Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I give up. How do you sign up for the Extended Service Plan? The Tesla site routes me to the MyTesla page, but the option to sign up is not there anymore. Or, at least, I can't find it...
It's been off the page for a few days now as it seems Tesla is redesigning the site... I would suggest you call your local Service Center when they open tomorrow. They should be able to assist while the site is unavailable.

I recall $600 per year as the standard service. Now they are showing different prices depending on year/service needed. Still averages to $600 per year. But this makes much more sense.

Also interesting, alignment is called out as an additional cost if needed. Brakes as well.

It is still confusing as they intermix service plan with extended service. Specifically where they say they cannot be transferred, but can be credited. This sounds like a change?

They also don't call out if the regular service is required for extended service. They do say a service plan is not required for extended service.

Last edited:
So here's the new service schedule.

So let's see how much that first year service is worth. For our other cars I buy the Cabin Air Filter for about $35 and I replace it myself. For the wipers, you put the wipers in service mode and the improved Bosch wipers cost $25 for the driver's (28OE) side and $19 for the passenger side (18OE). The key fob battery is an easy replacement and the batteries are $2 on Amazon. Tire rotation and check can be done for about $30. So for a service that is worth about $101 Tesla charges $400. That's 4X to service what is supposed to be an EV with very little maintenance.

And the kicker is that our Mercedes dealer can do all this PLUS an oil change for slightly over $200 for years that only require a minor service and they do this all while you wait.

TeslaService.JPG

So let's see how much that first year service is worth. For our other cars I buy the Cabin Air Filter for about $35 and I replace it myself. For the wipers, you put the wipers in service mode and the improved Bosch wipers cost $25 for the driver's (28OE) side and $19 for the passenger side (18OE). The key fob battery is an easy replacement and the batteries are $2 on Amazon. Tire rotation and check can be done for about $30. So for a service that is worth about $101 Tesla charges $400. That's 4X to service what is supposed to be an EV with very little maintenance.
DIY is always cheaper. ICE car oil change is $50 or one fourth the cost if you DIY. The one year service is cheaper if you DIY and aren't concerned about missing something that the Tesla diagnostics might pick up and fix.

I'm just happy there are choices. To each their own deciding between Dealer Service with "free" Keurig/water/snacks, DIY, mix-and-match, or those that prefer to just do no preventive service while they lease or own their MS. The debate is endless and IMHO fruitless. The additional subjective point no one can put a dollar value on when it comes to SC (dealer) maintenance is if one never takes it in, there is no opportunity for Tesla to potentially take care of goodwill ECs and updates... there are examples in other threads where owners had door handles and other items replaced out-of-the-blue because they were in for something else, and the updates likely wouldn't have been otherwise done because they were not part of a formal recall. Whatever. We can each decide where our dollars are spent. I just know whoever looks at buying my MS some day, I'm sure will love their new toy having had annual service with complete documented records to back it up, along with remaining prepaid extended warranty and annual service through 8 years. ;)

I'm just happy there are choices. To each their own deciding between Dealer Service with "free" Keurig/water/snacks, DIY, mix-and-match, or those that prefer to just do no preventive service while they lease or own their MS. The debate is endless and IMHO fruitless. The additional subjective point no one can put a dollar value on when it comes to SC (dealer) maintenance is if one never takes it in, there is no opportunity for Tesla to potentially take care of goodwill ECs and updates... there are examples in other threads where owners had door handles and other items replaced out-of-the-blue because they were in for something else, and the updates likely wouldn't have been otherwise done because they were not part of a formal recall. Whatever. We can each decide where our dollars are spent. I just know whoever looks at buying my MS some day, I'm sure will love their new toy having had annual service with complete documented records to back it up, along with remaining prepaid extended warranty and annual service through 8 years. ;)
Good points. Personally, my 85D is almost one year old and I am weighing the options. Do I take it in for a "one year" service or perhaps a "two year service" since it has 26,000 miles? Or... just DIY. I could do the "two year" A/C and brake service myself but that is more complicated and probably better to have Tesla do that. Right now I'm thinking I'll take it in for a "two year" service and have Tesla go over it carefully to take advantage of their diagnostics. I'll have to talk to the service people in Rocklin and see what they say.
Are the A/C and brake fluid change time dependent or mileage dependent? The car is only one year old but has two years (26,000 miles) on the odometer.

Good points. Personally, my 85D is almost one year old and I am weighing the options. Do I take it in for a "one year" service or perhaps a "two year service" since it has 26,000 miles? Or... just DIY. I could do the "two year" A/C and brake service myself but that is more complicated and probably better to have Tesla do that. Right now I'm thinking I'll take it in for a "two year" service and have Tesla go over it carefully to take advantage of their diagnostics. I'll have to talk to the service people in Rocklin and see what they say.
Are the A/C and brake fluid change time dependent or mileage dependent? The car is only one year old but has two years (26,000 miles) on the odometer.
AC is not designated in the Owner's Manual. Like most cars, a Brake Flush is called out at 2 years or 25K miles.

