Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85 kWh battery removed from design studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, 85kWh is gone in the USA.

90D, and P90D, no rear wheel version of the 90s.

70 (rear wheel) still available.

Hopefully can expect 100kWh in the near future? Now when is that gigafactory supposed to be open?...

85 and 85D Removed From Design Studio

image.png

Tesla has has just removed the 85 and 85D battery size options. No more P85D. It looks like they are trying to streamline their production. Or is there a 100 kW option on the horizon?

Only matter of time. The Canada site lost it earlier in the week or so. Glad I got my order in before they got rid of the 85. I didnt want the 70 and with the price bump I couldnt get the 90 although I wouldnt mind it given the chance.

A lot of people will miss the 85kwh option, especially that it is 3000 dollars cheaper and it supercharge faster too.

It make sense to remove RWD for the 90kwh option though, to maximize efficiency in manufacturing.

I know Tesla likes to keep everything secret and tells nobody anything before just making changes with no announcement. Leaving us to find out accidentally on their website or through forum posts. When Tesla was desperate to get cars sold and delivered prior to the end of 2015 to get more sales on the books, they were calling everyone trying to sell them a car, even "negotiating" on anything other than the actual price of the car (trade in values, items included, etc), they would have been really smart to announce "85 kwh and rwd options will no longer be available in 2016". For anyone that needed a battery with more than 70 kwh and was holding off, likely would have sped up their purchase to save $8,000. They seem to think pre-announcements will hurt sales and therefore keep it all secret. Instead, it just pisses people off that were close to making a purchase on a car that two days later is no longer available. I also think it would have the opposite effect in rushing people to make their purchase sooner. Sure, I understand not wanting to hurt sales with an announcement that the car is going to have major changes in a week or two, but pre-announcing when items are no longer going to be available would likely help their sales and avoid angering potential would be customers. Basically, the base model above the 70 kwh when up 10% overnight ($80,000 is now $88,000 if you need more than the 70 kwh battery). Sure, you get more, but for many, what they get more may be totally unnecessary for their needs and will be of no benefit to them. So in their eyes, the change just costs them 10% ($8,000) more for a car that will provide them no additional enjoyment than the $80,000 car would have.

The only thing I'm curious about without being able to upgrade to a 90kwh battery how many people are going to spend 10k just to go 0-60 .3 seconds faster? Isn't that the only benefit now since the 85kwh are now all 90kwh standard? Maybe a lot of people will still but it seems kinda silly IMO to do so with no real benefit now unless you're that hyped up about speed.

The only thing I'm curious about without being able to upgrade to a 90kwh battery how many people are going to spend 10k just to go 0-60 .3 seconds faster? Isn't that the only benefit now since the 85kwh are now all 90kwh standard? Maybe a lot of people will still but it seems kinda silly IMO to do so with no real benefit now unless you're that hyped up about speed.
You could choose the 90D without chosen P90D

I know Tesla likes to keep everything secret and tells nobody anything before just making changes with no announcement. Leaving us to find out accidentally on their website or through forum posts. When Tesla was desperate to get cars sold and delivered prior to the end of 2015 to get more sales on the books, they were calling everyone trying to sell them a car, even "negotiating" on anything other than the actual price of the car (trade in values, items included, etc), they would have been really smart to announce "85 kwh and rwd options will no longer be available in 2016". For anyone that needed a battery with more than 70 kwh and was holding off, likely would have sped up their purchase to save $8,000. They seem to think pre-announcements will hurt sales and therefore keep it all secret. Instead, it just pisses people off that were close to making a purchase on a car that two days later is no longer available. I also think it would have the opposite effect in rushing people to make their purchase sooner. Sure, I understand not wanting to hurt sales with an announcement that the car is going to have major changes in a week or two, but pre-announcing when items are no longer going to be available would likely help their sales and avoid angering potential would be customers. Basically, the base model above the 70 kwh when up 10% overnight ($80,000 is now $88,000 if you need more than the 70 kwh battery). Sure, you get more, but for many, what they get more may be totally unnecessary for their needs and will be of no benefit to them. So in their eyes, the change just costs them 10% ($8,000) more for a car that will provide them no additional enjoyment than the $80,000 car would have.

I suspect they needed to streamline production, so they needed to sunset the 85KWhr battery with the new 90 becoming available. If they offered the 90 battery at the same price as 85, they would upset people who just got 85's, so they kept the price the same. By simply removing the option, they annoyed the least number of people - only those who were thinking of getting the S85. I suspect S85 was not a very popular choice to begin with, further lowered by the fact that those who wanted S85 have a whole lot of CPO S85's to choose from - all S85's CPO's listed today are under $80K (and starting as low as $53K), some with mileage as low as 4K miles and some may even come with AP hardware - they all come with 4yr/50K miles warranty too.

Bottom line, any lineup changes are likely to upset people. This was probably a choice in how to upset the smallest number of potential customers. And really, if you were close to pulling a trigger on S85, look hard at the CPO's, there are some great deals to be had on S85's.

No more RWD option either. Now if you want more than a 70 kwh battery, it will cost you $8,000 more. Starting price is $88,000 for anything above the 70 kwh choice.
Well, still better than Germany... 98.000 € (yeah, ok that's with tax)

70D is a slightly above the Mercedes S-Class base price 83k, so only RWD cheaper
scared.gif

I suspect they needed to streamline production, so they needed to sunset the 85KWhr battery with the new 90 becoming available. If they offered the 90 battery at the same price as 85, they would upset people who just got 85's, so they kept the price the same. By simply removing the option, they annoyed the least number of people - only those who were thinking of getting the S85. I suspect S85 was not a very popular choice to begin with, further lowered by the fact that those who wanted S85 have a whole lot of CPO S85's to choose from - all S85's CPO's listed today are under $80K (and starting as low as $53K), some with mileage as low as 4K miles and some may even come with AP hardware - they all come with 4yr/50K miles warranty too.

Bottom line, any lineup changes are likely to upset people. This was probably a choice in how to upset the smallest number of potential customers. And really, if you were close to pulling a trigger on S85, look hard at the CPO's, there are some great deals to be had on S85's.
I think you didn't completely get his point. He never wanted them to offer the 90 at the same price, but just give people the opportunity to buy the old 85 in time. They would not have to annoy anyone short term.

Also there is not a single S85 with AP on the CPO page right now. The whole reason all those S85 are there is because they lack AP.

Last edited:
This makes good sense to me. I'm sure Tesla has been analyzing their sales data during the period where both the 85 and 90 were available for the $3K option. Likely showed that people generally figured the $3K was worth it and it simplifies things for Tesla. Or it had nothing to do with that and Tesla just wanted to clear the supply chain of all 85 kwh batteries and has now done so.

Has the 0-60 performance increased on the 90D (compared to 85D)? Could have sworn the 85D was 4.4s.

Interestingly, I spoke to one of the sales team at the Bristol, UK store on Friday last week and he mentioned they were told there would be a price increase on Monday (today). He didn't seem to know about the removal of the 85 option when I mentioned the Canada removal.