Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now the right time to order a 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order will be confirmed in this week, but due to some changes recently (the S85/D all removed), I'm not sure whether there is a significant adjust in near March?
Like upgrade 70 to 75, or reduce the 70's price, etc. for keeping model S attractive while the model 3 start to rollout.
So should I hold on the production until to March to see what's going on, or just start it now?
Thanks!

My order will be confirmed in this week, but due to some changes recently (the S85/D all removed), I'm not sure whether there is a significant adjust in near March?
Like upgrade 70 to 75, or reduce the 70's price, etc. for keeping model S attractive while the model 3 start to rollout.
So should I hold on the production until to March to see what's going on, or just start it now?
Thanks!
I don't think we'll be seeing price drop anytime soon or at all
The model 3 release will not happen anytime soon, I'm thinking at least 2 years. Maybe 1.5 years for a few early models

The Tesla continuous improvement model can make pulling the trigger on ordering kind of tough. But my advice is to go for it. I pulled the trigger on my P85D and three weeks later the P90DL came out. I could have waited initially or cancelled my order but I didn't. I've never regretted either decision. I feel like I've already had two new car experiences (one upon delivery) and one when 7.0 AP came out. Now I'm looking forward to my third new car experience when I get the Ludy retrofit.

Jump in with both feet IMO.

Here's more trigger ammo... ;)

The Model X is getting all the attention right now. I sincerely doubt we will even get the latest firmware going forward. This will only get worse as MX shipments increase and it becomes the new Tesla darling.

Model 3 is probably 3+ years from your driveway... and MS is going to be the forgotten child for a while anyway.. so ...

Here's more trigger ammo... ;)

The Model X is getting all the attention right now. I sincerely doubt we will even get the latest firmware going forward. This will only get worse as MX shipments increase and it becomes the new Tesla darling.

Model 3 is probably 3+ years from your driveway... and MS is going to be the forgotten child for a while anyway.. so ...
There isn't a lot of X out on the road to warrant them getting a newer firmware before S. Maybe in time but with so many variations of S there's a lot more testing involved.

S70 is the least expensive Model S ever. At 70k it's the same price as S60 but came without supercharging access, enhanced navigation, emergency breaking, etc. I seriously doubt a price reduction is coming any time soon for the 70. This is just my opinion, based on following Model S history since 2013. 70D is a the best deal IMO, especially that based onesome reverse engineering by some fans it appears that 70KWhr battery actually holds more than the rated 70KWhr charge.

Also, and this is purely subjective, you will love driving the car., You only live once, so I'd go for as soon as you can afford it. And even if some new option becomes available at some point in the future, don't sweat it, you will still have a great car. If you wait for the latest and greatest, you will NEVER buy a Tesla.

Also, and this is purely subjective, you will love driving the car., You only live once, so I'd go for as soon as you can afford it. And even if some new option becomes available at some point in the future, don't sweat it, you will still have a great car. If you wait for the latest and greatest, you will NEVER buy a Tesla.
Exactly my perception, too! I ordered a S 70 last October and got it less than 4 weeks later since it was an already built new car from the pool. Didn't want to wait and decided to go for this readily configured and produced car. It wasn't exactly the options I wanted but very close... AP was mandatory! And it was much cheaper than it would be now since the base price was still the price when it was produced in late summer 2015, and we saw 2 price increases since then (at least over here in Europe). So my advice is: Buy your Tesla now and be happy! :smile: