Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 extension cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched here for any reviews/reports but can't find them, but let me know if this is a repost.

Does anyone here use a 15 foot or longer NEMA 14-50 extension cable with a Roadster? I visited a fellow owner in Princeton who had one but at that time I didn't really pay it much attention as I was charging from his HPC.

e.g. this one for $75
Amazon.com: RV Extension cord 50 AMP 15 RV Power cord: Everything Else

or this one for $100
Amazon.com: Voltec 16-00510 6/3-8/1 STW 50 Amp RV Extension Cord with Ezeegrip Handle, 15-Foot, Blue with Yellow Stripe: Patio, Lawn Garden

(edit: or this one for $60; this is probably the one I'll get if I get one at all)
Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 Amp 15 RV Power Grip Extension Cord: Automotive

We may have three Roadsters very close together in our driveway prior to the Sept 18th NJ/NJ/CT rally so, rather than play "musical cars" with $400K worth of hardware, I am thinking of buying a 15 ft extension; added to the slack on the UMC this will be enough.

Any advice/warnings would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Beware of that Voltec! Read the fine print: "receptacle type: 50 amp, plug: 50 amp, 15 amp, rating watts: 1875 "
That's a very light-duty cable. 15A!

That would seem crazy to create an extension cable with 14-50, 50amp ends and only design it to handle 15 amps.
I suspect some sort of typo / transpositional error in their catalog.
It looks like they listed 15 amps for all of their extension cables, even though the 50amp indicates it uses 6 gauge wire.

Voltec Power & Lighting
voltec1.jpg

Maybe a legal CYA in case a cable ever fails?

I was thinking of way to get more distance with my Model S charging cable and came across this thread. Great info! Looking at Amazon today, I see there is a Camco 15' and 30' cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55194-P...88589557&sr=8-2&keywords=14-50+extension+cord

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-E...88589844&sr=8-1&keywords=14-50+extension+cord

My question is, which length would be more useful when I take my car on road trips? I am thinking the 15' length would be long enough, but I have no experience charging beyond my house.

Last edited:
Basically, you don't need one.

At RV parks you park next to the outlet.

At public chargers you use J1772.

The main use for an extension cord is if you are plugging into a dryer or welder outlet, neither of which are 14-50.

Basically, you don't need one.

At RV parks you park next to the outlet.

At public chargers you use J1772.

The main use for an extension cord is if you are plugging into a dryer or welder outlet, neither of which are 14-50.

There is a use case for NEMA 14-50 extensions cords. More and more hotels are installing 14-50 outlets for EV owners to use and an extension cord can come in really handy when the spot closest to the outlet gets ICED (I've used the 14-50 outlet at the Oaks hotel in Paso Robles and the 14-50 outlet at the Westin La Paloma in Tucson). After having done a long road trip beyond supercharger range, I can definitely say that you want to find hotels with 14-50 outlets rather than hotels with J1772s since a ~208 V 30 Amp J1772 will take something like 15 hours to completely charge an 85 kWh battery.