Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Utility trailer for MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need help choosing a trailer for personal use
It will be used to transport some small motorized equipment (e.g. Golf cart, lawn mower etc)
So ramp is a plus
Will be used to bring some drywall, lumber and firewood
anything house owner normally uses
5x10 is the minimum size with 3000lb GW
looking to spend about 2k

Last edited:
I need help choosing a trailer for personal use
It will be used to transport some small motorized equipment (e.g. Golf cart, lawn mower etc)
Will be used to bring some drywall, lumber and firewood
anything house owner normally uses
5x10 is the minimum size with 3000lb GW
looking to spend about 2k

Apologies if I have misunderstood your question but I have been told that the Model-S does not support a tow hitch. I was told this by my Tesla dealer.

Aluma looks great
I've seen some mission trailers
Aluminum Landscape & Utility Trailers by Mission Trailers - MU5x8WR
they look very similar and priced about the same
Many of them have ramps which is good but they don't fold flat when transported empty?
I wonder if that's going to create an affect like I'm driving with parachute in the back

better yet, what is the worse for range, pulling more weight or less weight with more drag?

Last edited:
I installed Torklift Ecohitch just like many members
its class ll rated 2000lb
I will also use the hitch for bikes

Thanks for this. It is clearly news to me and I am somewhat perturbed that Tesla gave me a straight "No" when I asked if I could fit a tow hitch!! Now I just have two questions: Does using this tow hitch invalidate any Tesla warranties? Can I get this hitch in the UK?

Thanks.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your question but I have been told that the Model-S does not support a tow hitch. I was told this by my Tesla dealer.

screenshot-2014-01-26-16-39-44.jpg

20141018_172903_zpsb5xze1kc.jpg

20141021_165633_zpsi5k3wqwx.jpg

5x10 is the minimum size with 3000lb GW. The harbor freight trailer is 40 x 48 inches and 870 lbs or 1/3 of the OP's specification. Also it's steel vs Aluminum which will be heavy and will rust without a nice garage or cover.

ATC 5x10 all aluminum
15 inch wheels
Removable ramp, which also folds flat on the bed
dry weight is 470 pounds
Got 320whm usage while towing empty at 60-65mph
It's rated at 3000 pounds
Meaning effective load is 2500
So while my hitch is rated at 2000 I can still put 1500 of the load

This is a bit pricey at $2100

Aluma looks great
Many of them have ramps which is good but they don't fold flat when transported empty?
I wonder if that's going to create an affect like I'm driving with parachute in the back

better yet, what is the worse for range, pulling more weight or less weight with more drag?

Yes the non-folding gate will have a big impact. I used to have a Chevrolet Cobalt Supercharged. I got on the highway pulling an empty 5x12 utility trailer. Normally the car was in vacuum about -5 but with the gate up it was boosting 7 psi. I was literally watching the gas gauge drop as I drove and it didnt help that I burned a mix of premium and E85 for performance but it also dropped economy about 15%. I pulled over after 5 miles on the highway and removed the gate to lay flat on trailer.

ATC 5x10 all aluminum
15 inch wheels
Removable ramp, which also folds flat on the bed
dry weight is 470 pounds
Got 320whm usage while towing empty at 60-65mph
It's rated at 3000 pounds
Meaning effective load is 2500
So while my hitch is rated at 2000 I can still put 1500 of the load

This is a bit pricey at $2100

Looks great to me. I would pay that much for it if they removed the cheesy website sticker.. :wink:

Last edited: