Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning PlugSurfing App is publishing PRIVATE data from EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll paste what I wrote

Hi,

It's come to my attention that my and other users' details from the private section of the site have been published by another site - Plugsurfing - EV Community

One of the reasons for having private data only available to other members is that it is not open to abuse and there is some traceability of the people that turn up at your address. If this is not respected then I and others will have no choice but to withdraw our service and hospitality.

At this point it seems that Plug Surfing's database *is* the EV Network database.

This seems to be a clear breach of the DPA, particularly as Plug Surfing has already fobbed off one member that has asked them for an explanation - Complaints about data protection policy - ICO

Frankly I am disappointed that this was not consulted on first, but I would like an answer as to whether EV Network consented to Plug Surfing using this data or whether it was an unsolicited database scrape.

David

A message from PlugSurfing

Hello

This is Adam from PlugSurfing. I am the UK community manager and I am grateful to Kevin for bringing this issue to our attention.

As with all faults and concerns that crop up in beta testing, and in particular with those concerning data security, we are taking this feedback very seriously. We have removed the data of those that have asked us to directly, and this morning we decided to remove ALL private data from our database. This is a temporary measure whilst we gain the explicit consent of all involved to display the data.

Please find my details below and feel free to contact me if you feel that we are not doing enough to satisfy your concerns, or if you have any further feedback you would like to share

Thank you

Adam
PlugSurfing UK
[email protected]
+44 2030516624

I have been informed by PlugSurfing that they are in the process of removing all private data. They declined to comment on how they obtained the EV Network members only data. Should anyone wish to contact the company involved here are the details;

Tom Raulien
E-Xite Limited
29 Harley Street
London
W1G 9QR

email from EV Network;

Starting yesterday evening I have received several complains by e-mail from EV Network members claiming that their personal data is appearing on a web site called Plug Surfing. Until that point I has never heard of this website and certainly no agreement exists proving them access to personal data from EV Network members.

From my initial investigations it appears that basic latitude and longitude data is appearing on Plug Surfing along with perhaps a street name and/or house number. I am very concerned about this - indeed my own home address is listed on the Plug Surfing web site.

I have today spoken to Plug Surfing and have been assured that the EV Network data will be deleted by the end of the day. They have also told me that they will tell me how this data was obtained. I suspect that they may only have a PoI file from a SatNav, but we'll see what they come up with.

In the meantime let me reassure you that we take protection of personal data seriously and will take this further if necessary to ensure that data is removed from the Plug Surfing website.

An Update on A Hard Day's Work

Hello

I am writing now to give you an update. I have spoken to Tim at the EV-Network and he, as well as some other members, have voiced concerns which I have listened to and acted upon.

We refute any allegations of 'hacking' private data or of 'breaching' protection laws. We maintain that all we have done is used publicly available data to help fellow
EV enthusiasts find charging points and continue to drive the vehicles we all love.

We do, however, take any allegations seriously and we have therefore taken the dramatic measure of removing ALL private data whilst we fully investigate. All private
data should now be removed (except one entry, which we are working on right now). If you feel your data has not been removed (once you have cleaned your cache), or you have further concerns, please contact me on the details below.

Rather than feel scorned or 'found out' by this matter, we are grateful it was brought to our attention and I am very pleased to see how our small team have been able to respond in a quick, efficient and professional way. I hope this underlines not only how seriously we are taking the issue, but more importantly how committed we are to creating the perfect community for drivers and chargers of all electric vehicles.

This is where your role of experieced and hardened EV users comes in. We have listened to your concerns today, but that isn't enough. What more can we do to improve this free, community app and website service? We already have a great online presence, a great app recommended by iTunes, informed members and a dedicated team. We already have user profiles, chat functions, European-wide data and an aim for a better, cleaner future.

So tell us. We are now in Beta - this is the perfect time. What would you like to see? Collaboration with other networks and pioneers of the EV industry? Great, lets
talk about it! The biggest dataset, held securely, of EV charging points to help drive towards a complete network? Brilliant, how can we do it? Remember, we are
setting up a community, and this is your community.

So, thank you for bringing this issue to light and lets see how we can move on together. Contact me at any time with queries and suggestions and lets build that
complete EV network and community which we all want.

Adam Woolway

PlugSurfing UK
[email protected]
+44 2030516624

Adam, I am not sure how you can claim this is publicly available (and therefore copyable) data when it is only available to logged in members of a site that you have to pay to join. That membership fee covers the upkeep and nothing else for what is a true community site.

Your claim that this is publicly available data is by-the-by. You have no right to copy it without the consent of the website owner or members. Just because something is publicly visible doesn't mean it is public domain. It is therefore a breach of the Data Protection Act and EV Network's copyright, and may well breach the Computer Misuse Act.

I gave my details for the use of members of the EV Network and to see them turn up on an unrelated site is a clear contravention of the letter of the DPA. I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say EV Network has a good case if they wished to pursue it.

Furthermore, your organisation is a limited company. As this is not a charity, I can only assume that in one way or another this copied data will be used for commercial gain.

An Update on A Hard Day's Work
This is where your role of experieced and hardened EV users comes in. We have listened to your concerns today, but that isn't enough. What more can we do to improve this free, community app and website service? We already have a great online presence, a great app recommended by iTunes, informed members and a dedicated team. We already have user profiles, chat functions, European-wide data and an aim for a better, cleaner future.
Way to try to turn this blunder and possible illegal action into a marketing opportunity! :rolleyes:
Also the misplaced carrage returns mean this is a copy-and-paste post. On how many other forums are they trying to do damage control?

same here in germany with the lemnet.org datas.
I digged a little deeper :

plugsurfing.com is owned by

e-xite Ltd.,
SUITE B 29
HARLEY STREET
LONDON
W1G 9QR

At the same address we find 46 companies of which a Ms Victoria William is director

Victoria William - free company director check. Companies House Information

Everyone who is now thinking of money laundering, tax evasion or just address selling is really a "fiese Möp" :biggrin: