Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is Lutz going to shut up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason, Bob Lutz really seems to have it out for Tesla... Why???

http://www.profitconfidential.com/stock/tsla-stock-tesla-motors-inc-is-a-lousy-business/

As we all know this isn't the first time he's said Tesla will fail, and it likely won't be the last... Making claims about EV demand falling due to low oil prices doesn't seem to apply to Tesla given their claim of very strong demand for both the S and X...

Am I missing something???

Thanks,
Jeff

Well this is exactly why TM didn't want to discuss GF and battery prices. They are moving away from a car company and to an energy company. The cost of the battery will determine profitability for TM. PLus the other caller on CC said they like keeping cash on hand, then was corrected by EM that they were indeed in the business of profitability.

Big leap of faith, but i'm sure both lutz and musk have access to excel and can use it...

"“The majors are going to accept the losses on the electric vehicles as a necessary cost of doing business in order to sell the big gasoline stuff that people really want. Well, Tesla does not have that option,” notes Lutz. (Source: Ibid.)"
Ya. I REALLY want that. NOT!

"“The majors are going to accept the losses on the electric vehicles as a necessary cost of doing business in order to sell the big gasoline stuff that people really want. Well, Tesla does not have that option,” notes Lutz. (Source: Ibid.)"
Ya. I REALLY want that. NOT!

he is actually malicious , with the intent to malign tesla .

When the model 3 starts delivering, Lutz will suffocate on his own CO.
TSLA only needs to endure this decline for a short time longer.
Misinformation can only be spewed as long as the product isn't out there to defend itself.
The criticism of the S has basically been put to rest and the bears, the shorts, and the opposition have moved on to attack the failure to deliver the X in numbers in the time promised.

Give them their last hope for now. Let them sell the stock short. There is a limit to that. At some point, they have to cover.
When the X is produced in the same numbers as the S and there are more reservations for the model 3 than the BMW 3 series sells in a year, there is going to be a whole lot of fireworks. Nobody who holds the stock will want to sell. Then it will be fun again.

OMG! I hope soon.

Good lord, the guy ran two failing companies. How on Earth can the press give him so much time? I don't give a good g-darn how much of a "car guy" he is. He has proven that he can't run a company worth a damn. It amazes me how these people seem to be coated in teflon. I am clearly not doing something right because I am still actually working and earning a living while every company I have worked for has been healthy!

Classic old white guy club BS.

And I'm white. And pretty old too!

Interviewer, "So Putz what's your opinion on TSLA?"
Putz, "They will go bankrupt."
Interviewer, "I guess you'd know you did a good job bankrupting companies yourself didn't you?"
Putz, "........."

hmm. There must be something wrong with my L key.... hmf it worked just fine that time.

I do agree with everything in the previous comments about Lutz, he can't accept that the time has passed over him. But this price war is a real danger IMO. Tesla's federal EV incentive in the US (or whatever it's called) will run out 'soon', while others still have for many cars. When it happens, the competitors can drop the prices (even below the manufacturing cost, as he mentioned), and this price drop with the incentives can lead to $10000-$15000 differences in prices even in the Model 3's class. I think - without doubt - this would cause a significant drop in Tesla's sales. No matter how good Tesla is, the money is money, specially in the lower class. I don't say this was a huge drop, but enough to get the investors panicking. And nowadays we all know what panic can cause on the market.

But this price war is a real danger IMO. Tesla's federal EV incentive in the US (or whatever it's called) will run out 'soon', while others still have for many cars. When it happens, the competitors can drop the prices (even below the manufacturing cost, as he mentioned), and this price drop with the incentives can lead to $10000-$15000 differences in prices even in the Model 3's class. I think - without doubt - this would cause a significant drop in

Unlikely. If they drop the price for the US market, they'd have to do it for other markets. Then they'd also have to ramp up availability. The Model 3 is projected to be manufactured in numbers far greater than any other manufacturer has committed to.

Bob Lutz can't understand why Tesla isn't applying the traditional car company paradigm. He still understands Tesla as a car company only and sees the goal as purely making a profit without acknowledging the stated goal of pushing a wholesale move to EVs throughout the car industry. By his understanding, what Tesla is doing makes no sense, the problem is with his understanding of what Tesla is and what it is setting out to do.

I do agree with everything in the previous comments about Lutz, he can't accept that the time has passed over him. But this price war is a real danger IMO. Tesla's federal EV incentive in the US (or whatever it's called) will run out 'soon', while others still have for many cars. When it happens, the competitors can drop the prices (even below the manufacturing cost, as he mentioned), and this price drop with the incentives can lead to $10000-$15000 differences in prices even in the Model 3's class.

I have to disagree with this. Just re-read what Lutz said, "GM is not going to make money on that. But the majors are going to accept the losses on the electric vehicles as a necessary cost of doing business in order to sell the big gasoline stuff."
Do you really think GM is going to lower the price of the Bolt to get it $10K under the 3 and make enough of them to try and compete with Tesla? If they make a compelling EV like that they'd do more harm to their own ICE vehicle sales than to Tesla.

If they drop the price for the US market, they'd have to do it for other markets.

I don't think this would be a problem. And anyway, the prices are already different on the markets. The European cars are more expensive in the US (thanks to the import tax and transport), and vice-versa. E.g. a P90D with all goodies costs €164000 ($184600) in Netherlands and Germany (and most European countries), while an i8 with all options costs 'only' €144000. It's not a big challenge to get under this price for the local brands, specially in Europe.

Then they'd also have to ramp up availability.

They have time to prepare for.

And again, this is just big IF, I don't say this it gonna happen for sure. But I'm pretty sure the other major car companies won't let themselves! Tesla is not gonna be marching into triumph as easy as many people think here.

Everyone with similar critics as Bob Lutz misses a couple of things:
1. Yes, they are loosing money, however, this comes to the huge investments in the Giga Factoy and Superchargers. These investments wil pay off very soon.
2. Elon's ambition was always to make the best car possible which happen to be electric. Declining oil prices will have less of an effect than Bob Lutz is predicting. You see that now already with the increase of reservations for the MS and huge reservation pool for the MX. Tesla is hot and people just want one, no matter what the fuel is.
3. When properly marketed the M3 will be a huge hit. Not because it is electric but because it is a Tesla. People love the silence of the car and the acceleration. With Gigafactory in place M3 will be profitable.
4. The business model with selling direct. Bob Lutz is telling us that it is incredible expensive. How can this be more expensive if you have franchised dealer who have their costs too and need to make a profit as well? With Tesla's model there is one company in the process of selling the car, only one time profit is needed. In the dealer model there are at least two (with importers overseas sometimes even three) independent companies involved, who all need to make money on the transaction.