Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dayton-Albuquerque round trip advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dayton, Oh - Albuquerque round trip the end of March, first week of April. New P90DL; we go the speed limit (old folks) and this is our first long distance trip in a EV. Planning on using SCs all the way except for range charge out of Dayton (home).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

We are planning on two and half days of travel, about 650, 650 and 325 to ABQ and 325, 650, 650 to Dayton; overnight at Stoney CreekInn in Independence MO and Holiday Inn at the Medical Center in Amarillo both ways.
Appreciate the advice especially on patience. No plans on varying the overnight stops so no point in rushing through the journey.

Our first MS road trip was actually my wife taking the car by herself a few weeks ago on a 1K round trip. Not nearly as long as yours but enough to get a taste for it. As newbies here's what we learned:
- Elevation changes can be a big factor. Some of her trip involved mountains in NC and they ate juice quickly
- The trip computer in the car is your friend. It's not perfect but it does a decent job
- Unless you are damn sure I wouldn't skip SCs on my first road trip. I'd get some juice at each one along the way if only a quick stop to grab an extra 20-30%
- She lucked in to a hotel that had a J1772 and they juiced her up to 100% over night, that was awesome

You'll have fun - she did. So much fun in fact that she is now certain she wants an MX. Enjoy your trip.

Did you arrange for the hotel to give you a plug?
A 120v plug over 10-12 hours will give you 40-50 miles. In the cold weather, this will also keep the battery warm.
In cases when you a desperate for a charge (you may not be), the 120v-20A adapter may make 10 miles difference overnight when compared to the 120v-15A adapter which used to come with the car.
This came with my old car: NEMA 5-15: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-5-15
This is the 120v-20A, NEMA 5-20: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s-charging-adapters/products/nema-5-20

We are planning on two and half days of travel, about 650, 650 and 325 to ABQ and 325, 650, 650 to Dayton; overnight at Stoney CreekInn in Independence MO and Holiday Inn at the Medical Center in Amarillo both ways.
Appreciate the advice especially on patience. No plans on varying the overnight stops so no point in rushing through the journey.
It looks like 581 miles from the Supercharger in Dayton to Independence with 4 Supercharger stops between. Assuming each stop was only about 20 minutes, for a total of 1.5 hours of charging, and you averaged 65 miles per hour, for 9 hours of driving, your first day is 10.5 hours. At my older age, that’s doable but it can be tiring.
Your second day is 629 miles if you skip Topeka and drive directly to Wichita (210 miles). Those 3 stops will be a little longer and most likely be about 2.25 hours ofcharging. With 9.75 hours of driving that makes it a 12-hour day.
You could shorten your second day by an hour and a half by staying in Shamrock, TX and add the 100 miles to your easy, then 380 miles, third day.

Good luck on your trip!

I've done that trip back and forth 3 times as part of driving to Maine from Albuquerque. It's not difficult.. You'll have to go a little out of your way from St. Louis to Kansas City and then south to Oklahoma. The Superchargers in Southern Missouri aren't even being built yet, just permitted.
I wrote a blog describing my trips. www.teslaroadtrip.me
The 30 minutes or so at Superchargers is perfect for a bathroom stop, replenish your water, stretch, take a walk, get a bite to eat, talk to a fellow Tesla driver and off you go. Enjoy !

It looks like 581 miles from the Supercharger in Dayton to Independence with 4 Supercharger stops between. Assuming each stop was only about 20 minutes, for a total of 1.5 hours of charging, and you averaged 65 miles per hour, for 9 hours of driving, your first day is 10.5 hours. At my older age, that’s doable but it can be tiring.
Your second day is 629 miles if you skip Topeka and drive directly to Wichita (210 miles). Those 3 stops will be a little longer and most likely be about 2.25 hours ofcharging. With 9.75 hours of driving that makes it a 12-hour day.
You could shorten your second day by an hour and a half by staying in Shamrock, TX and add the 100 miles to your easy, then 380 miles, third day.

Good luck on your trip!
I'm with you on the timing. Those days get long ! Play it by ear, and don't rush to leave a supercharger without a good cushion. You might want to drive a little faster. You might run into strong winds. A few more minutes at a supercharger is always worth the wait.
Enjoy.

If you can charge your car overnight (on a 208v or 240v outlet), it will save you charging time in the evening or morning. Charge to 80% when you go to bed, and when you get up, you can use your app to raise the charge level to 100%. That gives you some time to get packed, get breakfast before the battery is full.

If you are charging via Supercharger at your overnight stops, charge a bit when you arrive, take the car off the charger before you hit a full battery, then plug it in again in the morning while you're eating breakfast the next day and plan to leave as close as you can to a completed charge.

For long term durability of the battery, its best not to leave the car with a full battery for too long.

I've done 4 round trips between Toledo, OH and Los Angeles, CA. You are lucky that the route no longer has supercharger holes (200+ mile spaces between SC). I agree with the comments that you should not skip superchargers until you get the feel for things. Cold weather does eat up mileage. Its best to supercharge at the end of the trip while the battery is warm instead of in the morning when the battery is cold. The charging is retarded in cold weather. I made this mistake and it cost me another hour waiting before I could continue. However, this was in 10 degree weather. My advice is to not leave charging until you have 25% extra according to the nav. Not speeding will help. I speed quit a bit so I need that extra cushion. My other advice is to use the autopilot. It really relaxes the driving. This feature was installed/downloaded for my last trip and I was shocked at how much further I could drive before feeling like I needed to rest at a hotel for the night. I originally thought autopilot would just be gimmicky, but man does it help for long trips.

Another bit of advice I have for trips is - if you are curious about what is around the next supercharger you are heading to, refer to the supercharger tips page. SUPERCHARGER TIPS AND REVIEWS | Tesla Motors Feel free to add info to keep this a valuable resource.

You should have have no problems. Enjoy your trip.

Any guesstimates about average miles per hour that includes drive and charging times? As a newbie this number is interesting, realizing that there are several important variables that are not factored into the simple number.
I see the smiles out there! Pre-first-trip jitters :)