Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Attn: Existing X Owners with kids in car seats - FWD lovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TSLAopt

Supporting Member
May 20, 2013
Northern Cal
My wife and I have had our X for just over 2 weeks now. Unfortunately 1 week of it there were some minor kinks we asked to have worked out at the service center and I was traveling for some of those other days. Although I have driven it, today was really the first DAD DAY with the Model X and two kids (3 and 1 and aother on the way in a few weeks).

It was AWESOME!!! We've had an S for 3 years which is incredible too, but the X with little kids in car seats is amazing, BECAUSE OF THE DOORS!

Today the kids and I must made 6 or 7 stops throughout the day where I had to take them out of the car and put them in. Sometimes in very public places and other times in private areas without anyone around.

My question for other X owners with kids is, HOW DO YOU PREFER TO OPEN THOSE FALCON WING DOORS AT ARRIVAL?

A)If I'm in a good outgoing mood i just hit both door buttons on the touch screen at the same time so it's like "BAM! Here I AM!" to everyone around who sees those two Falcon wings rise in harmony together. Then I begin the process of taking each kid out and into our double stroller one at a time.

or

B)If I'm feeling more introverted and don't want to draw attention (although they still sometimes do which is fine by me) then I'll pull up and just hit the one Falcon Wing Door button for the first kid I'm taking out. Then go around to the 2nd FWD and hit the outside door handle which seems less efficient bc you have to wait those extra 2 seconds for the door to open then instead of having it already open as with option (A) above.

Or do you have some other way to open those X doors on arrival not discussed above

Last edited:
We have kids about the same age as yours and are a few months away from delivery. I have actually thought about this very thing and how I would go about opening the doors as I go from one child to the other. I would imagine I would use the screen for one and perhaps double click the fob after having the first child out, while rounding the corner to grab the second child.

Do tell us how the car has treated you thus far. Thoughts, likes, dislikes.
It's all we have to look forward to after so many years of waiting and little info. :)

Just be ready for the time when the kids figure out they can push the close button with their toe. My grandson gets a kick out of catching me off guard and pushing the close button while I am focused on the straight jacket and seat restraint system. I can't imagine who he inherited this kind of behavior from.

I like the open them all from the drivers seat method. Even if I am only getting one grandson out of the car. My wife also wonders why it is necessary to open five doors for her when she walks up to the car in our driveway. Because I can does not seem to be a satisfactory explanation.

It it has been interesting to see how quickly kids and dogs figure out that the beep means get out and stay out of the way when the doors are in motion. Maybe because it is such a large object our brains naturally understand the need to stay out of the way when it is moving.

The third kiddo will figure all this out, and open the doors themselves... Just as an fyi, they also figure out how to unbuckle car seats, etc much more quickly...

My wife and I have had our X for just over 2 weeks now. Unfortunately 1 week of it there were some minor kinks we asked to have worked out at the service center and I was traveling for some of those other days. Although I have driven it, today was really the first DAD DAY with the Model X and two kids (3 and 1 and aother on the way in a few weeks).

We have kids about the same age as yours and are a few months away from delivery. I have actually thought about this very thing and how I would go about opening the doors as I go from one child to the other. I would imagine I would use the screen for one and perhaps double click the fob after having the first child out, while rounding the corner to grab the second child.

Do tell us how the car has treated you thus far. Thoughts, likes, dislikes.
It's all we have to look forward to after so many years of waiting and little info. :)

Yes, when walking up to the car with my kids i sometimes wish there was a way to open both FWD at the same time with the fob, but i can't figure that out...you have to hit one door side first, then once its open you can hit the other door side of the fob. Doesn't look nearly as cool as having both falcon wings extend at once.

Love the car so far, a few small QC issues that got promptly fixed at the service center over this past week that I've heard many of the Sigs have gotten, but the same thing happened with the S and they smoothed out the QC wrinkles as they ramped up.

Even though we had a Model S high performance loaner for the X in addition to our existing P85D we really missed the X for that week. Now that it's back, life is good again. Kids absolutely love the car and the FWDs too. That windshield is amazing and makes sitting inside seem so spacious that any other car feels cramped. The sound system is something people don't talk about but it so superior to any other car i've ever ridden in...one cool thing is that there are speakers in each FWD so when i'm loading or unloading my kids i still hear whatever music is going with surround sound right above my head.

Those doors are really amazing, they open inside of my small garage very well.

The one thing to be careful of is the trunk does not have a sensor, so when you get to your garage make sure you don't just let it open all the way thinking it will auto-stop or auto-adjust like the FWDs and front doors do. You must 'set it' to the height it can open the first time in your garage, the same as people do with the Model S trunk. Otherwise you could get a little paint chip kink in the back trunk the first time you open the trunk in your garage, which we got unfortunately. It's very small but painful since we only had the car for 2 days when we got our first chip in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations! seems like you're having a great time.
Do you have a Sig X or production? And what color?

pearl white Sig, i let my wife pick the color and its beautiful...the grill-less front really blares out at you when coming towards you in the white colored X...it looks very futuristic

TSLAopt: Supremely awesome! Glad to know the experience with your kids was more than you could have hoped for.

Yes, kind of feel like I'm in a Transformer (remember that show?)...just push those buttons all at once (both FWDs both front doors and the rear trunk) and it kind of looks like it...just need it to standup and turn into some walking robot next

I also love the Falcon Wing Doors having a ten month old and a four year old.

I open both doors form the outside (door handles).

Falcon Wing Doors draw a lot of positive attention. Mostly everyone wants them for the added utility after they view me get the kids out of the car.

It was AWESOME!!! We've had an S for 3 years which is incredible too, but the X with little kids in car seats is amazing, BECAUSE OF THE DOORS!

Today the kids and I must made 6 or 7 stops throughout the day where I had to take them out of the car and put them in. Sometimes in very public places and other times in private areas without anyone around.

My question for other X owners with kids is, HOW DO YOU PREFER TO OPEN THOSE FALCON WING DOORS AT ARRIVAL?

A)If I'm in a good outgoing mood i just hit both door buttons on the touch screen at the same time so it's like "BAM! Here I AM!" to everyone around who sees those two Falcon wings rise in harmony together. Then I begin the process of taking each kid out and into our double stroller one at a time.

or

B)If I'm feeling more introverted and don't want to draw attention (although they still sometimes do which is fine by me) then I'll pull up and just hit the one Falcon Wing Door button for the first kid I'm taking out. Then go around to the 2nd FWD and hit the outside door handle which seems less efficient bc you have to wait those extra 2 seconds for the door to open then instead of having it already open as with option (A) above.

Or do you have some other way to open those X doors on arrival not discussed above

My adult friends are kids at heart and are enjoying the ease of sitting in the 2nd row. The 6 seat interior with 4 persons is luxury, especially when I preset the 2nd row seats to the full rear position.

I am pushing both buttons on the touch screen to open the doors. Opening all 4 doors is fun as well, however this is all done before parking. The grand reveal of door opening is done at the restaurant entry where there is plenty of room for opening and closing.

For years I unload first and park the vehicle where it is more protected. It takes more time and walking for the driver; avoiding bumps and scratches is worth it.