Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does auto lane change work for y'all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
So there I was, driving along with auto steer, and I came upon a car. Auto pilot allowed to follow, and I thought simply doing a full signal (stalk down all the way) should cause it to change lanes. The car surged forward, speeding up, but didn't steer into the lane. Eventually it slowed down to follow again. This normal? Or is something not working right?

EDIT: Note that I found the error. Turns out I had created a new driver profile, and by default it doesn't copy the current settings -- it turns auto-lane-change to "off". I had created a new profile but didn't reset the driver assistance settings. If this is your issue, then you might want to check to make sure it's enabled.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
Wonder if anyone has tried exiting from a highway using TACC I think the manual says it will do so and slow down upon entering the exit lane.... I have used auto steer and found it works well, but never had the nerve to try the exit thing.

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turnsignal when driving in the right-most lane
within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a
restricted access road only, such as a highway
or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control to assume you are exiting. As a result,
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow
down the vehicle."

Your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
So there I was, driving along with auto steer, and I came upon a car. Auto pilot allowed to follow, and I thought simply doing a full signal (stalk down all the way) should cause it to change lanes. The car surged forward, speeding up, but didn't steer into the lane. Eventually it slowed down to follow again. This normal? Or is something not working right?

You have to hold the stalk down until it has moved clear into the next lane. If you let up, it thinks you've changed your mind. As in you see a car coming up in the next lane, 300 yards away, doing over a hundred. Your car can't see that kind of stuff and depends on you.

It worked for me today just fine.

You have to hold the stalk down until it has moved clear into the next lane. If you let up, it thinks you've changed your mind. As in you see a car coming up in the next lane, 300 yards away, doing over a hundred. Your car can't see that kind of stuff and depends on you.

It worked for me today just fine.
Do you mean hold pressure on it past turning it on? I flipped it down until it latched in place. The car accelerated, as if it was going to perform the change, but it just didn't steer into the lane. I also tried just holding it in the lane change (unlatched) position.

I left the turn signal on for over 5 seconds, no traffic around me at all.

Maybe the sonic sensor detected danger in blind spot, or maybe the EU auto lane change routine is now implemented in USA. In EU, auto lane change requires first flipping the turn signal, and then nudge the wheel to initiate the actual lane change.
I nudged the wheel and it just disabled auto steer.

According to page 82 of the manual your hands have to be on the steering wheel, but it doesn't say that you should nudge it.

It also lists the usual "Are you sure you've enabled it" kind of checks and "no cars are detected by its sensors"...

There is a problem with auto-lane change at the moment. So far this has been the most reliable part of the autopilot package for me. But after the latest firmware update it goes haywire.

The dash indicates that there is a clear lane to change into. So hand on the wheel, set the blinker and now the "clear lane" just disappears from the dash. Nothing else happens, no dashed blue line, no change in speed nothing.

Then sometimes it suddenly works perfectly again. It's almost as if Tesla tweaked the "clear lane" code and it broke in a subtle way.

I tested this on an almost completely empty motorway and it didn't work reliably most of the time. A huge change down from the almost 99% reliability I've had so far.

Note this was in a Model S, but the hardware is the same.

Works very reliably for me.
When you instruct it to pass, is it across a double solid or solid line?
If not, I'd reproduce the issue and note the time. Then have service run the logs.
If it is, try changing lanes over a dashed line and see if that works.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if anyone has tried exiting from a highway using TACC I think the manual says it will do so and slow down upon entering the exit lane.... I have used auto steer and found it works well, but never had the nerve to try the exit thing.

"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turnsignal when driving in the right-most lane
within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a
restricted access road only, such as a highway
or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control to assume you are exiting. As a result,
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow
down the vehicle."

Your experience?

Yes, I've used TACC on exits a number of times, it works rather well.
This won't, at the moment, work with autopilot, only TACC.

It appears that I'm doing it right. Display shows no sensed obstructions, no cars ahead, well painted roads. Carr speeds up like it's going to change but never steers.

It attempted to do it Friday once but no longer does - different times of day, etc. Thanks all.

Ok. I'm stupid. For some reason auto lane change got turned off - I think it happened when creating a new driver profile. Thanks everyone... smh.

Last edited:
In the manual it states when using the cruise control, and following slower traffic you can use the turn signal and your car will temporarily accelerate to pass the car. This is for passing say on a yellow line. Is it possible that you initiated that and because you didn't steer around the car your tesla slowed back down? If you were in auto steer maybe there is a bug and it tryed a non auto steer feature.

- - - Updated - - -

Overtake Acceleration
When following a vehicle with Tra c-AwareCruise Control active, engaging the turn signalto indicate a move into the passing lane brie yaccelerates Model X towards the vehicleahead. By momentarily holding the turn signallever up or down (depending on the regionyou are driving in), you can quickly accelerateup to your set speed without having to pressthe accelerator pedal. The turn signalaccelerates Model X only when the followingconditions are met:

• Tra c-Aware Cruise Control is operatingand detecting a vehicle in front.
  • No obstacles or vehicles are detected inthe target lane.
  • Model X is traveling below the set speed,but over 45 mph (72 km/h).
  • The turn signal indicates a move into thepassing lane.
    Overtake Acceleration is intended as an aidwhen passing a vehicle ahead of you. Whenthe turn signal is engaged, Tra c-AwareCruise Control continues to maintain distancefrom the vehicle ahead, but allows you to driveslightly closer than your selected distance.
    Note: Model X uses its onboard GPS (GlobalPositioning System) to determine if you aredriving in a region with right or left handtra c. This enables the appropriate turn signalto provide overtake acceleration. Whendriving in right hand tra c, only the left turnsignal indicates a move into the passing lane.In left hand tra c, only the right turn signal(moving the turn signal lever up) indicatespassing. In situations where GPS data isunavailable (for example, inadequate signal),the turn signal does not activate OvertakeAcceleration.
    Acceleration cancels when:
    • You reach your set cruising speed.
    • Changing lanes takes too long.
    • Model X gets too close to the vehicle
      ahead.
      OR
    • You disengage the turn signal.
      Note: Your chosen setting is retained until youmanually change it.
      Note: Overtake Acceleration occurs when youeither fully engage the turn signal, or you holdthe turn signal in the momentary position(partially engaged). When you release ordisengage the turn signal, Model X stopsaccelerating (in the same way as when you

release the accelerator pedal) and resumesthe set speed.
Warning: Overtake Acceleration cancancel for many unforeseen reasons inaddition to those listed above (forexample, lack of GPS data). Stay alert andnever depend on Overtake Accelerationto increase your driving speed.
Warning: Overtake Acceleration increasesyour driving speed whenever theappropriate turn signal is engaged, andaccelerates Model S closer to the vehicleahead. Although Tra c-Aware CruiseControl continues to maintain distancefrom the vehicle ahead, it is important tobe aware that your selected followingdistance is reduced when OvertakeAcceleration is active, particularly in caseswhere it may not be your intention toovertake the vehicle you are following.