Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Central Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it is currently obvious that Tesla plans to connect Calgary with the US, and Winnipeg with the US similarly, on a straight North-South Connection for 2016, we keep hearing that there will be an updated Tesla Supercharger Map (I expect - with 2017 Forecast plans at least - if not 2018 as well) shown at the Supercharger | Tesla Motors page. I would like to know if anyone has had any more direct conversations with the Supercharger team that would indicate plans for the Calgary - Regina - Winnipeg Connections as well as Winnipeg - Thunder Bay - Sault Ste. Marie for 2016 - 2017?

Along this same thread - of interest would be the Edmonton - Saskatoon - Winnipeg Connections - and if they would be in 2017 - or 2018?

As per this map:

2-7-2016_4-26-45PM_Future-Central-Canada-Tesla-Superchargers-Question.jpg

The timelines seem to have been pushed back a little bit, so unfortunately I think your dates are a bit optimistic. I am a fan of their spacing in Western Canada so far however. 100-200 km between SCs have been a good metric. They will need to keep that up across the prairies as freeway speeds, strong winds and colder temperatures will likely provide a nice 10-40% rated range hit.

While it is currently obvious that Tesla plans to connect Calgary with the US, and Winnipeg with the US similarly, on a straight North-South Connection for 2016, we keep hearing that there will be an updated Tesla Supercharger Map (I expect - with 2017 Forecast plans at least - if not 2018 as well) shown at the Supercharger | Tesla Motors page. I would like to know if anyone has had any more direct conversations with the Supercharger team that would indicate plans for the Calgary - Regina - Winnipeg Connections as well as Winnipeg - Thunder Bay - Sault Ste. Marie for 2016 - 2017?

Along this same thread - of interest would be the Edmonton - Saskatoon - Winnipeg Connections - and if they would be in 2017 - or 2018?

As per this map:
Not sure where you got that map, but I have never seen or heard anything from Tesla that indicates any current plans to fill those gaps. Sure maybe a "yeah someday that would be nice" but nothing more than that.
Looking at how much SC development there's been in other countries, and how little there's been in Canada, it's quite apparent that Tesla doesn't think much of the great white north, so I'm not optimistic we'll see any of that any time soon.

Not sure where you got that map, but I have never seen or heard anything from Tesla that indicates any current plans to fill those gaps. Sure maybe a "yeah someday that would be nice" but nothing more than that.
Looking at how much SC development there's been in other countries, and how little there's been in Canada, it's quite apparent that Tesla doesn't think much of the great white north, so I'm not optimistic we'll see any of that any time soon.
Maybe someone should tell them Elon's mother is from Regina, and Elon's cousins live in SK. True story.
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/business/love-rockets-and-the-geek-tycoon/

See 2106 Map - North America from Tesla Motors Supercharger Page.

Not sure what that's supposed to prove to me, The map the OP posted showed a LOT more "planned" chargers than that, with "2017?" written on them, that's the part I was questioning, I'm pretty sure that's completely made up and wishful thinking, and not anything that Tesla has ever indicated publicly.
I think you misread the OP. He was speculating about where new Superchargers would be, and what time-frame. I think they were being extremely optimistic, as Tesla has shown no interest whatsoever in putting in any Superchargers to fill the gaps in Canada.

Let's not forget that some of these areas are very sparsely populated and there is nothing but bush for very long periods of time. I am not as familiar with Hwy 17 but I believe that on Hwy 11 in Northern Ontario you can go 200km between gas stations (Hearst-Longlac), or at least that was the case 20 years ago.

I would prefer to see the Southern Ontario SC map look like the Southern California SC map before they worry about the Sault or North Bay to Thunder Bay route.

I am sure that many of you will disagree with me, but I believe the vast majority of people paying $100-200k for a car are not interested in driving across the country.

I am sure that many of you will disagree with me, but I believe the vast majority of people paying $100-200k for a car are not interested in driving across the country.
How about interested in getting to the next city east of me? or getting to the US without a 2 day detour? I'm fine with the coverage west of me, but it's essentially the only direction I can drive. And regardless of whether you have tons of money lying around, until you get to private jet financial territory, nobody flies between here and Medicine Hat.

Yeah, I would. Paying that much for the car was in part to allow me to enjoy long road trips in comfort without adding reckless carbon in the process. It certainly wasn't to clean up my 5 minute daily commute.

And regardless of whether you have tons of money lying around, until you get to private jet financial territory, nobody flies between here and Medicine Hat.
LOL, I'm sure the RCMP highway patrol guys would be happy to correct you on that one! ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: Ciaopec and doubeld
And regardless of whether you have tons of money lying around, until you get to private jet financial territory, nobody flies between here and Medicine Hat.
Calgary to Medicine Hat isn't even fully across the province - my response was referring to putting SCs in Northern Ontario to allow one to drive across the country. I have no issue with relatively well travelled highways getting SCs.

If you have a 60 you pretty much need a SC to get from the east part of Toronto to Hamilton and back in cold weather - and we don't have that today.

so, according to the 2016 supercharger map, there is a route headed straight south into the united states from Winnipeg. Does anyone know if any progress has been made on this? Or heard any rumours about this? We are halfway thru 2016 already

How about interested in getting to the next city east of me? or getting to the US without a 2 day detour? I'm fine with the coverage west of me, but it's essentially the only direction I can drive. And regardless of whether you have tons of money lying around, until you get to private jet financial territory, nobody flies between here and Medicine Hat.
I've messaged the supercharger team asking them for a Calgary to Spokane (Coeur d'Alene) route too because even the proposed 2016 plan adds some 3+ hours of driving to Spokane/Seattle. While I'm hopeful that 2017 will bring better Canadian SC coverage, I'm starting to get worried that I'll open the site one day and see a bunch of 2016 deletes, or a 2017/2018 tab with our SC sites moved to those time lines.

We're still the country with the lowest supercharger to tesla vehicle ratio of any country Tesla sells in, while simultaneously being the one with the longest distances to drive between cities, and therefore the most need of superchargers.

I'm not asking for miracles, I just want Tesla to invest in our charging network in proportion to the number of cars Canadians have bought!

We're still the country with the lowest supercharger to tesla vehicle ratio of any country Tesla sells in, while simultaneously being the one with the longest distances to drive between cities, and therefore the most need of superchargers.

I'm not asking for miracles, I just want Tesla to invest in our charging network in proportion to the number of cars Canadians have bought!

I agree whole heartedly with this initiative...I think it will be very important for future sales in Canada for Tesla to be able to proclaim that any of their models can be used to drive coast to coast...within Canada!

Time to link up the Supercharger infrastructure coast to coast imo.