Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk Actuator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard a rumor that there might be an actuator that closes the front trunk on the newer cars. Any truth to this? Someone had a loaner P85D that had one. Thoughts?
I can not confirm, however some owners have reported that on closing the frunk they of new D models they hear a small motor like sound that they believe to be pulling the frunk fully shut. There has been no confirmation on exactly what it is though.

I can not confirm, however some owners have reported that on closing the frunk they of new D models they hear a small motor like sound that they believe to be pulling the frunk fully shut. There has been no confirmation on exactly what it is though.

Yes, I'm one of those that can hear a motor sound but it could just be the electronics of the frunk latch opening/closing rather than a motor pulling the latch closed.

Yes, I'm one of those that can hear a motor sound but it could just be the electronics of the frunk latch opening/closing rather than a motor pulling the latch closed.

This is my experience too. I remember a thread a long time ago where someone stated that they thought the motor was actually pulling the frunk closed, but it was later confirmed that was not the case. I

f I unlock my frunk I hear that motor sound and it "pops" open slightly, but I don't fully lift it up within a certain amount of time, I will hear the motor sound again and it locks that latch so I can't fully open the frunk. It's still slightly open, but I can only push it back down to fully lock it; I cannot fully open it unless I unlock it again (and then you hear that motor unlock the latch).

I'm guessing it's a safety feature that will lock the latch so the frunk won't just fly open if you inadvertently unlock it or unlock it and forget to open it/lock it.

This is my experience too. I remember a thread a long time ago where someone stated that they thought the motor was actually pulling the frunk closed, but it was later confirmed that was not the case. I

f I unlock my frunk I hear that motor sound and it "pops" open slightly, but I don't fully lift it up within a certain amount of time, I will hear the motor sound again and it locks that latch so I can't fully open the frunk. It's still slightly open, but I can only push it back down to fully lock it; I cannot fully open it unless I unlock it again (and then you hear that motor unlock the latch).

I'm guessing it's a safety feature that will lock the latch so the frunk won't just fly open if you inadvertently unlock it or unlock it and forget to open it/lock it.

This is my experience, too.

My Nov. 2015 P90D does not pull the frunk closed when I place the frunk down into the latch. That would be awesome, however. I am so paranoid of rippling the hood that I only used he frunk occasionally.

I think the manual frunk was a huge fail. The rear has it. Why not the front? Pretty basic hardware these days.

It's been one of my few pet pieves about the Model S. From what I heard there may be some safety requirements that prevent powered hood, like the liftgate. Those requirements may be outdated, but unless they are changed, manufacturers cannot include power hoods. They are likely requiring the user to personally latch the hood, rather than relying on an automatic mechanism which may fail to fully close. Having been in a car where a car dealer disabled the hood latch in my Honda and my hood opened as soon as I hit highway speeds, I can tell you it is VERY dagerous - the hood blocked all forward visibility while taking out the front window and the sunroof. I'm sure Tesla could add sensors that would prevent the car from driving unless the hood is latched, however those safety requirements were written for old, mostly mechanical cars. I hope the rules change and soft close at least makes it to the Tesla vehicles.

It's been one of my few pet pieves about the Model S. From what I heard there may be some safety requirements that prevent powered hood, like the liftgate. Those requirements may be outdated, but unless they are changed, manufacturers cannot include power hoods. They are likely requiring the user to personally latch the hood, rather than relying on an automatic mechanism which may fail to fully close. Having been in a car where a car dealer disabled the hood latch in my Honda and my hood opened as soon as I hit highway speeds, I can tell you it is VERY dagerous - the hood blocked all forward visibility while taking out the front window and the sunroof. I'm sure Tesla could add sensors that would prevent the car from driving unless the hood is latched, however those safety requirements were written for old, mostly mechanical cars. I hope the rules change and soft close at least makes it to the Tesla vehicles.

Yeah, having the hood fly up on the interstate would really suck!