Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Presenting Front Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods - please move if this has been posted - didn't see it.

Just got a firmware notice around 3:30pm this afternoon (first time I've seen one not in the morning), but after the update there were all sorts of new controls for the FWD and auto-presenting front door now works.

I'm hoping this resolves some of the FWD sensor sensitivity that I have seen.

I'll post version and release notes later.

-jason

Got it here too. I won't steal Jason's thunder (pix or notes) except for the version number (2.11.54).

The FWDs work -perfectly- now. I mean -perfectly-.

My driver's door now opens exactly the right amount and the auto-open on approach feels like f'ing magic.

After you get out (with one or both hands full), don't bother to close the driver door or mess with it in any way; it closes itself as you walk away.

All in an OTA update, folks. GM is hamstrung with dealers and can't ever do OTA... too bad, boo hoo.

Tesla Rocks!

Sig #163 here... I knew they'd come through; this is a -very- satisfying release.

Jason, I also received the upgrade today. I was on version 7.1 (2.10.71). The NEW release is 7.1 (2.11.54). It is impressive and I took the photos before seeing your post. I will let you post your photos on the thread pages. (Jason's photos below are more accurate. Mine show limitations due to boxes in the garage!)

Here is a link to my photos and screen videos on Flickr: Auto Presenting Doors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I have included release notes and graphics from the touch screen. Two door photos of the new half open position show how wide the door is open. I can easily enter under the protection of the door side.

Most important are the two set positions for Falcon Wing Doors. This is for both for a controls setting and touch screen controls. Seems like the lower position is engineered for the rain or low garage access. Easy entry to the seats, but the door side sticks way out. It is a game changer for the doors in unique weather situations and to help with low ceilings.

While the key fob can close the driver door by pressing the lock on the key fob or by walking away, there is NO key fob PRESS to open the driver door. Either the auto door setting must be active or you have to manually press the door button handle as usual. The walk up auto presenting door feature opens the door fully. The door button press opened it a small amount - UPDATE: The manual door button press did open fully at another time. Each driver must decide what is best for them.

One more thing... the driver door opens when you approach the trunk. It does NOT wait until you are next to the driver door.

Last edited:
It's amazing how a firmware upgrade can make such a difference. I've only had it for a few hours, but wow, how did I live without it.

Here's a couple of pics - but no need to worry about stealing thunder or anything else - these are bad shots - have at it. I was just running out for dinner - didn't want to preclude others!

I'm really impressed - and I was already impressed!

-jason
IMG_0711.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 164
I'm currently nerding out with my friend over the fact that an OTA update made doors open and close more efficiently :D

Is it just me, or do the doors seem to open and close significantly faster than what I've seen in videos? Those videos almost seem like the doors open/close in half the speed. Falcon wing doors are now out of beta?

Thanks so much for the videos--your contributions are always appreciated for us fanboys.

This is exactly the kind of good news and responsiveness that has made Tesla so unique. A great counterpoint to the (unreasonable) stock decline. Just heard my X will be on the truck tomorrow and Seattle by the weekend. I might have wished for an earlier delivery, but it looks like the wait will have been worth it.

So, the driver door will open FULLY when I approach the trunk? ... What if I park on the street? Would the driver door be hit by the traffic when I approach it?:scared:
It DOES open fully! Thanks for a perfect reason to turn OFF the AUTO FRONT DOOR setting when parallel parking.

UPDATE: More recent posts indicate it depends on the location of the key fob. Keep reading the posts for details.

Another option would be to put the key fob into a shielded bag, if that would work.

Do we have any videos of the self opening driver's door, from someone walking up to it?
I did take a video last night in the garage. I'd rather post a video taken in the daytime. The driver door opening speed appears unchanged, IMHO.

Last edited:
A better worded sentence would have said it attempts to open fully. It still has sensors in it to avoid banging into something.

In a city environment there could be no obstacle there, door opens, car driving along the street slams on the brakes to avoid hitting it. At least I think that's what pchan was getting at.

Last edited: