Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Deal Breaker after Model X Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys:
Just got back from our test drive today. Fun drive, wasn't too blown away, but there was a deal breaker for us that may not be for you.

I sat down in the back seat and closed the falcon door. Immediately, I noticed that the falcon door closed right above my head. There is this interface between the car roof/ceiling and the Falcon wing door come together. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine seeing the Falcon Wing door opened…you know that panel that says "MODEL X"? That's the interface I'm talking about. I asked the sales people if there are sensors there in case I put my kid in his seat and he starts to wave his hands around and get his hands caught in that interface while the Falcon Wings closed down. He said he didn't know….so we tested it out. He actually volunteered and I watched from the front seat.

He rested 3 fingers on the "MODEL X" panel and slowly closed the falcon wing doors. As the door came down, he immediately removed his fingers in pain…..almost like he was touching a hot stove. Not good. I imagine you can tell your kid to put their hands down every time, but I don't want to take that chance.

I really wanted to love and get this Model X, but I can't pull the trigger….kinda sad but oh well...

Oh please. Somehow a kid putting their hand on the CEILING is more likely than them having their hand on the door frame when the door is closed? I know my brother and sister closed the door on my fingers more than once! Not to mention accidental trunk or hood slams on the fingers!

Humans are fundamentally bad at assessing risk. Things that are known to happen often (fatal car accidents, etc) are somehow perceived as a lesser risk than things that are 'new' or unusual or spectacular are perceived as a greater risk. Terrorism, falcon wing door pinches, plane crashes, etc.

So defensive. That's why I wrote in the first sentence: it may not be for you. The last thing I want is for my kid's hand to be jammed in any situation. I'm glad you're not too concerned about this for your kids….

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I had my finger slammed on by my sister growing up on a door hinge many times too. The door swings back open….the Falcon wing door keeps closing

I recently bumped the side rubber seal on the FWD next to the driver door. FWD stopped instantly. I was impressed.

I understand the concern. Model X is unique and it takes time to understand what you can and cannot do. The auto opening and electrically closing front doors can open or close when you least expect it. Once we learn how it works, it will make sense over time.

some people concern over little things like jamming fingers, some people expect Tesla to do everything safely for them even human errors. I just want my damn car. Getting extremely impatient right now. Sorry for blowing some steam...

Hi guys:
Just got back from our test drive today. Fun drive, wasn't too blown away, but there was a deal breaker for us that may not be for you.

I sat down in the back seat and closed the falcon door. Immediately, I noticed that the falcon door closed right above my head. There is this interface between the car roof/ceiling and the Falcon wing door come together. If you don't know what I'm talking about, imagine seeing the Falcon Wing door opened…you know that panel that says "MODEL X"? That's the interface I'm talking about. I asked the sales people if there are sensors there in case I put my kid in his seat and he starts to wave his hands around and get his hands caught in that interface while the Falcon Wings closed down. He said he didn't know….so we tested it out. He actually volunteered and I watched from the front seat.

He rested 3 fingers on the "MODEL X" panel and slowly closed the falcon wing doors. As the door came down, he immediately removed his fingers in pain…..almost like he was touching a hot stove. Not good. I imagine you can tell your kid to put their hands down every time, but I don't want to take that chance.

I really wanted to love and get this Model X, but I can't pull the trigger….kinda sad but oh well...
Think about it this way, no matter what other SUV you decide to get it won't be as safe in a wreck in a Model X. So if you can't say "watch your fingers" before you hit the button to close the falcon doors then by all means get a less safe car.

Oh please. Somehow a kid putting their hand on the CEILING is more likely than them having their hand on the door frame when the door is closed? I know my brother and sister closed the door on my fingers more than once! Not to mention accidental trunk or hood slams on the fingers!

Humans are fundamentally bad at assessing risk. Things that are known to happen often (fatal car accidents, etc) are somehow perceived as a lesser risk than things that are 'new' or unusual or spectacular are perceived as a greater risk. Terrorism, falcon wing door pinches, plane crashes, etc.

This isn't defensive, its logic. Any door represents a close risk to fingers. Kids that arent able to understand this should probably ride short busses.

When you present a "safety item" that doesn't stand up to critical assessment, best response is a Homer Simpson - "doh!"

Good thing you have finger tip sensors on all the doors in your house. And the fridge and every drawer and cupboard. Oh, and the garage and playhouse and every other car your kids ever ride in. Yeeesh, a deal breaker? I raised a couple of kids, we live in different universes, apparently

While I can appreciate your concern of the door crevasse, you may wish to try a duplicate test in what every you decide to buy. Place your fingers at the hinge point of the door -- on a traditional door that would be the B pillar jamb between the front and read doors. As you point out, one would have to be in the car--now close the door.... ouch.

The manual cautions against closing the front door while closing the FWD at the same time, so people don't get their fingers on the edge of the front door, while the FWD is closing. I guess Tesla assumed no one would place there fingers in the door hinge point, or in the Frunk hinge when closing, or between the front door hinge at the A pillar when closing.... you get the idea. But I understand. I have seen enough video's of excited owners and their kids playing with the FWD and all the automatic opening and closing units on the X.... they are neat (dating myself), but I worry the parents aren't paying a lot of attention to where the little curious fingers are... On conventional cars, kids aren't as intrigued. So while we may make "lite" of the concern, the message I will take away is always watch little fingers -- least of the places will be the top of the FWD. These are auto opening and closing and require some respect and parenting.

Some people expect automatic door to be safer than if human operated it. We are obviously not there yet.

In this case however I would expect a proximity sensor there since torque sensing is probably to weak in that area. Maybe the door was malfunctioning? Before making your final decision ping Tesla headquarters and double-check if doors worked as designed.

Just chiming in.
I agree with the general feeling of responses that we are too dependent these days on technology/hand holding/etc substituting for common sense.

However, some of us may be contemplating spending many times more for this vehicle than we ever have before on a vehicle (not necessarily cuz we haven't been able to afford it). In which case, small issues can become deal breakers if you're setting the bar for perfection really really high.

Think about it this way, no matter what other SUV you decide to get it won't be as safe in a wreck in a Model X. So if you can't say "watch your fingers" before you hit the button to close the falcon doors then by all means get a less safe car.
Excellent point. Any other suv less safe overall. Rollover risk alone is huge difference. Just say watch your fingers and let them learn a lesson when they dont.

But I understand. I have seen enough video's of excited owners and their kids playing with the FWD and all the automatic opening and closing units on the X.... they are neat (dating myself), but I worry the parents aren't paying a lot of attention to where the little curious fingers are... On conventional cars, kids aren't as intrigued. So while we may make "lite" of the concern, the message I will take away is always watch little fingers -- least of the places will be the top of the FWD. These are auto opening and closing and require some respect and parenting.

Of course, this will only be a concern the first few times, after that it will become old hat to the kids.