Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Q&A in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk QA with fans in Paris (2016.1.29) - YouTube

There is some good info on the ModelX production and Model 3.

Overview:
01:05. Elon thanks the crowd
04:10. Model S & X delivery
07:10. Autopilot and full autonomy
10:20. Powerwall
11:26. Superchargers in France
Q&A
12:45. Smartphone mirroring
14:00. Low oil prices effects on EV industry
14:45. Model 3 to be “unveiled” end of March
16:00. Open superchargers
16:55. Future Tesla factory in Europe
20:01. Charging time improvement
22:34. Powering your house with your EV
23:43. Increasing KM range
25:27. Solar panel on car's roof
26:15. Summon feature vs. regulation
27:40. Watching SpaceX launches
28:45. Sleepless nights about AI
30:30. Advice to France Finance Minister: carbon tax
33:00. Thoughts on Apple and Faraday
34:40. Voice control ‘accent’ issue

Last edited:
Has anyone knowledge of the "very big auto plant just north of Paris" that was mentioned at around the 17m point? The questioner was probing the possibilities for France to become the venue of a presumed-forthcoming European plant. Is this a shuttered Renault/Citroen/Peugeot/foreign factory? Size...age...etc.

I guess it's because...well, ya know...Louis XIV was the Sun King. They've not got it out of their collective system yet. Kinda like a long term zeitgeist....à la française...

Has anyone knowledge of the "very big auto plant just north of Paris" that was mentioned at around the 17m point? The questioner was probing the possibilities for France to become the venue of a presumed-forthcoming European plant. Is this a shuttered Renault/Citroen/Peugeot/foreign factory? Size...age...etc.
From left to right...
Name: Renault Flins
Description: Renault Clio III

Name: PSA Poissy
Description: Peugeot 1007, 207, 207SW

Name: Renault Sandouville
Description: Renault Laguna, Espace, Vel Satis

Name: PSA Aulney
Description: Citroen C2, C3

automotive factories in paris.PNG

I'd imagine that the PSA Aulney is the one he was talking about.
From Wiki
The
PSA Aulnay-sous-Bois Plant is a former car plant in France, producing approximately 135,700 cars in 2011. The plant was acquired by thePSA Group in 1976 when Peugeot took a majority stake in the Citroën company which had built the plant. The plant is located on the northern edge of Paris at Aulnay-sous-Bois, close to the A1, A3 and A104 autoroutes.

However it is currently closed
From wiki
Closure plans became known by June 2011 thanks to the publication by the trades union at the plant of an internal document, the contents of which management confirmed a month later. A four-month-long strike took place during the first part of 2013 and on 30 August 2013 the company's management announced that the closure scheduled for 2014 would take place in October 2013. The final car, a Citroën C3, was produced on Friday, 25 October 2013 and purchased by the "Citroën Héritage" organisation

Here is the tool i used to find them.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zG3RlFde60dE.kaFpz29yzqIs&hl=en

Last edited:
Thanks; that's surely the one. Google didn't reveal to me the plant's footprint but it is big enough to have produced an average of 220,000 vehicles yearly from 1973 to 2013; peaked at 447,575 in 2003 with 5,000 employees and the land area is 168.5 ha, or 415 acres. Just those data suggest it's a "big enough" plant....though we all know there's a lot more to consider.
From Google:
Unknown.jpeg

Pretty big for being that close to one of Europe's largest cities! 17mi/28km from the Eiffel Tower...

I love France but if I were looking for a place to build a factory not sure I'd decide to build a factory there.

Aren't they notorious for striking at every whim and tons of labor issues? Why add that mess to your production schedule if you can avoid that?

Why not build the factory in another European country with a well educated workforce but with more manageable labor considerations? What's the point in building a factory some place where the labor culture is based on strikes and disruption?

I'd go to France for culture, music, food, wine, and tourism. Not for labor.

I'd temper any thoughts I might have along those lines by saying "Who in his right mind ever would give the merest thought to having a car plant in the San Francisco bay area?" And for many of the same reasons you cite.

Thanks; that's surely the one. Google didn't reveal to me the plant's footprint but it is big enough to have produced an average of 220,000 vehicles yearly from 1973 to 2013; peaked at 447,575 in 2003 with 5,000 employees and the land area is 168.5 ha, or 415 acres. Just those data suggest it's a "big enough" plant....though we all know there's a lot more to consider.
From Google:
View attachment 110628

Pretty big for being that close to one of Europe's largest cities! 17mi/28km from the Eiffel Tower...

It also looks like it is being demolished.

Destruction du site PSA à Aulnay-sous-Bois - YouTube

DEMOLISSION SITE DE PEUGEOT CITROEN AULNAY SOUS BOIS - YouTube

If Tesla were to have a factory at that location they would need to rebuild the factory.