Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to prop up the wipers in advance of snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know the trick that people do before a snow storm by propping up the wipers to make scraping off snow easier. Can you do that with the model s. Doesn't seem you can since the arms are recessed under the hood. Experinced owners please comment. Thanks.

Btw after driving ICE cars it's weird that the hood doesn't melt off the snow and ice since it doesn't generate heat.

I never knew why people did this... but I'll take that it may make snow removal easier.

Using your iphone to set the car to 90, even easier yet :) every so often just set it to hi, and the snow should melt off.

You know the trick that people do before a snow storm by propping up the wipers to make scraping off snow easier. Can you do that with the model s. Doesn't seem you can since the arms are recessed under the hood. Experinced owners please comment. Thanks.

Btw after driving ICE cars it's weird that the hood doesn't melt off the snow and ice since it doesn't generate heat.

This is counterproductive with the cold weather package. Use the windshield heater to free the wipers from the normal position.

No, this won't work. The wipers will move up but they still can't be pulled away from the windshield to a position where they will stay. All I can think of is to put the wipers in service mode then place something under them (maybe some sort of plastic box) to keep them off the windshield.

Not so. In service mode they can be pulled away from the windshield and stay in that position. I know -- did that in our 30" snow storm several weeks ago.

I never knew why people did this... but I'll take that it may make snow removal easier...
It helps with keeping the wiper blades from freezing to the windshield. If the car is warm when you park it, the falling snow will melt and if the temperature is well below freezing the wipers will freeze to the windshield. If you forget to free them after scraping the snow/ice off the windshield, you might burn out the motor when trying to use them.

FWIW.

It helps with keeping the wiper blades from freezing to the windshield. If the car is warm when you park it, the falling snow will melt and if the temperature is well below freezing the wipers will freeze to the windshield. If you forget to free them after scraping the snow/ice off the windshield, you might burn out the motor when trying to use them.

FWIW.

Yes, to the above..in addition. If you mistakenly leave your windshield wipers on by mistake (or have them set to intermittent) you can tear the wipers or break the motor assembly.

The wipers can not be pulled away from the windshield to a position that they will stay. The last time I tried it ended up resulting in 2 ranger visits to fix.

You could put them in service mode and then lift them a little bit (not much) and put something under the arms (a friend of mine used to use film cans, but good luck finding those in 2015)

But unfortunately these wipers are a horrible design whee pulling them up results in pieces of metal going flying (and the wiper still not staying)

I never knew why people did this... but I'll take that it may make snow removal easier.

Very common in snow belt areas. This image is just from Google, but almost every car in my work parking lot would look like this:

0efb989d_P1082050.jpeg

I wonder if it's an eastern thing? I see the occasional car here do that, but it's quire rare, and I've never done it in my whole life.

I always did this mainly to prevent the rubber blade from freezing to the glass. More than once I tore the rubber right off the arm when trying to extricate it from the window. If you turn them on while frozen, you can damage the motor mechanism as well. The issue (for me) is that the car would be warm when parked and snow falling would melt, run down the glass to the wiper area then eventually re-freeze as the car cooled down.

I wonder if it's an eastern thing? I see the occasional car here do that, but it's quire rare, and I've never done it in my whole life.

Don't try it on your Model S though, the wipers don't do that...

Before moving to Colorado 20+ years ago, I'd never seen it (even in Montreal where they have some intense winters). Some people here do it but I've never bothered. We don't have ice storms like other parts of the country and usually all I have to do is quickly scrape along the edge of the wipers.