Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P90D Accleration Testing, wow, be prepared, quicker than the Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is something really funky going on with traction/launch control that does not appear to be slip related.
attachment.php
It looks like Tesla is intentionally manipulating power early on as this repeats in other runs where traction conditions are different. If this is the case, Tesla appears to have the ability to put down much more power than they do at launch. More weight and tire may allow more power to be put through the X's tires.

I'm really missing that data from the P90DLs at the track and it looks as though some data from the X would be helpful as well for comparison. I think Tesla has a lot more software control of power down low then we have given them credit for.
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing - Page 8

Just to make sure people are clear, the Tested X is Ludicrous and he is comparing against the smaller battery S with Insane. Obviously a P85D upgraded to Ludicrous would be faster, not to mention a P90DL S which is in the 2.6 second 0-60 range.

Interesting. I drive a Model S P85D on staggered 21's and my wife's Model S replacement is a Model X P90D L. I have been driving her X while she says goodbye to her much loved classic S and gets comfortable with the idea of falcon doors.

I put 4,000 miles on her X in the month since delivery and have often thought, this beast can smoke my P85D. Then I think no it's just not possible. Now I know. It does pull harder, faster and longer than the non Ludicrous D.

There is something wrong in the universe when a seven seat four wheel drive people hauler can out run two seat purpose built sports cars. But so far I think I like it. Go ludicrous or go home.......

yea, when I left the Tesla center with the X yesterday, I got on it a bit I was immediately surprised, thinking, this feels much quicker and more responsive than I ever thought it would be...

Interesting. I drive a Model S P85D on staggered 21's and my wife's Model S replacement is a Model X P90D L. I have been driving her X while she says goodbye to her much loved classic S and gets comfortable with the idea of falcon doors.

I put 4,000 miles on her X in the month since delivery and have often thought, this beast can smoke my P85D. Then I think no it's just not possible. Now I know. It does pull harder, faster and longer than the non Ludicrous D.

There is something wrong in the universe when a seven seat four wheel drive people hauler can out run two seat purpose built sports cars. But so far I think I like it. Go ludicrous or go home.......

more to come, not nearly done... :)
Hehe, looking forward to it. Your videos are always a treat!

Sidenote: After getting halfway through my first winter as a Tesla-owner which actually followed a rainy autumn I have settled with the fact that the power of insane-mode isnt really usable half the year even here so I have opted out of the ludicrous-mania. Since late september some full pedal action has only been followed by the tc-light rehearsing for a christmas show;) Iexpect this to be the case until april:( last month I would be lucky getting 0-60 in 7seconds around here...

But still fun to follow this. Not so fun if I get creamed by a suv later this year at a stoplight. Was hoping only the ludicrous model S would do that, but oh what the heck. Price of a Model X P90DL here will lost likely keep that to a very unlikely event.

Part of this may be due to higher seating position in the X and panaromic windshield...

There is something really funky going on with traction/launch control that does not appear to be slip related.
attachment.php
It looks like Tesla is intentionally manipulating power early on as this repeats in other runs where traction conditions are different. If this is the case, Tesla appears to have the ability to put down much more power than they do at launch. More weight and tire may allow more power to be put through the X's tires.

I'm really missing that data from the P90DLs at the track and it looks as though some data from the X would be helpful as well for comparison. I think Tesla has a lot more software control of power down low then we have given them credit for.
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing - Page 8

Has anyone tried with really sticky tires - cup sports or something?

@lolachampcar. Since I have been spending more time on the X pages I have missed seeing your insightful comments. It's OK for Model S snobs to visit the people hauler pages and offer us the wisdom of your experience in the Tesla world.

After living thru the early years of Model S deliveries and all the hand wringing over sun visors and vanity mirrors it has been interesting to repeat the experience all over again as the X enters the world.

I didn't realize how much I missed the long time S posters until I saw your post this morning. I will need to visit the S world more often to do my part to lower the quality of discourse.