Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One disappointment in the new MX is the amount of road noise at highway speed. Is have the 22" wheels so I understand that people say they are louder. However, I had big low profile tires on my BMW X5. This car has a lot more road noise. Has anyone noticed this same issue? Is there a way to mitigate it after market? It seems to me that many years ago I heard of spraying the wheel wells with foam or something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Disagree
Reactions: valakos and Rossy
I did the test drive, and was actually able to drive 2 separate vehicles due to the lack of scheduled drives today. There wasn't any "extra" noise that I noticed from either vehicle.
20160210_130820.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Try running the tires in the lower end of the suggested pressure range.

Reactions: valakos
The mechanical silence definitely increases the sense of road noise. I found that it took me several weeks to really notice it, compared to the test drive, because the car is so silent. There are many threads here talking about mitigation: Conti-Silent tires-not cheap (but apparently very, very quiet), DIY foam in tires-a great thread on this, Dynamat-which is supposed to the best and amazing, but not cheap or easy... But I think Dynamat is the best solution, if you are up to the task. I am still building my fortitude to pull the entire interior apart to do it! Maybe in stages. But what I have read is that we can get pretty darn close to silent from the road. Wind resistance is another story.

The problem, so first world as it is, is that the car is so quiet when running that we now hear all the other stuff we never could hear with all the gear mashing and exhaust.

Now, when I get into any gas powered car, hybrid or not, I think "how crude these are". Gas cars are loud, and hybrids are clunky, fidgety and weird with their manual regen (Prius). And loud in a bad way. The Tesla is seamless.

By lowering the pressure, softer tires less noise transmitted through the tires. Yes, there will be a "larger" contact patch. But, is the noise coming from the tire contacting the ground or the noise being transmitted through the tires? I assumed it was the noise being transmitted to the chassis because the tires were harder and therefore causing a "jarring" sound when travelling over the road.

A lot of road noise transmission relates to the bushings used in the suspension. Softer bushings transmit less noise but adversely affect handling and feel a bit mushy in the steering. Firmer bushings give more feel and better handling but transmit more road noise via the suspension to the body. Just like summer vs. winter tires, each is a compromise of different features.

Judging by the feel of the Model X steering I would say the car's suspension bushings are fairly firm (as compared to my Lexus LS460).

Whatever the reason, I am disappointed in the amount of road (tire) noise, particularly from the front wheels, at all speeds and the wind noise at highway speeds. I realize that this is a quiet car, but the cabin noise level is definitely higher than my wife's Lexus ES at all speeds and on all road types. It's not obnoxious, and you can certainly carry on a normal conversation, but is is certainly not the "quiet electric glide" that I expected. Still LOVE the car though. BTW, mine came with the 20" Michelin "Summer" tires and most of the wind noise seems to come from the mirrors.

Whatever the reason, I am disappointed in the amount of road (tire) noise, particularly from the front wheels, at all speeds and the wind noise at highway speeds. I realize that this is a quiet car, but the cabin noise level is definitely higher than my wife's Lexus ES at all speeds and on all road types. It's not obnoxious, and you can certainly carry on a normal conversation, but is is certainly not the "quiet electric glide" that I expected. Still LOVE the car though. BTW, mine came with the 20" Michelin "Summer" tires and most of the wind noise seems to come from the mirrors.
I just turn the music up!

In regards to your wind noise, have your local service center work on it. My X had quite a bit of wind noise, especially above 70 mph and it took two visits to adjust seals and window positioning. Now the car is very quiet and I'm quite happy with it after the work they have done. I'm very particular when it comes to wind noise. For example, with my Sig. S it took 3 years, but Tesla was finally able to address all the various wind noise that was in my Model S. To my ears they have achieved it in my X after two service visits!

In regards to your wind noise, have your local service center work on it. My X had quite a bit of wind noise, especially above 70 mph and it took two visits to adjust seals and window positioning. Now the car is very quiet and I'm quite happy with it after the work they have done. I'm very particular when it comes to wind noise. For example, with my Sig. S it took 3 years, but Tesla was finally able to address all the various wind noise that was in my Model S. To my ears they have achieved it in my X after two service visits!

Great - thanks. I'll add it to my extremely short list. In fact, the only issue I've had so far is very occasional false sensing in the FWD's. Doesn't happen often enough to bring it in yet.

So I just got done test driving a MX at the Dallas Service Center, part of the traveling road show.

After oogling over all the features, and realizing that I probably can live without the folding 2nd row seats in a 6-seat option, I was ready for a ride.

What a huge disappointment in the amount of road and wind noise heard in the driver seat, and not just heard, but "felt". I was not as though there was a specific area of a leak, just generalized noise.
The wife in the backseat said there was much noise coming from her window (which won;t affect me) plus the noise from the floor.

Under 55 MPH on surface roads and highway it was like there was a microphone under the car and speakers in the door, almost every crack in the road was heard.

Over 72 MPH,the wind noise from the Pano-windshield was like being in a wind tunnel, I actually had to raise my voice to carry on a normal conversation.

On a sound meter, the decibels measured 67-73 on the exact same highway stretch at the same speed that was 62-65 in my Cayenne. At lower speeds, a 5-7 dBs increase of the MX over the Cayenne.

The demo MX was, according to the "co-pilot" was a Founder's Model (so very early production) and it did have 22" wheels, so that will be a contributing factor.

I admit I am absolutely spoiled by years of Lexus and Porsche SUVs and I do tend to focus on the cabin noise, but this particular noise experience is worse than current the Ford Explorers, Audi Q7 and even my duaghter's 2012 Kia Sorrento.

Neither the 'co-pilot" or the lead service person offered any suggestions other than to say the newer models may be quieter, and the 20" wheels will definitely be quieter, which I agree.

I presume that with all the other tech and features, plus the lack of a noisy engine, special care was not taken to add soundproofing measures on this over $110K vehicle.

I actually looked to see if the old Ziebart treatment was available, but no way I would do that to a MX.

The only thing that may improve on this is a noise-canceling addition to the sound system.

Would that be possible with the current microphone, speaker system and sound system with a software update, or will that require an additional hardware sound processor?

Anybody else have some experience, input, or suggestions? This is really a major bummer for me and could be a deal breaker.

***UPDATE*** SC replaced a driver's side door gasket and adjusted several others, including foam tape to seal a gap. The wind noise is much better.

The tire noise is still annoying. I've been told that the culprit is the Michelin "performance summer" tires it came with. I have asked the SC to replace the tires with the Continental "Conti-Silent" All-Weather tires which are supposed to be much quieter, due to the foam lining around the inside of the tread. As a last resort, since my car is leased and I expect to have to replace the tires toward the end of the lease, I'll buy the Conti's now and when they wear out put the Michelin's back on the car when I turn it in. I have 20" wheels.

THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE HAVING TIRE NOISE, PLEASE POST WHAT SIZE WHEELS AND WHICH BRAND OF TIRES YOU HAVE.

Found in my MX that a single seal is slightly off on driver's side and when pressure is applied to it while driving the wind noise stops. Hoping to have it adjusted soon at SC

Reactions: Rossy