an initial trial and there will be charge stations at two of the Laval Metro stations and at the Sainte Dorothee commuter train station.
    Last edited by clea; 2011-09-13 at 10:38 AM.

now i found the real story behind the EVSEs installed. It's part of a electric car carpooling trial (Clic | Société de transport de Laval). Funny (or maybe sad) that they are using the Volt as the car for the EV trial.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clea View Post
    now i found the real story behind the EVSEs installed. It's part of a electric car carpooling trial (Clic | Société de transport de Laval). Funny (or maybe sad) that they are using the Volt as the car for the EV trial.
    So they're carpooling to the train station?

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    So they're carpooling to the train station?
    or to the metro station, that what they are expecting. the metro (montreal underground subway) and train stations involved are on an island north of Montreal so it sortof makes sense for people that commute from further away. Crossing the bridges into town is not pleasant during rush hour.

Where's the best place to charge in or near Montreal if you're coming from the south like I would be? I live 189 miles from Montreal and my wife and I want to travel there in November.

Quote Originally Posted by hcsharp View Post
    Where's the best place to charge in or near Montreal if you're coming from the south like I would be? I live 189 miles from Montreal and my wife and I want to travel there in November.
    we have almost zero infrastructure here still, which is why i got excited when i saw a pair of charging stations. The governement seems to be trying to incetivize it but it doesn't look like it will be in place for at least another year. However i have seen that the Sheraton hotel in downtown Montreal has installed two chargers in partnership with Coulomb. Other than that, the only other sources I know of between the US border and here would be the RV parks.

Blog Entries
    Agreed - almost zero. To my knowledge the only chargers in Eastern Canada are at the Sheraton hotels in Montreal and Toronto. Aside from certain people's garages, of course.

Ontario is supposed to be installing chargers at the GO Transit (train) stations around Toronto. I don't think any of them are actually in place yet. And of course unless you are commuting into Toronto they probably won't be that useful.

RV parks are pretty much it. The KOA campgrounds have a policy of $10 for an EV charge. Be sure to call ahead and reserve your slot. Best to avoid the weekend if you can (including Friday night); those are the busy times.

The best documentation I have found so far wrt the planned EV infrastructure is here. In one of the newsletters published they state that "PEV drivers will also have access to a charging station locator service provided by Hydro-Québec and to a 24/7 telephone help line run by CAA Quebec." So we will be needing another app to locate charge stations ... I would hope at least that they would be open to sharing their data with the OpenChargeMap database.
    Last edited by clea; 2011-09-14 at 10:54 AM.

Thread Information