Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" wheels can only tow 3,500 lbs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, but I don't understand why having larger wheels will limit your towing.

I guess it has to do with the tires available ... as far I know the 22" tires are only available with load index of 106 and the 20" with 112

106 is up to 950kg (2090lb) and 112 is up to 1120kg (2470lb), so you have to check with the maximum tongue weight according to the trailer and add that to the axle weight of the Model X ..

It's not so much the larger wheels as it is the lower profile tires that come on them.
What do you mean by lower profile?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it has to do with the tires available ... as far I know the 22" tires are only available with load index of 106 and the 20" with 112

106 is up to 950kg (2090lb) and 112 is up to 1120kg (2470lb), so you have to check with the maximum tongue weight according to the trailer and add that to the axle weight of the Model X ..
That would make sense.

And yet they cost more!:biggrin:

All in how you look at it. You are buying more metal rim and less rubber tire. And with less rubber the rubber has to be better to make up for the fact there is less of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered 20's for the tow rating, ride and lower noise.

My car delivered with two other cars on Dec 31st. All three cars were parked in the delivery area a few feet apart. Mine was in the middle. As I walked around looking at the cars I commented to the other owners, "looks like we all went with 20's". They both informed me they had 22's.

So standing right next to cars with both sizes within several feet of each other it was difficult to see the one inch difference without reading the size printed on the tire.

I hated to give up the higher cost option on a fixed price Sig but so far I am happy with everything about the 20's.

When you're in any area where it drops to below freezing, you learn your lesson quickly. Model S came to our family with the 21" wheels. Within 2 months, two tires had split as a result of hitting two very minor potholes on cold days (two separate events). Cold weather turns the tires to brittle rocks. Less sidewall support + heavy car + pothole + cold weather == $$$. Those tires aren't cheap, either.

We now have 19" tires that stay on the car year round (on Rial Lugano wheels). I'm just fine with 20" on the Model X. I'm a bit disappointed that they used staggered configurations on both 20" and 22", the ability to rotate the tires back-to-front on the Model S is what makes them last nearly twice as long.

It an AWD vehicle, rotating tires doesn't buy you much life and if the tires are properly balanced and inflated, they should wear almost evenly to begin with, making tire rotation more an exercise in futility. On RWD vehicles, it's an entirely different story most of the time.

It an AWD vehicle, rotating tires doesn't buy you much life and if the tires are properly balanced and inflated, they should wear almost evenly to begin with, making tire rotation more an exercise in futility. On RWD vehicles, it's an entirely different story most of the time.

Thanks for that reminder. I'm living in my RWD Tesla world.

That said, we do know that Tesla modulates the motors during acceleration - not sure about regen - such that it's still a chance you can end up with different wear.

Would love to hear from anyone who's gone through extensive miles on their Model S with "D"... do the fronts wear evenly compared to rears?

There are a number of things that add to the towing capacity of your wheel/tire set. The biggest is the tire. Let me explain this first, then I'll get to the load capacity. Every car has the speedometer calibrated for a certain circumference wheel/tire setup. Circumference is defined a Pi * diameter. Since Pi is constant, then in the diameter of the wheel/tire setup must be kept constant to keep the speedometer reading correctly. So, let's say that the diameter of a Model X wheel/tire set is 27". With 19" wheels, the tire side wall is then 4" (19" + 4" top + 4" bottom). For a 22" wheel, the tire sidewall is just 2.5". How does this affect load rating (towing capacity)? Well, the sidewall of the tire is what provides the stability. It is like a spring. So, as the sidewall gets smaller, the load index of the tire generally gets less. Now, you can shop and buy tires with all sorts of load and speed ratings, but assume that the tires in my example have the same 'spring rating' of the side wall at say 5000 lbs/inch of compression. If you load the 4" sidewall tire with 5,000 lbs (car and add'l load), the sidewall will deflect approximately 1" or 1/4. However, if you loaded the 2.5" sidewall with the same load, it would deflect the same 1" but it would be 40% of the sidewall and most definitely blowout. I know this is a layman's example and that there are a lot more technical terms and formulas that I could have used, but for the basic answer of why does a larger wheel have a lower load rating, I hope this helps. Mike
Ok, but I don't understand why having larger wheels will limit your towing.

The manual says that if you tow with the 22" tires, you must raise them to the maximum psi of 50 lbs, so it sounds like even doing class II is a bit of a push with these tires. On the plus side, they are Pirellis with a treadwear rating of 420, so they might last twice as long as the Model S 21" Michelin tires, which have a treadwear rating of 220. They also seem to do better in snow than the Michelins.

There are a number of things that add to the towing capacity of your wheel/tire set. The biggest is the tire. Let me explain this first, then I'll get to the load capacity. Every car has the speedometer calibrated for a certain circumference wheel/tire setup. Circumference is defined a Pi * diameter. Since Pi is constant, then in the diameter of the wheel/tire setup must be kept constant to keep the speedometer reading correctly. So, let's say that the diameter of a Model X wheel/tire set is 27". With 19" wheels, the tire side wall is then 4" (19" + 4" top + 4" bottom). For a 22" wheel, the tire sidewall is just 2.5". How does this affect load rating (towing capacity)? Well, the sidewall of the tire is what provides the stability. It is like a spring. So, as the sidewall gets smaller, the load index of the tire generally gets less. Now, you can shop and buy tires with all sorts of load and speed ratings, but assume that the tires in my example have the same 'spring rating' of the side wall at say 5000 lbs/inch of compression. If you load the 4" sidewall tire with 5,000 lbs (car and add'l load), the sidewall will deflect approximately 1" or 1/4. However, if you loaded the 2.5" sidewall with the same load, it would deflect the same 1" but it would be 40% of the sidewall and most definitely blowout. I know this is a layman's example and that there are a lot more technical terms and formulas that I could have used, but for the basic answer of why does a larger wheel have a lower load rating, I hope this helps. Mike

Yes thanks for explaining.

- - - Updated - - -

On the plus side, they are Pirellis with a treadwear rating of 420

That rating tho, I wonder if Elon thought it would be funny to go with those :wink:

Is it common knowledge that 20" wheels can tow 5,000 lbs and the 22" wheels can only tow 3,500 lbs? according to the guy in this video...

2016 Tesla Model X P90D Signature w/Ludicrous Mode Power Up, Test Drive In Depth Review - YouTube

at around the 16 minute mark he says that the 22's only tow 3,500 lbs. Is this true or is this guy misinformed? I don't see why larger wheels would tow less, I would expect them to tow more.
I got a 2019 Model X Dual Motor with 22’s. I just towed my 2008 Malibu Wakesetter 21 VLX (3600lb) over 70 miles and over two mountain ranges with zero issue. I’m not saying that anyone should go against the suggested 3500 lb towing capacity, but I had no other options to tow my boat to my vacation home and it pulled the boat like a champ. I had no issues launching the boat and picking it up on a 15-20 degree ramp. The ride was smooth and I didn’t even feel like there was a boat behind me.

Attachments

• B5E0DB4B-3FA0-4ADB-8E8C-F2B1B28DC8A6.jpeg
    B5E0DB4B-3FA0-4ADB-8E8C-F2B1B28DC8A6.jpeg
    660.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 03214BF1-BD95-4D62-B87B-CCC01F871FBC.jpeg
    03214BF1-BD95-4D62-B87B-CCC01F871FBC.jpeg
    502.8 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: spectrum