Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are yearly updates on model s usually?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to possibly buy a model s to keep my soon to be delivered model X company in the garage. Anybody know when tesla usually updates their cars? P85 --> P85+ --> P85D. I don't want to be like those unfortunate people that had their car built mid September 2014 two days before autopilot hardware started getting installed.

I'm looking to possibly buy a model s to keep my soon to be delivered model X company in the garage. Anybody know when tesla usually updates their cars? P85 --> P85+ --> P85D. I don't want to be like those unfortunate people that had their car built mid September 2014 two days before autopilot hardware started getting installed.

According to one Tesla employee, "20 updates a week". The problem with waiting is you will never buy this amazing car, because it is more amazing every day.

Get it while it's hot.

I was more referring to buying a car now vs June/July in anticipation of a possible model s refresh that incorporates some of the new model X goodies.
If you wait, there's no guarantee you'll get anything. But if you wait we can guarantee you'll miss out on what's already here.

Tesla introduces updates on their schedule and nobody else's, there's no guarantee any particular feature will come any time soon.

If there's a specific feature you must have, wait for that feature, but realize it could be many years, or never. If it's just "I want the latest and greatest" then stop trying to guess, and just start driving, whatever gets announced in the future will in no way detract from what you get today, and waiting just pushes out your enjoyment of the vehicle.

I was more referring to buying a car now vs June/July in anticipation of a possible model s refresh that incorporates some of the new model X goodies.

Wouldn't they have incorporated Model X goodies into Model S by now since Model X tech has been out for a while now? As others have stated, you can't really count on anything coming out, especially when the rumor mill hasn't been churning much lately. For example, before ludicrous mode came out a few months ago, there was already a lot of talk about a 2.8 second P85D months in advance.

The answer to your question is: There are no "yearly updates" - period. Features are added, removed, or improved whenever Tesla is ready to do so. Pricing and/or feature bundling changes whenever Tesla feels they want to do it. Historically that can be months or just days apart.

I think you have your answer... you may want to avail yourself to the Options by Year WIKI. As options, features and models change, get added, dropped, replaced or sun-setted, I try to document these changes. The location of the WIKI for the Model S is pointed to in my SIG. It is organized chronologically and today's entry, regarding the fact that the Carbon Fibre Rear Spoiler is now, for the first time available in the TESLA GEAR website for ALL Model S is the latest change.... enjoy... and BTW good luck getting the "latest S".... for as soon as you have it... it changes...

I think you have your answer... you may want to avail yourself to the Options by Year WIKI. As options, features and models change, get added, dropped, replaced or sun-setted, I try to document these changes. The location of the WIKI for the Model S is pointed to in my SIG. It is organized chronologically and today's entry, regarding the fact that the Carbon Fibre Rear Spoiler is now, for the first time available in the TESLA GEAR website for ALL Model S is the latest change.... enjoy... and BTW good luck getting the "latest S".... for as soon as you have it... it changes...

thx. :)

If reliable auto-pilot is important to you, then wait for AP2. imo, the current AP hardware is inadequate for more user friendly AP. Software update can only do what the hardware signal can provide. My crystal ball says AP2 is coming in late 2016 (EM time):wink:

When I bought my S I thought of it sort of like when I buy a new Apple product. I know I'm going to love it and it will do wondrous things.

But I also know that a few months (weeks?) later there will be an even better version for me to lust after. :)

I took delivery of a loaded p85 oct 1 2014, no autopilot.... Super bummed, within the first week the loss from taxes alone would have been ~30k. I'm waiting for AP 2 to come out, I drive so much I think it'll be really helpful. With that said I have loved my car for the time I've had it but I've been pretty bummed thinking everyone else has something so much better. I'll never not have a tesla, love them.