Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on Auto Close Homelink

Does auto-close work for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It never works for me because by the time it triggers, the car is facing away from the garage and out of range. I back out of my garage just enough to get the nose clear, then pull forward and away at a right angle. If I wait this long to operate it manually, it doesn't work either. My standard procedure is to activate it after I clear the door while reversing. Auto-open works fine, since I'm facing the door when it activates.

It never works for me because by the time it triggers, the car is facing away from the garage and out of range. I back out of my garage just enough to get the nose clear, then pull forward and away at a right angle. If I wait this long to operate it manually, it doesn't work either. My standard procedure is to activate it after I clear the door while reversing. Auto-open works fine, since I'm facing the door when it activates.
This video might give you some idea on how to extend the range of your garage opener signal reception range.

- - - Updated - - -

Its hit and miss for both open and close. Works probably 75% of the time. But sometimes i have to press it 3-4 times while sitting in the same position to make it go.
When you said press 3-4 times, do you mean using manual Homelink? if so you may have a garage opener signal reception issue. See this video for some idea.

Yeah if the auto doesn't work i hit the manual Homelink button on the display. It used to work better and has been giving me problems in the last 4-6 months id guess. I tried removing and reading the opener but still the same issue. I thought about playing with the antenna but i was thinking just adding some wire to the end of the antenna rather than what the video showed. I suspect that may cause more problems though. Its not worth that much effort to me yet. The opener is only 2 years old too.

It works for me almost all of the time. Ironically, one of its weaknesses actually makes it work better for me. It works almost all the time with the garage. I drive in forward so my car is facing the right way. For the gate, I need it to open only for entry. I don't want it to open when I exit since that would open the entry gate. Since the location it wants to use for the gate is a few car lengths outside the gate, by the time I get there on the way out, I'm facing away from the gate and moving further away. So it says it's activating but it won't do a thing, which is fine. Ideally, for a gate it should know which side I'm starting out on, and should have an option for ignoring it on the way out.

The problem I had historically is that when I get to the exit gate, that's a likely place for me to want to either use the navigator or use my calendar to pick the location of my destination, and the drop down covers those buttons. When I'm backing out of the garage, the problem is that the drop down blocks part of the camera view. The area that's blocked is the one with anything that's parked next to my driveway, which is anything past where the curb no longer drops. So if a car is sticking out, I'd never see it. The same is true for a pedestrian on the sidewalk who would be coming into view.

I don't need a drop down that shows all possible Homelink locations. One for the current location would be fine, unless I explicitly press that little Homelink icon. There's no reason for them to block the screen.

None of the poll options seem appropriate for me, but it does finally work for me (usually). I had to reprogram it a couple of times, but now it closes at the right time when I pull out, and when I'm coming home, it usually opens. It sometimes opens a bit later than I'd like, but overall I like it.

None of the poll options seem appropriate for me, but it does finally work for me (usually). I had to reprogram it a couple of times, but now it closes at the right time when I pull out, and when I'm coming home, it usually opens. It sometimes opens a bit later than I'd like, but overall I like it.

That's a small problem and a big reason why the current method solves some problems. The old one was just as finicky when it came to when to drop down as the new one is when it comes to starting to open the garage. But it's less critical because it will open the door. It's just a matter of whether it will be fully open or whether you might have to slow down. The old way, the drop down might have been there at the right time, or it might not have been there. If you went to press the fingertip sized icon, it might have been that the drop down was about to have happened, it might have started a fraction of a second before your fingertip got there, and your finger press might have ended up canceling it. With the lag time, if you tried again, you couldn't be sure if a press would have worked or if it was about to drop down, so you risked having the drop down disappear immediately. Given the size of the button, there was also a risk that the slightest jar would make you miss it and you'd have the seat memory list drop down. And if Homelink did drop down, the slightest jar might have caused you to press the bottom entry, which was to program the unit. Then you'd get the entire settings screen, which was pointless since nobody would have wanted to have programmed a remote control while the car was moving.

But even if it did drop down and you waited for that, then you couldn't press the button until it dropped down, which meant sometimes having the garage door open later than other times. Overall, it's a big improvement now.

I have only had two issues since the update. One night, when coming home from work, the door did not open. All I had to do was press the button. The second was this Sunday, when I purposely left the garage open when I went to the store for 5 minutes. I actually had something in front of the sensor to the door. I never leave my garage open, but somebody else was at the house with their car in the drive, so I felt OK about it. I came home and pulled in. No auto open or close, which was good. Monday am, when I got in the car with the garage door closed, which I now always do (thanks Tesla!), the button said that I had skipped the open or close (not sure which). So I opened the door from the car, drove out and closed it from the car. It is now back to being happy again.

Funny thing is that my garage door opener has got to be from the 80's. It's so old that I can't find a typical remote that will work with it. But my Miss does. And I have had no issues at all.

I find that the auto open and close works better than when I was manually hitting the button. What would previously happen is that I'd hit the button approaching garage and it would partially open the garage. Don't recall if this was happening on close. This is on an old Chamberlain garage door opener with a fixed frequency with limited range. After the update, I think it's failed a couple of times only.