Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fab key is less fabulous

Are you happy with the Fab?

• Yes, not looks great!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, not pleased despite its great appearance

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently on a couple of occasions my Model S key failed to open the door, despite a new battery. I had parked in a parking lot with no wireless service. I had my cell phone but had turned off my cell data service. I had to turn on the cell data to get the Tesla app working. Once I opened the door and got into the car, I couldn't start the car. The car would't start as it failed to recognize the key. When I pressed the "start" on the app, it asked for Tesla password! I don't carry password around and had to go back to my office to get the password.
Why didn't the car recognize the key? (it recognized at other times) and open the door? Why didn't the engine start with the app?
Why can't the app connect with the car in the bluetooth mode? Does the bluetooth depend on the car being "ON"?
Has anyone else noticed this? I am concerned, as this requires carrying the password, having internet connectivity etc.

Here.

Let

me

G**gle

that

for

you...

Oh Hell, that's too slow.

snap.png

yes with both Fabs

1. In order to place the key in the cup holder, you should be able to get in. I have a problem, unless I carry a data phone and cellular data is activated. That's why a bluetooth connectivity could be better, particularly when you are just outside the car and are trying to get in and start.
2. Yes, it happened with both my keys. Both had replaced new batteries within the last few days (actually twice).

Oh Hell, that's too slow.

View attachment 111151[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

I do have my glucose monitor transmitter in my body but that is via bluetooth and shouldn't interfere.

I had a problem when I would go to start my car in the morning in my garage where the charge port door would not open, the handles would not present. When I would return home and try to open the charge port door with the wand button on the HPWC, I had to hold the wand directly over the charge port antenna on the rear windshield for it to open. I changed the battery in the FOB, even tried my wife's FOB - no luck.....

I realized that I had a BMW electronic key in the same pocket as my Tesla Fob. When I put the BMW key in the other pocket the FOB has worked well since then.

Wi-Fi, BT and other RFI (Radio Frequency Interference, EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) is ubiquitous and can interfere with the FOB's weak signal. I am not saying that this will solve your unique problem, but sometimes cell phones, other electronic keys and devices can interfere.

My car was delivered with a key fob receiver that was almost deaf. It was difficult to get the door handles to present. Opening the frunk required the fob to be against the nose cone. After the receiver was replaced I can now open the frunk while 75 feet away from the car.

Probably not what your problem was, but my key does not work if it's right next to my phone. I've gotten into a habit of having the key in a different pocket, at least 6 inches away from my phone, and haven't had any trouble since...

This morning one of my fab got wet and I couldn't start the car. Unfortunately, I didn't have my p[hpne with me. I walked to my home (near by) and got the other fab-didn't work. Both with new batteries.
Brought back my cell phone, entered the car, started, and droove home.
Now both my fabs (only one got wet) don't work. Any soplutions, suggestions, reasons?

Hi
What do you do when you come back and the car doesnt recognize FAB and open the door? If yyou don't have Iyour phone/internet, you are helpless.
My Tesla does not recognize both my Fabs with brand new batteries. I can use my iPhone and open doors and start but need i9nternet. I wish the app would work independent of internet by hardwire or bluetooth connection.
I have no clue why my fabs don't work-tesla hasn't returned my call.

first off they are FOBs, secondly the design has little to do with owner foolishness.
I was not complaimning about the design. Rudeness has no place in the forum. Read the post before you reply. I suppose that you had never misplaced, damaged anything in your life.
first off they are FOBs, secondly the design has little to do with owner foolishness.

If the wet fob is now transmitting continuously it will block the good one. Take the battery out of the wet one.
There are places to put the fob both outside and inside of the car when it has a dead battery. Please see your Owner's Manual.