Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alarm Activation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced the following?

I Stopped at some shops today, got out and went in leaving my wife in the car. Five minutes later I hear an alarm going and see my wife looking embarrassed and a bit exasperated. I stopped the alarm by pressing the top of my fob.

All she had done was to open her door and get out of the car. Very odd.

Have I set my baby up wrongly (the car not my wife)?

I Stopped at some shops today, got out and went in leaving my wife in the car. Five minutes later I hear an alarm going and see my wife looking embarrassed and a bit exasperated. I stopped the alarm by pressing the top of my fob.

I have read about that elsewhere - I believe it is standard behaviour and nothing you can do about it. The answer is leave the key fob in the car with her.

Either leave the fob in the car or turn off the alarm. Otherwise, if the door gets opened, the alarm goes off - simple as that. See the manual.

If you want to take the fob with you, then I would suggest leaving your own door HALF SHUT... ie, closed, but not enough to register as a door closed. That will prevent the alarm from auto-activating when you have loved ones in the car and your OC character (like most Tesla drivers I guess) demands that you take your fob with you...

Cheers

I Had the exact same problem.

Left the elderly parents in the car (first ride) while I zoomed of to get Subway lunch. While standing in Subway the guy next to me comments what a wank that red car is screaming its head off. I agreed until I realized it was my nice new Model S. Dad had opened the door and I had the Fob in my pocket. I paid and left pronto.:redface:

Similar thing happened to me the other day. I took two younger kids for a play in the park while my wife and eldest sat in the car. The alarm went off. I was within line of sight and was able to turn the alarm off by pressing the fob. I figure you could also use the tesla app to unlock the car after it had auto locked.

But then you get into that 'what if' game....

What if you had a bag on the seat? Wouldn't you want the alarm activated then?

I stand by my remedy... Just leave a door slightly ajar...
That used to be a problem with anything on the seat. If you leaned on the middle seat with your hand the seatbelt thing would go off. It seems to have been de-sensitised on the later models. Hence if your bag Has to be very heavy to activate the seatbelt warning, which will drive you crazy, and means your bag belongs in the boot.
Hence I think its a workable idea, but like the current situation there will always be limitations.

But then you get into that 'what if' game....

What if you had a bag on the seat? Wouldn't you want the alarm activated then?

I stand by my remedy... Just leave a door slightly ajar...

Im driving what I consider to be one of the, if not the, best cars on the road today and you want me to leave the door slightly ajar instead of tesla doing a minor logic enhancement.

PS I really think it's the best ...

Im driving what I consider to be one of the, if not the, best cars on the road today and you want me to leave the door slightly ajar instead of tesla doing a minor logic enhancement.

PS I really think it's the best ...

You see... When something is already at its best... Then any improvement which to others seems obvious is suggested with scorn... Take for example how Gary concluded his last message on an adjacent thread regarding the car needing to be rebooted occasionally (no disrespect intended to anybody here):

"Apologies for the bit of rant, but a car as terrific as this should look its best at all times. I can't stand the thought that it would be "marked down", or prospective buyers turning away, after hearing about curable defects like this."

I myself have been guilty of this on frequent occasions too I may add.

As the best is the best, then it is the measure of all other things. It is in some respects absurd to speak of the best as being better...because by definition, the 'best' has then fallen short of the mental 'ideal' and is therefore not the best. This is especially so when the improvement is apparently minor or apparently obvious.

To me, part of being the best, is my car's ability to change: to be enhanced, to evolve. Operating system updates have moved the automobile into the 21st century, not only the fact that fossil fuels can be left undisturbed.

I now fear the day when new model releases contain equipment updates that will enable that car to outperform my existing one. And yet, if I think about it, every car I have ever bought has had this potential.

I meant no scorn when I suggesed Tesla continues their approach of getting the maximum potential from every car.

You see... When something is already at its best... Then any improvement which to others seems obvious is suggested with scorn... Take for example how Gary concluded his last message on an adjacent thread regarding the car needing to be rebooted occasionally (no disrespect intended to anybody here):

"Apologies for the bit of rant, but a car as terrific as this should look its best at all times. I can't stand the thought that it would be "marked down", or prospective buyers turning away, after hearing about curable defects like this."

As the best is the best, then it is the measure of all other things. It is in some respects absurd to speak of the best as being better...because by definition, the 'best' has then fallen short of the mental 'ideal' and is therefore not the best. This is especially so when the improvement is apparently minor or apparently obvious.

Best doesn't mean perfect. Best is relative, perfect is absolute. The model S is better than all other cars and is therefore the best. It is however not perfect and can be improved.

I'm not so sure that the alarm auto activating is a defect. It would have seemed like a great idea at the time, but it's one of those issues that over time becomes a very small annoyance. It doesnt detract from model s, and it doesn't alter the fact that this is the most incredible car available. Would be even more incredible if all of the anti aussie devices in the car were activated for us.

While the model S is very nice, just because it's a high end EV with innovative & alternative design, etc, etc, etc, doesn't make it the "best" vehicle ever. Just an especially well designed and innovative vehicle that like all vehicles before it (and after) will benefit from further improvement and redesign.

Back on topic: Other manufacturers have already dealt with the "key fob not in the car but something or someone still is issue". I expect Tesla will get there soon but in reality they're not always going to be ahead of their competitors regardless of the excessive ego stroking. [emoji38]

Volvo:
0e3c0b5ccf80d26c6820139b84fde3d7.jpg
6be97fe355deb930d6421e2233920ab7.jpg