Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You 85kWh -> 90 kWh, me 40kWh -> your old 85 kWh pack + money to you...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have 40kWh Tesla, because the supercharger network can now finally reach the place I'd most like to take the car, I'd like to make the leap to upgrade to 85kWh / 90kWh pack... Given how little I drive (20k km in 3 years), it's hard to justify the cost of a new 90kWh pack. Maybe you have an 85 pack and you want a 90 pack, and you also can't justify the price of the pack outright.

I'd be interesting in taking your old 85 pack for some sum of money that would help you offset the cost on the 90 pack. You get a break, I get a break, and we save a big pack of batteries from going to waste.

Maybe it's a crazy idea, I'm throwing it out there...

-G

You 85kWh -> 90 kWh, me 40kWh -> your old 85 kWh pack + money to you...

Unfortunately, Tesla has stated anyone taking advantage of the 85->90 upgrade must give their 85 pack to Tesla as part of the deal. It doesn't make financial sense. You're much better off selling your current car and buying new to make the jump. The same thing likely applies to you as well. On trade, tesla generally offers a good price on 40's because they turn around and unlock SC and make it a 60. Plus you would gain AP and all of the other goodies. If you don't want the new features, then a CPO 85 would be a good option for you.

Actually, I did look into that. Tesla offered me $35K CAD for my 40, the cheapest CPO listed on http://ev-cpo.com/ in Canada is $80K for a non-AP P85. It is >$10K cheaper for me to purchase a brand new 90kWh battery. That's why I'm looking to find out if anyone is trading in a pack. Maybe if we talk to Tesla at the same time, a deal can be worked out. It's not like they are going to turn around a put the old 85 pack back into another car...

Unfortunately, Tesla has stated anyone taking advantage of the 85->90 upgrade must give their 85 pack to Tesla as part of the deal. It doesn't make financial sense. You're much better off selling your current car and buying new to make the jump. The same thing likely applies to you as well. On trade, tesla generally offers a good price on 40's because they turn around and unlock SC and make it a 60. Plus you would gain AP and all of the other goodies. If you don't want the new features, then a CPO 85 would be a good option for you.

If you are interested in selling your 40kwh Model S, I will offer you more money for than Tesla. Sent me a private message if you are interested.

Hi All,

I have 40kWh Tesla, because the supercharger network can now finally reach the place I'd most like to take the car, I'd like to make the leap to upgrade to 85kWh / 90kWh pack... Given how little I drive (20k km in 3 years), it's hard to justify the cost of a new 90kWh pack. Maybe you have an 85 pack and you want a 90 pack, and you also can't justify the price of the pack outright.

I'd be interesting in taking your old 85 pack for some sum of money that would help you offset the cost on the 90 pack. You get a break, I get a break, and we save a big pack of batteries from going to waste.

Maybe it's a crazy idea, I'm throwing it out there...

-G

Check with Tesla to confirm that they will install an 85kWh battery you provide to them into your S40. Because I think they will say that they will not do it.

I'll inquire about it when I speak to them this week. My 12V battery is reporting it's dying again. I might have to buy the 90 get it installed and take the car to my buddy's shop, drop the pack out and swap it with the buyer's pack if Tesla is going to be a PITA about it. :\

Check with Tesla to confirm that they will install an 85kWh battery you provide to them into your S40. Because I think they will say that they will not do it.

I'll inquire about it when I speak to them this week. My 12V battery is reporting it's dying again. I might have to buy the 90 get it installed and take the car to my buddy's shop, drop the pack out and swap it with the buyer's pack if Tesla is going to be a PITA about it. :\
And the question is will the car recognize it? I suspect the firmware will have to be updated.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it truly a 40? I thought the 40s that were sold were actually 60s that were software limited.
If so you can pay Tesla to turn it into a 60. I believe a member of our club already did that.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this from 2013
image.jpeg

It's a true 40, I actually took delivery of the car on June 24th of 2013 after waiting 3 years and 7 months and 20 something days... Guess that explains why I never got that particular email.

The only thing that needs to change is the firmware, probably 2 lines in a config file, 1 to set the SoC limit to 100% and the other to flip Super Charging to yes... I'd be surprised if they can't do it from the service screen.

After they insulted me with a low trade-in value (they would resell the car for 50%+ more than what they offered me), I figured I'd rather put money towards helping someone else [LazMan perhaps] + myself get a hardware upgrade rather than spend $15K for Tesla to toggle the firmware switches.

And the question is will the car recognize it? I suspect the firmware will have to be updated.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it truly a 40? I thought the 40s that were sold were actually 60s that were software limited.
If so you can pay Tesla to turn it into a 60. I believe a member of our club already did that.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this from 2013View attachment 110988

- - - Updated - - -

Given the unfavourable exchange rate, and the logistics involved in getting the pack here from Arizona, it would probably be no cheaper than getting a new 90kWh. :(

Thanks for looking around for me though! :D

Here's a guy selling an 85 battery...

Model S 85kw battery
Model S 85kw battery

Tesla won't do it. A 60 owner approached me with the idea back when I was looking into the 90 pack option (and keeping my 85 pack, but Tesla shot that down). 85 would go to the 60, 90 to the 85 and the 60 to Tesla for the return. They said they would not "play musical batteries" with the cars. :(

One would expect that if the pack were swapped on any other battery configuration of model S (60->85, 60->90, 85->90, 90->120+), it would work with no software configuration changes. The firmware would read the battery/pack fuse/drive train combination and be know how to fully utilize it.

Only the 40 has an SoC cap, for anything other than a direct warranty pack replacement I think the SoC limit should be removed. As to what Tesla will or won't do, I don't have the answer to that.

Are you even sure Tesla will do this for you if you change the pack yourself?

Bummer... I think the 60 might have to get the 90 and then have it pack swapped for the 85 (+ money) at an independent shop.

Tesla won't do it. A 60 owner approached me with the idea back when I was looking into the 90 pack option (and keeping my 85 pack, but Tesla shot that down). 85 would go to the 60, 90 to the 85 and the 60 to Tesla for the return. They said they would not "play musical batteries" with the cars. :(

It's a true 40, I actually took delivery of the car on June 24th of 2013 after waiting 3 years and 7 months and 20 something days...
I'm unclear on your meaning of "true 40". To my knowledge, all "40 kWh" Model S vehicles contain chemically and structurally equivalent batteries to 2013 "60 kWh" Model S vehicles. The difference is firmware/software of the "host" vehicle, not the battery pack itself. This is why many on TMC refer to it as a "40/60".

Definitely check with Tesla on the price and availability of unlocking the "full '60' kWh" of your pack -- via email for clarity, tracking and reference -- so you know the options you have available.

When I responded it was a true 40, I meant yes it's actually a 40 as in yes, there are still a few of us left driving around with a 60 kWh battery that has with a SoC charge cap of 72% which is actually a 42kWh, if we are being pedantic. :D

As I've stated previously, it's actually more then 15K when you add SC and tax, I would rather spend that money on hardware that increases the value of the car and benefits another owner.

I was in exactly the same dilemma last year with my 40kwh. Back then the trade in value was much better and I traded up to a CPO P85. Though my old 40kwh didn't have the TP and that further incentivized me to trade up.
I talked to SC folks and they said they wouldn't swap the battery to an 85kwh.