Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x; Compete with X3, Macan, Q5 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I recently was in the market for a $60K small luxury SUV. Would have loved a model 3 SUV alternate, but its years off. With how many X3's Macan's and Q5's are sold, is there any traction at Tesla to make this the next model, particulaly if the Model 3 is not ready financially at 35K? Perhaps the SUV comes to market first at $60K followed by a ramp up and the eventual 35k car for everyone.

SinGas

Hello
I recently was in the market for a $60K small luxury SUV. Would have loved a model 3 SUV alternate, but its years off. With how many X3's Macan's and Q5's are sold, is there any traction at Tesla to make this the next model, particulaly if the Model 3 is not ready financially at 35K? Perhaps the SUV comes to market first at $60K followed by a ramp up and the eventual 35k car for everyone.

SinGas

Tesla will unveil the Model 3 in some form or fashion in March 2016, and presumably the Model Y (the smaller SUV you described) will follow the Model 3 with no official date announced.

Hello
I recently was in the market for a $60K small luxury SUV. Would have loved a model 3 SUV alternate, but its years off. With how many X3's Macan's and Q5's are sold, is there any traction at Tesla to make this the next model, particulaly if the Model 3 is not ready financially at 35K?
"any traction at Tesla"? You would have to ask Tesla that question. And they won't answer you. Wait for the Model 3 reveal, it's less than 7 weeks away.

Honestly, given the popularity of CUV's over sedans, I'm a bit surprised that the Model Y (or whatever you want to call it) wouldn't be first out of the gate. Like it or not, CUV's sell better than sedans...

CUV's and Tesla

Honestly, given the popularity of CUV's over sedans, I'm a bit surprised that the Model Y (or whatever you want to call it) wouldn't be first out of the gate. Like it or not, CUV's sell better than sedans...

That's my perception. I understand the Model S--that makes sense with the technology as it was back in the day. I bought my last sedan back in 1972, and have only bought sports sedans, SUV's and CUV's even since. I don't know about other parts of the country, but X3's, Macans, and Q5's are everywhere here in New England.

SinGas

There was a report, which Tesla has since refuted, that Tesla would actually have a reveal of 2 vehicles in March, the 3 and Y. I said before the refutation that it made sense to me. As the two vehicles would be sharing a platform, it wouldn't be that hard to develop both at once.

I'm pretty sure the Model X is targeted against the Porsche Cayenne, not the Macan; BMW X5/X6, not the X3; and AUDI Q7, not the Q5.

Some here believe there will be a Model Y to compete against the full range of smaller SUVs on the market.