Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Day 7 of my S90D and a whole heap of questions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose if I read the manual from cover to cover I could find most of the answers I need, but I just like to read the views of other owners so much. So let's start:

1. Does anyone find the drivers sear belt difficult to lock into place. Both myself and my wife seem to struggle to find the slot to plug the belt in.

2. On a car so quiet the seat belt mounting at the bottom closest to the door sometimes knocks against the base of the seat. I know it only needs a bit of sponge putting down there, has anyone done this?

3. I find reverse slow speed creep backwards, especially if there is an uphill gradient, not very smooth. This is with auto creep turned off and you are just feathering the accelerator pedal to move backwards. Manual creep forward is super smooth.

4. There doesn't appear to be a rear windscreen wiper ( or am I just being stupid? ). how do you see out of the rear windscreen when it is raining?

5. Hill starts? Do most people run with the auto creep function on? Or do the hold the car on the foot brake and then quickly move to the accelerator pedal? Or do you just use the electric park brake?

Answers or opinions to any of these questions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

1. No

2. Never had that problem

3. Never had that problem, but I drive with creep engaged.

4. Water runs of when you drive. So not really a problem.

5. Press the brake pedal hard and a 'H' will appear. You have engaged hill hold. Car won't move until you touch the accelerator.

2. On a car so quiet the seat belt mounting at the bottom closest to the door sometimes knocks against the base of the seat. I know it only needs a bit of sponge putting down there, has anyone done this?
I have this problem, or at least something around that area. Haven't found it yet.
3. I find reverse slow speed creep backwards, especially if there is an uphill gradient, not very smooth. This is with auto creep turned off and you are just feathering the accelerator pedal to move backwards. Manual creep forward is super smooth.

5. Hill starts? Do most people run with the auto creep function on? Or do the hold the car on the foot brake and then quickly move to the accelerator pedal? Or do you just use the electric park brake?

Creep mode is kinda dumb. Everything works better without it.

I have this problem, or at least something around that area. Haven't found it yet.

Creep mode is kinda dumb. Everything works better without it.

Man, to each their own. I love creep. I found that "one-pedal" operation didn't really jive with my style of driving since I had to still hit the brake to stop the car fully anyway, and if that's the case, why lose the ability to have the car slowly move forward those small amounts, like in my garage, where I'd really rather it be consistent and measured instead of trying to lightly feature it myself.

Also, OP was referring to him actually "creeping" manually, not creep mode.

On 2, that has been one of my pet peeves since the day I got the car... glad someone else is as anal as me. I've never actually done anything about it, but still, seems odd that we are 1cm of foam from true silence.

4 isn't an issue, I promise.

With the back windows the MS has I do hope the next MS has a rear wiper. Would come in handy cleaning off the window when has light snow on it, etc.

I prefer creep mode on as I do a fair amount of parallel parking (this massively sucks w/o creep). Plus the Roadster has it on always so it makes it easier to move between cars.

But the answer to your question is that it's just touchy - lots of torque available right at 0 rpm, unlike an ICE.

For hills just trust the hill hold. Works perfectly. I have a "classic" Model S and Hill Hold is automatic for a couple seconds. So if I'm sitting on a hill I hold the brake. When it's time to move I take my foot off the brake and the car holds until I hit the accelerator.

1: A little sometimes. Mainly if I am uptight or in a rush. Otherwise, no.

2: I have that. Cinch the belt a bit tighter across your lap, which the safety people say we should do anyway. Stops it every time. When I get around to it I will put a small piece of felt on the seat base where it taps. Might never get to it. Yes, I am anal also.

3: No problem here. But I use creep, which works really well for me in reverse.

4: Drive faster! Seriously though, if I hit 30mph, it is completely clear. I did coat it with Fly-by Forte, which is like uber super duper Rain-X.

5: Brake hold engages automatically on an incline. Press and hold the brake to initiate on level ground. I use it all the time and it is really handy.

Welcome aboard! In a couple months, you will wonder why you ever drove a primitive oil-fired buggy.

I suppose if I read the manual from cover to cover I could find most of the answers I need, but I just like to read the views of other owners so much. So let's start:

1. Does anyone find the drivers sear belt difficult to lock into place. Both myself and my wife seem to struggle to find the slot to plug the belt in.

4. There doesn't appear to be a rear windscreen wiper ( or am I just being stupid? ). how do you see out of the rear windscreen when it is raining?

Answers or opinions to any of these questions would be appreciated.
Thank you.

1. Haven't noticed. I am 5'11" tall and driver's seat is adjusted fairly low.

2. I only have that problem on very choppy roads. I do have air suspension. Not sure that matters.

3. I use auto-creep on. See answer to #5.

4. Yes, no rear wiper. Probably for lower drag. Mine is coated with OptiCoat for glass and clears fairly easily.

As CHG-ON said "5: Brake hold engages automatically on an incline. Press and hold the brake to initiate on level ground. I use it all the time and it is really handy." I would just modify that a little. Press a bit harder than normal on the brake pedal and you will notice the circled H icon appear at the top right of the instrument cluster notifying you that "hill hold" is engaged. Simply press the accelerator to disengage it. I also use this all the time when trying to reverse up an incline.

Enjoy your 90D!