Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster #1232 - First 3.0 for sale...ever?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DeedWest

2008 VP & 2011 2.5 Sport
Feb 5, 2014
Dallas, TX
As always, I'm checking the Roadster market ten times a day, and just came across this on eBay. I did a quick scan of the forum to see if anyone had posted about it before, but didn't find anything.

Roadster 1232, fully loaded, seems to have had a 3.0 battery installed back in November 2015. As I'm sure you'll notice, it's showing 308 miles Ideal Miles in Range Mode, but about an 80% SOC from what I can tell. Even 193 miles of (likely spirited) Estimated Range is legendary. This is the very first one I've seen for sale, and what seems like the very first Roadster IN GENERAL on the internet with any photos/details of 3.0 on a real-world car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Roads...3f67965f:g:BXEAAOSwFNZWvVtC&item=331776235103

Someone is going to get one heck of a deal. I've seen 1232 for sale several times over the past 4+ years, and the original miles have climbed up very slowly each time. Now that it's a 3.0, it's even newer. If this were a more exciting color, I'd likely start selling my organs.

Now, can somebody on the forums buy this thing and FINALLY give us all details we're drooling over?!

333B5470_zpscvfxvkuo.jpg

333B5539_zpsaka3izs7.jpg

333B5538_zps1z3enzjm.jpg

Last edited:
I just decided to keep my Roadster. The Range is more than expected.
And this Roadster is so good looking. That interior, and all those carbon parts in and out (even the air ducts). It's the first real "full option" that I've ever seen..

• Informative
Reactions: Reekdog
As always, I'm checking the Roadster market ten times a day, and just came across this on eBay. I did a quick scan of the forum to see if anyone had posted about it before, but didn't find anything.

Roadster 1232, fully loaded, seems to have had a 3.0 battery installed back in November 2015. As I'm sure you'll notice, it's showing 308 miles Ideal Miles in Range Mode, but about an 80% SOC from what I can tell. Even 193 miles of (likely spirited) Estimated Range is legendary. This is the very first one I've seen for sale, and what seems like the very first Roadster IN GENERAL on the internet with any photos/details of 3.0 on a real-world car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesla-Roads...3f67965f:g:BXEAAOSwFNZWvVtC&item=331776235103

Someone is going to get one heck of a deal. I've seen 1232 for sale several times over the past 4+ years, and the original miles have climbed up very slowly each time. Now that it's a 3.0, it's even newer. If this were a more exciting color, I'd likely start selling my organs.

Now, can somebody on the forums buy this thing and FINALLY give us all details we're drooling over?!

Me: Do we have to send all of the children to university?
Wife: Of course! Why on earth would you.... Oooh.... Shiny!

very very tempting as it looks pristine and we are in the market for one.... Though don't *need* the extra range....

So are they no longer promising 400 miles?
I am not yet ready to conclude that Tesla has abandoned that objective, given how slowly the company has moved towards starting to install 3.0 batteries. The 400 mile range figure was predicated on a Roadster having the complete 3.0 upgrade including new wheel bearings, brake mods to reduce drag, different tires with lower rolling resistance and unspecified "aero" body modification(s). But to date, none of those changes appear to be available. Why the new tire type has not been announced is puzzling: if the tires exist just tell us.
They never really promised that. Elon said "about" 400 miles, and that was with the aero and rolling mods.
I think Tesla committed to a "Roadster 3.0 package" of modifications in this blog post Roadster 3.0 | Tesla Motors
So far only one component of that "package" has become reality.

Last edited:
The 400 mile range figure was predicated on a Roadster having the complete 3.0 upgrade including new wheel bearings, brake mods to reduce drag, different tires with lower rolling resistance and unspecified "aero" body modification(s). But to date, none of those changes appear to be available. Why the new tire type has not been announced is puzzling: if the tires exist just tell us. I think Tesla committed to a "Roadster 3.0 package" of modifications in this blog post Roadster 3.0 | Tesla Motors
So far only one component of that "package" has become reality.

But it was "about" or "around" 400 miles, and of course did not mention under what conditions 400 miles could be achieved. From the blog post:

There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles.

You could do that with the original Roadster too, at 25mph.

Crazy that this 3.0 ESS was installed last November 13th of 2015, and this is the first we've seen or had any visual confirmation it existed. Curious why the original ESS was replaced with a 3.0 and not a std. pack under goodwill. With 4,600 miles the battery either went to zero or had a catastrophic fault. Not complaining they upgraded the customer to the 3.0, but curious what the circumstances were or if indeed they're really running that low on orignal ESS's.

Update:
Ahhh, I think I found part of my answer in the 3.0 thread...

It appears the November one in the eBay auction was sort of a test mule, he shows it was done for free in his paperwork. When are they announcing the Autopilot Roadster program?
tongue.gif

I'm curious if they'll ever get to the rest of the 3.0 stuff from the original announcement. But the battery is the best and most important part for sure.