Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says Model 3 will release first as highly optioned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listening to Q4 Earnings Report Q and A - Elon just said that the first Model 3s will be offered highly optioned - as they have done with the Model S and X. If that ends some of the speculation about what will come first....

Can anyone comment on the process of preordering in terms of whether it locks you in to the highly optioned first deliveries (obviously not the Founder models), or whether you are still able to customize/delay when your number comes up. I'm interested in preordering on the 31st, but I'd also like to hang back if there are self-driving improvements or the like on the horizon.

Can anyone comment on the process of preordering in terms of whether it locks you in to the highly optioned first deliveries (obviously not the Founder models), or whether you are still able to customize/delay when your number comes up. I'm interested in preordering on the 31st, but I'd also like to hang back if there are self-driving improvements or the like on the horizon.

I can only speak to the X, but having a reservation did not lock you into anything. I haven't configured yet (invited around 6 weeks ago), and Tesla has not yet come calling to get me to make a decision.

Well I guess I'll end up getting mine first and my wife's will be pretty far behind then. I want to max mine out, basically whatever the equivalent of the P90DL is, but my wife will only need very basic with autopilot as it will be a commuter car.

Actually, it may work out in our favor if I can get first in line and deliver in 2017 and then hers a few months later, so we could do two separate full tax credits.

That is of course unless we end up moving up to a Model S before then.

Listening to Q4 Earnings Report Q and A - Elon just said that the first Model 3s will be offered highly optioned - as they have done with the Model S and X. If that ends some of the speculation about what will come first....
I think they will offer the full line but higher optioned cars will be built/delivered first, similar to MX. Of course Founders or Signature cars, if offered, will be fully loaded.

No one should be surprised here. Even after that hardly anyone will be buying a zero optioned car. Expect a 35k base plus ~10k in options. IMO
Keep in mind that Model S begins at $70,00 and ends at $144,500. That range is pretty typical for other manufacturers also. We should expect the base Model 3 at $35,000 and fully optioned at around $80,000 or so. That is roughly the US market range for BMW 3 series, even a broader range in Europe. I'm planning on an $80,000 price tag for mine in 2016 dollars.

Not that I'm surprised, but it's still a bummer for me. I was basically looking for an intermediate level of options that could mostly be covered by the tax credit. Otherwise, I'd be looking at the stripped-down model if the tax credits go away before they get to me. Guess I'll have to see what comes on it to see if it makes sense. Since it isn't supposed to come in FWD, I'll need AWD to handle snow and ice and probably the maximum battery model (especially if that still has an unlimited-mile warranty -- I put on about 40k miles a year, so that matters a lot to me). Anything else is in the nice-to-have category. (Heated seats, too, if they're not too much -- I've never had a car with them, but I like it in other people's cars when I've been in them.) I couldn't care less about performance stuff -- I just want to get from A to B safely.

Keep in mind that Model S begins at $70,00 and ends at $144,500. That range is pretty typical for other manufacturers also. We should expect the base Model 3 at $35,000 and fully optioned at around $80,000 or so. That is roughly the US market range for BMW 3 series, even a broader range in Europe. I'm planning on an $80,000 price tag for mine in 2016 dollars.
So you want the BMW M3 fighter? Tesla M3 PxxD. Only way to get a $80k 3-series.

- - - Updated - - -

You are not getting a Model 3 in 2017. When Elon says production and deliveries begin in 2017, that means a few founders get their car in 2017. Maybe.
Agreed. On the call tonight he said late 2017, I'd assume 4Q.

I don't know....he started talking about how that was done with the S and now X, but the way he was phrasing his words it sounded like he was getting to a BUT in his sentence and then went on a tangent. He never actually answered the question.