Except we are talking about replacing wiper blades, replacing a key fob battery, and replacing the cabin air filter. I am not a crazy DIY person but even I can do all this in 20 minutes or less and just the hassle of not having to schedule and deal with the car being picked up is worth it for me to do those 3 simple things on my own.

This is also a matter of value for money. I'm not sure many will consider paying $400 for these simple tasks to be worth the cost or the hassle of scheduling a service visits.

The premise of EVs was the benefit of less maintenance but at these prices the maintenance cost is actually higher than a comparable premium gasoline car and that just seems wrong.

Except we are talking about replacing wiper blades, replacing a key fob battery, and replacing the cabin air filter. I am not a crazy DIY person but even I can do all this in 20 minutes or less and just the hassle of not having to schedule and deal with the car being picked up is worth it for me to do those 3 simple things on my own.

Can you do a thorough multi-point inspection of the car and be able to know, see, or recognize anything that's out of place or needs preventative maintenance? Can you run computer diagnostics on all aspects of the car (including the battery, motor, BMS, all the embedded computers) looking for issues *before* they fail? Are you able to disassemble every part of the car to do these inspections? Are you able to do an alignment check and/or an alignment if needed? Can you fix any of those things?

Every time you post this same, exhausting, diatribe trashing the Tesla service plan, you ALWAYS ignore the TIME and EFFORT it takes to do the Annual Inspection. It's *not* just wiper blades and batteries. Tesla does A LOT more than that -- and things YOU CAN'T DO.

As I've said before, all you do is post over and over and over again how bad the Service Plan and Warranty is, and how much better Mecedes is. It's been MONTHS now we've all heard the same things from you, over and over and over and over again. You are like a broken record. That's ALL you post about. Oh, that and how bad the 21" rims are. I don't think I've seen you post about anything *other* than the service plan, warranty, and wheels.

Is your objective here to trash Tesla at every single turn, and in every single thread when these topics come up? Because that's what you're doing.

So please, please, PLEASE stop repeating the same posts over and over again, it's really getting tiring everytime I see "MsElectric" popup in a thread, as I pretty much know what you're going to post.

Like I said last time, please try adding something NEW to the discussion.

I'll keep posting about what I feel are unfair policies until such policies are reasonable. Not that different from topics that matter to you where you too have repeatedly posted the same viewpoint multiple times...

Do you disagree with anything I've said? Do you feel this policy change where they somehow managed to make the ESA that was horrible to begin with even worse to be fair or reasonable to either current Tesla owners or prospective buyers?

You and I can agree to disagree on if $400 is fair to change wiper blades, key fob battery, cabin air filter, and an "inspection." Somehow premium ICE car dealers do the same inspections for a vastly more complicated vehicle at half the cost.

I am hoping with more awareness about how adversely this policy affects Tesla customers that they will do the right thing. Why is it so hard for them to allow the purchase of an extended warranty to cover the car for up to 8 years from the original in service date. Is that really an unreasonable request to allow an extended warranty that has been paid for by an owner to transfer to someone else when they sell the car private party.

If you decide to sell your Model S, would you really not want to have the option of getting the best value for your car by being able to offer it with an extended warranty that you have bought?

Last edited:
Those who purchased the ESA prior to the recent change can still transfer their policies in a private party sale, only those who have purchased them since November are unable to transfer due to the change in the ESA language. There is still value in buying the ESA to cover items that would normally be excluded after 50,000 miles. That hasn't changed. I don't think the transferability is a majority consideration.

Those who purchased the ESA prior to the recent change can still transfer their policies in a private party sale, only those who have purchased them since November are unable to transfer due to the change in the ESA language. There is still value in buying the ESA to cover items that would normally be excluded after 50,000 miles. That hasn't changed. I don't think the transferability is a majority consideration.

You are saying that because you got a personal exemption from Jerome :tongue:

I bought the Tesla carbon-activated cabin air filter ("pollen filter") and replaced it myself for $8.25. I did the ICONs for about that price as well. I figured since my brakes, drive unit, and battery were replaced in the past year, those fluids were all taken care of too. :)

I bought the Tesla carbon-activated cabin air filter ("pollen filter") and replaced it myself for $8.25. I did the ICONs for about that price as well. I figured since my brakes, drive unit, and battery were replaced in the past year, those fluids were all taken care of too. :)

What filter did you buy and where did you buy it? If I understand correctly you can buy the pollen filter part directly from Tesla for around $35.

Seems like Tire Rack has Bosch wipers at a reasonable price.

Seems like you have a practically new drive unit :) When they replace the battery do they also replace the battery coolant?

A Tesla car simply can't be compared to any other ICE car, therefore, I find your constant comparisons to MB to be irrelevant. And by scare-quoting the word inspection, you again are discounting to zero the time and effort Tesla Service Centers take during the Annual Inspection. Have you ever taken your car in for an Annual Inspection and learned first hand what goes on?
Some of us do own a Tesla and still think it's unreasonable.

Tesla keeps saying that it requires less maintenance than an ICE, it's them who are asking us to make the comparison, so I feel fully justified in following that invitation and doing so. When I then find that maintenance is significantly more expensive on the Tesla, after being promised the reverse, I feel that I have every right to speak up.