Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla stumped with this list of outages in my car:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Currently, these things don't work in my car:
- bluetooth, at all. After reboot it says "Failed to initialize." When I press BT icon on top row, popup says "Needs service."
- no phone app, because BT is down
- navigation, cannot resolve destinations that are typed in and won't show blue path routing. Just spins and spins trying to find a match. No nav app pops up on left IC.
- no voice commands. For music requests off Slacker, and for nav requests. Says "unclear recording try again" for any attempt... very clearly spoken too.

Yet, these things do work in the car:
- internet browsing on 3G
- firmware update process, received two or three since this started, none helped
- center console map follow-me tracking of my car correctly positioned on the map moving along, tiles painting
- Slacker, and search requests that are typed are found and play

Last thing Tesla said they tried was rebooting Parrot module. No way for me to know if that happened.

Anybody had this combo of things not working on their car that got fixed somehow?

Things were all fine after 7.0, then the first update after 7.0 around early December 2015 seemed to have knocked this stuff out. Because it was the same day as the successful install message, that all this was no longer working. As a group too, all went together.

Sounds like the touchscreen control module is not communicating properly
with other modules. Did you check for too many Recent Nav Searches?

..tell more please

- - - Updated - - -

Center 17" screen and hardware need replaced. Similar issues with our 2013...

When did it happen for your 2013, when was it repaired?

And can you please send me any portion of the service order you got by email after the fact (any portion you feel comfortable sharing with me by PM would be great) It could help me get this moving along.

With Ranger fees now imposed, I'd have to pay to get them to come to my city to fix. Like it done right first try.

..tell more please...
Detail in another thread if you are so inclined, but net is, people have recently found that MS Nav retains too many former Places you searched for. Result is a slow down of Nav and perhaps other functions on the 17" for people with far too many -- reports of some owners having dozens, hundreds or more perhaps in their history. To resolve, go to Nav Places, and manually delete all the historical places you've visited one-by-one. There is no mass delete or apparent limit (like 10 or 20) as to how many places Nav retains.

Detail in another thread if you are so inclined, but net is, people have recently found that MS Nav retains too many former Places you searched for. Result is a slow down of Nav and perhaps other functions on the 17" for people with far too many -- reports of some owners having dozens, hundreds or more perhaps in their history. To resolve, go to Nav Places, and manually delete all the historical places you've visited one-by-one. There is no mass delete or apparent limit (like 10 or 20) as to how many places Nav retains.

Thanks for the tip, deleted all nav history since first day of ownership, hundreds but not thousands... rebooted console and IC ... made no difference to my problem set. :(

I'd say 2 possibilities.
1) software. If you had an update recently (7.1?) it's possible that it didn't get installed right, got corrupted somehow, etc. In this case the SC just needs to re-flash the firmware and it should be good to go.
2) hardware. As others have said, if the first choice fails, it needs a new centre stack.

Does a center stack necessitate screen too, or just the guts behind it?

And would it make sense to ask for 4LTE upgrade at this same time, or is that a different component that will just stay with the car during this replacement?

Does a center stack necessitate screen too, or just the guts behind it?

And would it make sense to ask for 4LTE upgrade at this same time, or is that a different component that will just stay with the car during this replacement?
My understanding is that they would replace it all as one module, screen and "guts", the factory may then recondition it later by pulling it apart, but not likely at the local SC level.

The LTE upgrade would make sense at the same time as they're already in there, but don't count on any discount for doing it that way (even though it saves them time)

I was proactively offered the LTE upgrade option at a slight discount when my touchscreen was getting replaced (since the dash was already in disassembly).

Grasp at recovering some money? Wonder if you said, no thanks, they just put in LTE anyway because that's all they stock now for parts knowing it works in any car, fewer things to carry as parts.

When did they make that offer (month and year)?