Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Notre Dame Supercharging Navigation Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used the Notre Dame, IN supercharger. I found that the GPS kept trying to navigate me on a bike path, as the road was incorrect in the area and the GPS could not process it correctly. I did find that the Google Maps version showed the correct road however. It took a while to get to the supercharger as the nav kept complaining. I believe this might be more of GPS related post and would be happy to place this elsewhere, but wanted to see if others had experienced a similar issue.

Car: P85D
FW Version: 2.9.172

-Kyle

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used the Notre Dame, IN supercharger. I found that the GPS kept trying to navigate me on a bike path, as the road was incorrect in the area and the GPS could not process it correctly. I did find that the Google Maps version showed the correct road however. It took a while to get to the supercharger as the nav kept complaining. I believe this might be more of GPS related post and would be happy to place this elsewhere, but wanted to see if others had experienced a similar issue.

-Kyle

I think that you are talking about the Mishawaka, IN Supercharger.

In general, when close to a Supercharger, the Nav does not understand Shopping Center parking lots, etc. When that happens, zoom the screen way in, and turn on Satellite mode; I like doing this with travel direction up. Then it's pretty easy to orient yourself and find the charging pedestals.

Enjoy your Tesla in Antarctica...

If the road in question was by Notre Dame (on the way to Mishawake as Cottonwood pointed out), then yes. I had the same problem; I was either on or next to Notre Dame's campus. I have not used the Mishawaka Super Charger in about 18 months, and I had the same problem. I can't remember the road (it's been awhile).

Hello All,

-Kyle

I think that you are talking about the Mishawaka, IN Supercharger.

In general, when close to a Supercharger, the Nav does not understand Shopping Center parking lots, etc. When that happens, zoom the screen way in, and turn on Satellite mode; I like doing this with travel direction up. Then it's pretty easy to orient yourself and find the charging pedestals.

Enjoy your Tesla in Antarctica...

So cold he named it twice!

I'm at work at Notre Dame right now. You're probably talking about Douglas Rd, which is directly in front of the exit off the Toll Rd (I-80/90). The supercharger here is at University Park Mall, which is in Mishawaka. It's a few miles drive from the toll rd exit. Douglas Rd has recently been moved and re-done with roundabouts. Here is a map of the route you want to take.
supercharger.png

I believe that many of these problems come from the split-personality of the Tesla Nav function.

The main Nav screen map and "Sat" views are driven by Google Maps data from the cellular data source, but the turn-by-turn instructions and 3-D renderings on the dash (behind the steering wheel) display come from the on-board (made by Garmin?) GPS with its internal database. This is most apparent in areas without cell coverage.

The on-board-GPS, internal database is updated (downloaded) much less often than the on-line Google Maps database. I tough, questionable situations, I always rely on Google Maps on my phone, or at least use Google Maps on the phone as a backup.