Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Key, the easy way to prepare your vehicle from an iPhone and iPad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

In case some Model X owners does not follow the Model S side of the forum:

I´ve been missing a shortcut / quick way to set charge, pre-heating and pre-cooling my Tesla from my iPhone.

The default Tesla App works, but there is no quick way to perform these actions.
Not finding the solution I was looking for, I created this app. It is now available iTunes.
Link to "Tesla Key" on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/tesla-key/id1065805030

Highlights:

Tesla Key is a tool for fast and easy access to your Tesla Motors vehicle from anywhere using your mobile device.

With Tesla Key You can perform the following tasks with your Tesla Vehicle:
- Summon vehicle
- Homelink remote
- Lock and Unlock doors
- Remote start, keyless driving (drive off without the original Tesla Key)
- Open Charge Port Door
- Set required charge limit % and start or stop charging
- Set climate temperature and start or stop climate system in vehicle
- Locate vehicle by honking horn or flashing lights

Other features:
- 3D Touch shortcuts
- Autorun vehicle commands on app start
- Supports multiple vehicles in one account
- Setting default vehicle for quick access to primary vehicle

Se Tesla Owners Manual for more detailed information on the functions available:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model-S-Owners-Manual.pdf

The app is ideal for pre-cooling, pre-heating, keyless driving or charging the vehicle with one click 3D Touch.

- - - Updated - - -

Skjermbilde 2016-02-12 kl. 13.39.17.png

@p85 - Does it work with MX yet ? How does it compare to "Remote S for Tesla" app?
Hi,

It should work with MX and Roadster, as it uses the common API delivered by Tesla Motors, same as the official Tesla App.
I have not yet tested it with the MX, as there are no MX´s around here in Norway yet.

My other totally free app: "Info app for Tesla" uses the same API
Link to "Info app for Tesla" in iTunes: Info app for Tesla on the App Store

A general question about 3rd party Tesla app ... how is the security and privacy compare with Tesla's app? Would my Tesla account, password be compromised? :confused:
Hi,

I can only answer for my apps. The API from Tesla is used, an encrypted connection between the app and the Tesla Motors server. The same connection as used by the official Tesla app.

Storing username and password is done using the IOS settings functionality with the security provided by Apple.

Hi all,

In case some Model X owners does not follow the Model S side of the forum:

I´ve been missing a shortcut / quick way to set charge, pre-heating and pre-cooling my Tesla from my iPhone.

The default Tesla App works, but there is no quick way to perform these actions.
Not finding the solution I was looking for, I created this app. It is now available iTunes.
Link to "Tesla Key" on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/tesla-key/id1065805030

Highlights:

Tesla Key is a tool for fast and easy access to your Tesla Motors vehicle from anywhere using your mobile device.

With Tesla Key You can perform the following tasks with your Tesla Vehicle:
- Summon vehicle
- Homelink remote
- Lock and Unlock doors
- Remote start, keyless driving (drive off without the original Tesla Key)
- Open Charge Port Door
- Set required charge limit % and start or stop charging
- Set climate temperature and start or stop climate system in vehicle
- Locate vehicle by honking horn or flashing lights

Other features:
- 3D Touch shortcuts
- Autorun vehicle commands on app start
- Supports multiple vehicles in one account
- Setting default vehicle for quick access to primary vehicle

Se Tesla Owners Manual for more detailed information on the functions available:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model-S-Owners-Manual.pdf

The app is ideal for pre-cooling, pre-heating, keyless driving or charging the vehicle with one click 3D Touch.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 111076
Any Android version?

Ok. I always wonder why developers sometimes ignore the other OS. Missing out an a opportunity to capture users.

Having coded for both, quite simply because Android is a pain in the *$$ to code for. It's a hopelessly fragmented OS with a morass of versions to deal with and manufacturers can put all kinds of crap in there that inadvertently breaks apps. Fine if you're getting paid significantly for the pain, but when it's a hobby, NO THANKS.

While Java is nice for Android, the tools provided for iOS programming, and now with Swift 2, I'm at least 5x more efficient coding for iOS than for Android.

That double whammy of fragmented OS and poorly thought out, cobbled together and slow tool chain for Android means if I have a choice, I'm not building Android code.

Great app! I replaced Tesla's app on my home screen with yours since the only features I care about are remote starting, unlocking, and climate controls.

Thanks for the security info. I was worried about buying it without knowing how secure it is.

Two requests:

1. Add security info into the app notes. People would love to read what you wrote above
2. Remove "Set temp in app settings" after temperature is set.

Last edited:
Great app! I replaced Tesla's app on my home screen with yours since the only features I care about are remote starting, unlocking, and climate controls.

Thanks for the security info. I was worried about buying it without knowing how secure it is.

Two requests:

1. Add security info into the app notes. People would love to read what you wrote above
2. Remove "Set temp in app settings" after temperature is set.

Hi TJunkers,

Thank you for the feedback.
1. I will put the info in app notes, thanks for the tip.
2. Dynamic 3D touch menus are not really supported by Apple, but seems doable. I will look into it.

Hi P85,

Does HomeLink function on non-AP equipped "classic" Model S? I am interested in opening my garage door using the APP with the MS parked inside (for example coming back from walking the dog and getting in the house through the garage)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi P85,

Does HomeLink function on non-AP equipped "classic" Model S? I am interested in opening my garage door using the APP with the MS parked inside (for example coming back from walking the dog and getting in the house through the garage)

Thanks.
Hi vgrinshpun,

If you have the homelink icon and can program homelink in your car the function should work from the app. I have not tested this on non-AP classic Model S.

@P85 - For multiple vehicle owners it seems there isn't any easy way to switch once you set a default vehicle. For example, I set my own car as default vehicle but if I need to access my wife's car, the app doesn't prompt me anymore to choose nor does it give me an option to switch the car.
Am I missing something?

Sorry for the slow reply! I saw this now.
Click the "key icon" within the app (or navigate to settings on the IOS device) and uncheck the selected "Set default vehicle" option. Return to the app.

The next time you check the "Set default vehicle" it will store the vehicle selected next time.