Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot: What happens if you fall asleep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice vid and good execution on the car's part. Thanks for posting. Though I had read that it would pull to the shoulder. That would be safer, for sure. The fact that you can hit the go pedal and AP stays engaged while sounding an alarm is a bit, well, alarming.

Well ... as our hands are to remain on the steering wheel at all times, falling asleep behind the steering wheel is a bad example. A sleepy drivers should find a rest area......
A better example would be becoming incapacitated behind the wheel.... then being stopped in the middle of the road with the flashers on just might save your life.....as other drivers typically would assume something has gone wrong and provide assistance... just my 2 cents....

Interesting: Your Hazards appeared to turn on while the car was slowing down.

This is a good compromise for safety. Pulling over might not be a good option: what if the car isn't able to find an open spot in the adjacent lane, or can't tell how many lanes there are? Or worse, pull over and fall off the shoulder down a cliff? I think it's better to assume the lane a driver is currently in when they are incapacitated is an actual physical lane, thus a reasonable place to stop. The hazards flashing are critical for safety and nicely implemented.

I agree activating the horn might be a good idea to also wake the driver and alert others as well.

Tesla has previously stated that the car is programmed to pull to the shoulder. Not in the middle of a traffic lane.

I've never seen that in a statement from Tesla about Autopilot. I've read it from people that assumed the car would pull over once it slowed down.

The behavior is acceptable since you are responsible for the car whether it is in Autopilot or not. If you fell asleep or became unconscious in a normal car the consequences would be far worse.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I've never seen that in a statement from Tesla about Autopilot. I've read it from people that assumed the car would pull over once it slowed down.

The behavior is acceptable since you are responsible for the car whether it is in Autopilot or not. If you fell asleep or became unconscious in a normal car the consequences would be far worse.

I've seen a video where Elon states the car will pull over.

What I don't like is that the car accelerates again if you step in the accelerator after AP had slowed to car with Hazards on.
What if the driver had a heartattack, stroke,... V1 should stop the car if the driver ignored all the warnings
. V2 AP should drive you to the nearest ER.