Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. So I took my first road trip after about 300 miles of ownership. New York to DC. just a few thoughts to share.

The drive itself was so good. Very smooth on the road with a quiet ride all the way. The car handled great. It even snowed and the car (rwd model) had no problem.

Gps was about half a step behind. Led to one or two small hiccups but we survived. Also it kept routing to a supercharger right by where I started from. One that I could have easily skipped.

Now. Range anxiety. It was real. We had to get to DC by a certain time so I didn't have too much time to charge up too many additional miles. With the recent cold wave in the northeast there was a decent amount of range loss. In fact for the first 30-45 minutes of the drive I was averaging about 1 mile for every 1Kw consumed. Because of the cold regen was very limited. Once the battery warmed up it increased to 2:1. Then ultimately needed close to 3:1. We made it into DC with a small about of range left and ultimately to the supercharger with just a handful of miles left on the range. For the last 90 minutes I have to drive much more conservatively to save on range. Thankfully everything worked out but it was nerve racking for a while.

Hopefully road trips in the summer are noticeably better. Also ones without a deadline to get to the destination by so we can take our time and charge up.

the moral to the story is to always start a road trip with a range charge. secondly turn off the trip planner it really isn't necessary and it doesn't always work well, lastly cold, snow and headwinds will always be a range affecting factor, you need to plan accordingly. I've done that trip many times and if you can destination charge wherever it is you where going in order to return, a range charge in DE is more than sufficient to get you to DC.