Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front tow hook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all
There used to be front hook that was screwed in to the front, behind nose cone
That piece was normally located in the frunk under the carpet
Hook was used for towing (e.g loading car on flatbed, etc)
Is it gone now?
Is there a still existing threaded hole behind the cone?

The hook is now located in the charging adapter bag that came with the car on all Dual Motor vehicles.
I'm curious about the same thing, though hopefully I never need it.
There was was no towing eye in the UMC bag when I took delivery of my 70D in Dec. The owner's manual says it should be under the frunk carpet, however there seems no way to remove the carpet without first removing the rubber seal that surrounds the frunk opening, so I didn't try that

I'm curious about the same thing, though hopefully I never need it.
There was was no towing eye in the UMC bag when I took delivery of my 70D in Dec. The owner's manual says it should be under the frunk carpet, however there seems no way to remove the carpet without first removing the rubber seal that surrounds the frunk opening, so I didn't try that
Yep, none with my 70D purchased in June.

There is a towing hook in the dual motor vehicles as well. In fact it's in the same place in all the Model S versions.

I had to call the Tesla service phone this winter when I needed to be pulled out of the snow and he said it was located under the carpet in the frunk. I told him that there is no carpet in the frunk of the dual motor cars. He sounded puzled and had to go check on one of their physical cars to try to locate the hook and asked me to wait. In the mean time I got desperate and ripped out the whole carpet enclosing the frunk bay and lo and behold! There it was in a recess of the plastic floor of the frunk.

You actually have to pry out the frunk liner to get to the towing hook. :frown:

My tow hook is also under the Frunk liner. This seems to be the fact for D models.
When the weather gets warmer, I'll either place the hook into the trunk area or if ambitious, I'll slit the frunk liner with an Exacto knife to create an access flap. I'll use velcro strips to keep it neatly in place. If I get really ambitious, I'll document the modification.

I'm curious about this tow hook. I wonder if mine's missing. I've had my front trunk carpet out many times to clean it, and see the storage position in the plastic, but no tow hook. Could it be installed behind the cone, or would it not fit with the cone in place?

Just verified with SC
It's located under the carpet in the frunk
It's now more difficult to remove the trim and put it back, but it is what it is
I was just at the SC for another reason and asked about the tow eye for my 70D (Dec 2015)

it it is indeed stored under the frunk carpet. The tech showed me, it turns out it's fairly easy to pull back the rubber gasket around the frunk opening just a little bit and then pull up the carpet. Note you don't need to remove the gasket, just pull back the inner edge a bit to free the edge of the carpet. The towing eye is stored near the front left corner of the frunk floor. It's fairly easy to stuff the edge of the carpet back under the gasket when you're done

Last edited:
Yes, it's not that hard, i agree
However, i removed it from the frunk and put it in the UMC bag, apparently there is a space for it there

P.S. it is more difficult now to remove nose cone
I cannot unlock it by just pressing on the area next to the latch
I used to be able to do this easily with my 2013 car

Any tools you guys are using for this?

Yes, it's not that hard, i agree
However, i removed it from the frunk and put it in the UMC bag, apparently there is a space for it there

P.S. it is more difficult now to remove nose cone
I cannot unlock it by just pressing on the area next to the latch
I used to be able to do this easily with my 2013 car

Any tools you guys are using for this?

good idea, maybe I'll put my towing eye in the UMC bag too.

The tech today showed me how to release the nose cone, he just pressed down hard on the horizontal ledge above it (with the frunk open).
I saw this video below that shows basically the same idea, by sitting on it hard. no tools required:

Last edited by a moderator: